Dealer installed timing belt - how long does it last?

eberg

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Manual - 2000 Golf TDI, Manual
I recently purchased a 2005 Jetta TDI. The current mileage is 189K km, and the VW dealer that serviced the car up until a couple of years ago told me that they had replaced the timing belt at 116K km.

I asked when it is due again and the service advisor told me they need to be done every 100 K km.

I thought I had seen timing belts advertised to last 100 K MILES, which is the same as 160K km! Does the dealership install a lesser quality belt, or are they just trying to make more money by recommending a shorter interval :confused:

He also told me oil changes are required every 8K km.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Read the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. oil changes are 16K KM's (10K miles) and T/B's were originally 160K KM's (100K miles) and later IIRC reduced to 144K KM's (90K miles) by VW.

It is amazing that many dealers don't know how to read VW's published maintenance schedule.

Find out what parts were changed when the T/B was changed. If they didn't change the water pump, tensioner, roller and TTY bolts when the T/B was changed, a catastrophic timing failure could be in your future.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Actually, I think the PD TB interval was lowered to 90K, maybe for a while, then 80K. A dealer mechanic once told me that VW sent them a bulletin that changed it to 90K. That was several years ago. But, it seems that 80K is now the 'official' recommended interval.

To the OP, I would consider replacing the TB immediately, because if this dealer did it, the fact that they don't even know the oil change interval doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Many dealers replace just the belt, not water pump, not TTY bolts, etc.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
oil changes are required every 8K km.
They are !!! They're required by the owners of the dealerships...

(That is... unless they use the wrong oil for the engine... then... the interval changes to ASAP...)

Yuri.

PS: and 80,000 miles is about 128,000 km...

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
my 0.02-
#5 x2

To the OP, I would consider replacing the TB immediately, because if this dealer did it, the fact that they don't even know the oil change interval doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Many dealers replace just the belt, not water pump, not TTY bolts, etc.
If anything in the timing belt path happens to come apart while the engine is running, you then have the plea$ure of rebuilding the cylinder head, too.

But / and... iirc, the engine in your 2005 is Pumpe-Duse (PD, or unit injector) type. That engine design was especially sensitive to needing the correct spec. of oil for lubricity reasons, and if correct oil wasn't used, the valvetrain can be prone to accelerated wear.

Bottom line- probably an excellent idea to have the TB changed immediately. Probably also very prudent to have the valvetrain condition inspected while the timing belt change is being done. (such inspection will involve marginal extra cost at that time). Probably good to make at least some mental preparation for replacing the camshaft and followers at that time, if they are found to be worn. Seek someone specifically familiar with TDI service- see list of trusted mechanics on the 101 forum here- maybe there's someone nearby? Don't assume VW dealer service automatically translates to knowledgeable work.

The "up" side is... with fresh timing belt & components of known good quality, installed by someone knowledgeable, and valvetrain inspected or replaced as necessary, and using the proper oil (I think it's VW spec 505.01, but don't quote me on that)... you'll have an engine that is in known good working order and considered to be just barely broken in.