Dealing with Dealerships for Post-Fix Warranty

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
For those who have had post-fix issues (either 2.0L or 3.0L), how have you gotten your dealership to cover diagnostic fees?

It says right there in the pamphlet that diagnostics and replacement of parts (if necessary) will be performed at no cost.

I had a Q5 that had a CEL and flashing glow plug light (and stalled several times when coming to a full stop) immediately after
picking the vehicle up from having the fix completed. I brought the car to my closest Audi dealership, thinking this was certainly
covered under the warranty.

They cleared the codes (fuel pressure sensor and low voltage), couldn't replicate the issue, and are trying to charge me almost
$200 in diagnostic fees, claiming the "diagnostics" weren't warranty work and so I must pay out of pocket.

Based on my reading of the warranty pamphlet, diagnosing faults that trigger CELs OR diagnosing issues with the fuel system
sensors are both activities that should be covered under the post-fix extended warranty.

Service advisor does not agree, and Audi Corporate deferred to the SA, so am I just screwed?

TDI
'13 JSW Tdi, '06 A3 3.2Q
My wife brought our 2013 sportwagen to Colonial in Medford, MA today, for a dpf light. It needed a forced regen. They tried to charge her 300, but she argued for warranty and they reduced it to 1 hr labor for the diagnostic. She had the "fix" done 4 or 5 months ago. I think dpf issues should be on the fix warranty. They could offer no diagnostic explanation for the problem.

Im researching this now, as well.

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Wagon 285k - Gone ‘10 JSW - Gone '13 Q7 145k
I’ve been in to the dealer twice post fix. First was a CEL for NOX sensor, replaced under the extended warranty $0. Second was for cam chain tensioner rattle noise on startup that has developed. They couldn’t replicate and no fault codes stored, $0 and they topped off the 5 gals of DEF that the vehicle drank in less than 3k since the fix. Both times the service advisor had me authorize the standard $150 for an hour of diagnostics. I reminded him of the extended warranty and he acknowledged it offered fairly broad coverage and the diagnostic fee would likely be covered.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Wouldn’t a call to class counsel be in order, OP and others? Diagnose and replace could not be clearer language, and it is in the pamphlet twice.

Last edited:

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Wagon 285k - Gone ‘10 JSW - Gone '13 Q7 145k
If it is related to an item covered under the warranty I would show them the pamphlet and be insistent.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Very frustrating. I can understand confusion on the dealer side, but for Audi Corp. not to be aware of their obligation is unacceptable.

fxdrider

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
It's been just over 2 months since the "fix" was performed on my '09 Sportwagen. It's run like a top...until yesterday. Glow plug lamp lit and CEL. Occasionally runs rough now. Calling the stealership today. Can't wait to see what rigamarole lies in store for me this time.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
I just bought a 'new' 2015 sportwagen with near 0 miles and 27 months left on the normal factory bumper to bumper warranty. It has the phase 1 fix done, so it will be an interesting data point to see what a 0 mile car breaks after the phase 1 fix. Whatever breaks on this car can't be attributed to mileage/usage, and they won't be able to deny any repair.

ntwrkd

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd SEL
I could not find the diagnostic coverage in the warranty pamphlet..
HOWEVER...
The letter I received in January of 2017 states:
"In our continuing efforts to assure proper performance of Volkswagen vehicles, your dealer will diagnose and replace the emissions-related components listed in this section, if necessary, at no cost to you as long as the vehicle remains within the time and mileage limits of this warranty extension. Please keep this letter with your warranty booklet and deliver it to any new owner, along with the owner's manual"

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
They cleared the codes (fuel pressure sensor and low voltage), couldn't replicate the issue, and are trying to charge me almost
$200 in diagnostic fees, claiming the "diagnostics" weren't warranty work and so I must pay out of pocket.
This sounds like total BS. This is one reason I never put too much stock or value in warranties when buying things. Getting a company to actually honor their warranty can be so incredibly frustrating and makes me very angry.

I would definitely contact class council. I'd be back on the phone with Audi of America and I'd tell them that I want a written response denying the diagnostic fee warranty coverage so that you can share it with the council. Let us know how you make out!

