Dealer says it's fine to drive while waiting for DPF

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
Is that true? My DPF light has been on for a few months on my daughter's car. I brought the car to the dealer to verify there wasn't something else going on with the car. Dealer said that the DPFs are on nationwide backorder and that I could keep driving the car without damaging anything until the DPF comes in.

I've seen a few posts where the dealer offered a loaner car while they wait. Is that what all dealers are supposed to do and my local mine just trying to be cheap?

00SamIAm00

TDI
2014 Sportwagen w/sunroof and sound
I had to drive mine the whole time. Got a couple breaks when it needed a new EGR, got a loaner, than later threw a code for intake manifold, got a loaner, and then drove for about a month until I got the call that the dpf was there. I recommend calling VW America and opening a case. That seemed to put everything in motion for me, especially as I was almost out of the emissions extended warranty.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
VW of America is required to provide a loaner for repairs lasting more than 3 hours. This repair qualifies. It will cause further damage to the intake, turbo etc. when the EGR filter becomes clogged with soot. With a light on, the vehicle will not attempt a regen. Your dealer is not paying for it, VW pays them for the loaner. I'd push them because who knows what further damage it could cause down the road that the dealer might not catch.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
If the repair takes over 3 hrs Subaru gives loaners, I beleive VW is the same. The dealer may conveniently forget to let you know this. If the DPS is cracked or plugged I wouldnt drive it. Call VW assistance line for help. Its not your fault VW doent stock this necessary part.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Its not your fault VW doent stock this necessary part.
It's not that they don't stock it... it's that they've been having to replace them like crazy for the last 6+ months.

When mine was replaced in early October, I had waited 2 weeks for mine to come in. My dealer received 5 DPF's when mine came in - all 5 DPF's were already spoken for.

I think they're up to a month or so on wait time now.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
the dpf for these cars are backordered nationwide. They only have so many loaners. anything that may fail as a result of the failed dpf is covered. That includes if the motor goes bad. anything connected to the motor (besides driveline) is covered. complete fuel system. all emissions equipment. intake system. This same question has been asked more than once.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I waited something like 5 months and 3k miles for mine. I was out of my emissions warranty when the work was performed, but since the issue cropped up while it was under the warranty, I was covered. My Check Engine Light came on 3 times. Once that caused concern and where I made an appointment to have checked out. The soonest they could get my in was 30 days later. It came on again in that 30 days, and again after they ordered the parts for my car. The car never ran any different during that time, so I would say, just keep driving!

The service adviser offered me a loaner because the parts had taken so long to come in, even tho I had plans for my wife to pick me up. I was grateful for the loaner as that simplified thing being that we live 40 miles away from dealer.