dealer says new turbo is needed ...

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
i'm asking them to check and replace the o-ring seals on the charge air hoses before taking the step of turbo replacement.

P0299 code and B5 was going into limp mode often under acceleration when i brought it in.

i'm getting married in two days so i just didn't have time to trouble shoot this myself.

stay tuned ...

Island5.5

TDI
2005 Passat
:( Crappy time for that to happen. Historically it's more likely stuck vanes or leaky actuator (as I've recently learned) but of course the dealer is instructed to take the whole thing out.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
2X on the rotten timing, but most likely all that you need is is a new actuator. Check the "TDI Trusted Mechanics" list to see if there is anyone in your area who can help.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the dealer said there's oil in the intake and EGR - could that be caused by failed seals or a leaky actuator?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
the dealer said there's oil in the intake and EGR - could that be caused by failed seals or a leaky actuator?
How much oil? There's probably some oil in everybody's intake and EGR, also in the intercooler and charge air pipes.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
according to the dealer it's more than normal "the egr was dripping w oil".

the odd thing is that the car wasn't noticeably smoking at all, at least not as far as i could tell from the driver's seat, and when the car wasn't in limp mode it would pull hard / seemingly normal boost & acceleration.

the engine wasn't using much oil at all, and the oil analyses look great. Last UOA after 14k miles on M1 5w40 CJ4: Fe = 21, Cu = 3, Pb = 2 ... the only unusual reading was Al = 27, but since that's still a less than 2ppm / 1000mile wear rate i didn't think much of it.

if the turbo was failing wouldn't Fe and possibly Cu & Pb be elevated?

How much oil? There's probably some oil in everybody's intake and EGR, also in the intercooler and charge air pipes.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Congratulations!:)

we planned to drive our Passat Wagon to Holden Beach (6+ hours each way) for a family vacation as soon as we returned from our honeymoon ... i'm just hoping to be able to get this resolved so that can happen.

my fiancé has a Hyundai Elantra sedan, which we could take, but it's so much less comfortable, far less cargo space, less enjoyable to drive and less efficient ... but it'd get us there ;)

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
according to the dealer it's more than normal "the egr was dripping w oil".

the odd thing is that ........

said it yourself. Odd. Dealers have a tendency for a kneejerk response to the littlest speck or hint of trouble. Notice I say "hint".
One time the VW had some issues with the bushings in the control arm on one side being worn out. Funny thing is, I didn't tell them I changed out the other side about a year ago for the same worn out bushings thru a different mechanic. They said to replace the control arms of BOTH sides because both sides looked worn. They also said the brake pads were all worn out and needed to be changed and discs needed to be resurfaced, maybe even get new discs.
Told them thanks "I'll call you back for an appt." Brought my car to my trusted mechanic when he came back from sick leave, and he said the bad side was going bad, the other good side looked like it was new. Looked at the brake pads, only the rears needed replacing, the fronts were thick. Discs also looked fine.
Just saying.

Ferniediesel

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon, Silverstone 2001 Golf TDI, Blue
I had a similar problem a few months ago. Had oil leaking into one of the cylinders through valve seal. This caused the turbo fault. They originally thought it was a turbo problem, but then found the valve seal leak. Ended up replacing the valve seals.... When the engine was apart, checked the cam shaft and everything looked good. This car has been a great highway vehicle, but given the cost associated with the Balance Shaft issue and the valve seals, I'd have to question whether I'd get another VW. The whole reason for buying the TDI was for fuel economy and because I thought the diesel engine would be more reliable....at least I was correct with one of these.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Serve the jail time in the Elantra and that will give you time to sort out your car. Much cheaper and less painful than playing "grab your ankles and pray" at the dealer.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Go Asian!

my fiancé has a Hyundai Elantra sedan, which we could take, but it's so much less comfortable, far less cargo space, less enjoyable to drive and less efficient ... but it'd get us there
Now you're talkin :) Congrats, Rob!

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
we planned to drive our Passat Wagon to Holden Beach (6+ hours each way) for a family vacation as soon as we returned from our honeymoon ...
I see... you'll be needing a vacation right after your honeymoon...

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

Yuri

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks for all the congrats!

yeah i'm just going to have the dealer replace the seals - hopefully they won't botch that up.

if that doesn't resolve all issues i'll spend some time working on it when i get back.

i had been keeping a various old MBs around so i could drive them whenever i was doing work / projects on my B5 ... but i keep selling my MBs to friends in need of reliable transportation :rolleyes: hahaha

i'll let ya'll know what happens with this issue in an couple weeks :)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
It's been ages since I've read your posts. Congratulations on the wedding. I'm getting hitched next month. Best of luck with the Passat, Rob.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm almost embarrassed to say that the problem was simply a split in the vacuum line that goes to the turbo waste gate. I'd pulled & looked at the line but the split was hidden by the braided line covering ... until it got really big.

First Team VW Roanoke VA's diagnosis was "turbo needs to be replaced" at a cost of $2100. I asked them if they were certain / confident in their diagnosis. They said "absolutely."

I limped it to Holden Beach, then brought it to Bob King VW in Wilmington NC. I dropped. the car off, then bicycled to go grab a coffee, when I got back they were pulling my car around. It took them 15 minutes to take my B5 in, diagnose the problem, replace the line sand pull the car back around.

Of course my Passat drives perfectly now.

I told the tech at Bob King VW about the First Team VW proposed resolution to the same issue. He just looked at me and shook his head in disappointment.

For the most part TDI Club members know to be cautious when bringing there beloved TDI to dealers ...in this story I experienced both the best & worst of what can happen.