I fear that this thread will grow long over the coming years with people reporting similar dealings.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
My wife brought our 2013 sportwagen to Colonial in Medford, MA today, for a dpf light. It needed a forced regen. They tried to charge her 300, but she argued for warranty and they reduced it to 1 hr labor for the diagnostic. She had the "fix" done 4 or 5 months ago. I think dpf issues should be on the fix warranty. They could offer no diagnostic explanation for the problem.

Im researching this now, as well.
Don't let them off the hook! Get your 1 hour fee back.

Also, quoted for the irony...dealer logic at its best.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
@OP Not that it should make a difference, but did you return to the same dealership that originally applied the fix?

shortstuff_mt

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof DSG
I wouldn't let them off the hook. The warranty pamphlet is clear that diagnostics are to be covered. Also, don't forget the statement "conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer".

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
I wouldn't let them off the hook. The warranty pamphlet is clear that diagnostics are to be covered. Also, don't forget the statement "conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer".
I agree. Though you may not care about this one way or the other, what you fight for or accept will help cement a precedent for that particular dealer in how they choose to handle the future warranty claims. You're fighting the good fight for everybody that has to have that dealership perform warranty work in the future:D

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
@OP Not that it should make a difference, but did you return to the same dealership that originally applied the fix?
I actually went to a different dealership because the dealership that performed the fix didn't provide me with a loaner OR fill up the fuel tank after completing the service. Lackadaisical service is pretty much the defining characteristic of VW and Audi dealers, I'm learning.

Ended up complaining enough and escalating with Audi USA until the fee was covered, but it shouldn't have been required. As others have stated, the warranty specifically says that any issues on the long list of covered items (including anything that causes a CEL) will be diagnosed (and replaced if necessary) free of charge.

For those of you getting hit with diagnostic fees, it should not be happening. Keep fighting the good fight, folks.

Car is driving fine now, go figure.

Lookoutron

TDI
2013 Golf Sportwagon
June 2020 the glow plug light started to flash and then the check engine light came on. The code indicated a problem with the Turbo Positioning actuator. Took the care to the dealership in Victoria BC. Agreed to pay $150 diagnostic fee in case the problem wasn’t covered by the extended TDI warranty. Later that day I got a call from VW letting me know they needed to get a part from Vancouver and they would call us tomorrow. The next day they phoned to say they needed more parts and they had to be ordered from Ontario but not to worry as the actuator was covered by the warranty. 5 days later they called to say the car was ready.

When I went to pick the car up they presented a bill for more than $500 saying that the N75 sensor they replaced on day 2 was not covered by warranty. This is the first part they replaced that did not resolve the issue. After discussing the bill for an hour they offered a “good will” reduction to the amount of the diagnostic fee that I agreed to pay when I dropped the car off.

Then the car was parked for a couple a months while we went camping. On the first drive in a month the flashing glow plug light followed by the check engine light was back. Took the car in on Aug 20 and told them that the issue had not been resolved but all they would offer is to book another diagnostic and that I should bring it back next week. We carried on with our vacation in our camper van and in September made an appointment and took the car in. The service representative called to tell us the car had a cracked vacuum line to the brake booster and it needed to be fixed... not covered by warranty.

I was done with them and insisted they return the car to my wife and waive the fee. After an hour or so they agreed and insisted my wife sign a form acknowledging that they told my wife the car was not safe to drive. Bear in mind the car was operating just fine when she dropped it off. The check engine light was not on but the code was stored on the ecu. When she drove it away from the dealership it barely ran. No power, max speed 75km, and the glow plug light was flashing and the check engine light was on. I took the air intake off and removed the vacuum tube from the brake booster. It was broken. The knowledgeable fellow at the local auto parts store sold me some vacuum hose for $4 and 5 minutes later the car was fixed. I am sure the tube was broken by the dealership and likely had a small crack that caused the original error code to be thrown. Sadly this has cost VW the cost of a actuator and labor, cost me $154 plus removed chance of repairing any sort of relationship with the local dealership. What else can I say?

The warranty is worth nothing!

I also called VW Canada to ask what exactly was covered by the warranty as it seemed odd to me that the dealership insisted that the repair plan they followed said that the first thing to do to address this error code was to replace the N75 sensor... a part not covered by the warranty. The customer service rep at VW Canada told me that its up to the dealership to decide what is covered by warranty. I was flabbergasted by her response as there must be some sort of definitive list of what is covered and a copy of the repair plan. She insisted that there was not. Amazing!

Last edited: