Dealer changed the oil... Did I get owned?

The did dealer pwn me?

• Absolutely.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Pie.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Invoice says they billed me for 505.01 oil.

They've always put '505.01' on the window sticker, but just put '5w30' on this one....

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
The newest VW 505.01 oil is 5W-30... Castrol SLX... Look at your receipt... is the part number ZVW-352-167-Q-DSP ????

Yuri.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
A crap shoot at this point. V you should know better....lol :( Sorry I should not give you a hard time as this sucks, one of those no mans land situations...

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Now i'm confused. I just read something off vortex that said ALL 505.01 stuff is 40 weight...

Does that mean VW doesnt make a 30w 505.01?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
velociT said:
I just read something off vortex that said ALL 505.01 stuff is 40 weight...
Wrong...

As I indicated above, the relatively new Castrol SLX is 5W-30 and is rated 505.01...

Yuri.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
total (previously elf) quartz ineo mc3 is also 5w30, 505.01

shame on you for having a dealer change your oil ;) you do realize it costs only about $45 and 30 minutes to do an oil change yourself? :p

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
If your choice is to have the dealer perform oil changes, always, ALWAYS insist that they return the unused portion of the last quart/liter to you for top-off later. You paid for it and you will know for certain what they used. I fully understand using the dealer for oil changes. I use them in the winter since I hate working in the cold. Otherwise I do it myself.

Last edited:

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Jetta Knight said:
If your choice is to have the dealer perform oil changes, always, ALWAYS insist that they return the unused portion of the last quart/liter to you for top-off later. You paid for it and you will know for certain what they used. I fully understand using the dealer for oil changes. I use them in the winter since I hate working in the cold. Otherwise I do it myself.
This is a pretty good idea, if you are going to use the dealer. No bulk oil for you! Ill change my own, it does not get to cold down here no matter what time of year it is...;)

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
SBAtdijetta said:
it does not get to cold down here no matter what time of year it is...;)
Don't rub it in! I really despise the winters here but can't leave due to jobs, family, etc. But, someday, I'll be living in the Caribbean and then I'll be posting here ...

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
Jetta Knight said:
Don't rub it in! I really despise the winters here but can't leave due to jobs, family, etc. But, someday, I'll be living in the Caribbean and then I'll be posting here ...
They arent that bad! The roads are terrible, but the weather is just ok...

As for the OP - agreed on getting the remainder of the oil - you paid for it, and who knows when you will need to top off... (and if you drive enough, maybe you can get a 'free' oil change by storing all of your old oil :D)

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
SBAtdijetta said:
This is a pretty good idea, if you are going to use the dealer. No bulk oil for you! Ill change my own, it does not get to cold down here no matter what time of year it is...;)
Nope. We use the silver PS bottle all year long. :D

My previous employment was with GM customer relations, and one of the things I learned was alot of time manufacturers will cover things past the warranty period, but only if the cust got their maint. done at the dealer.

They want to see "dealer loyalty". Otherwise you get hung out to dry, sometimes even while still in warranty.

ETA: The service advisor liked the 3".

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Let's see..... 10 oil changes, each with 1/2 quart left over = 5 quarts. That equates to one oil change the dealer (or the mechanic) charges you for but has already been paid for. Think I am kidding? Ask my neighbor who is a mechanic at a Mitsubishi dealer here in town.

Now let me explain spark plug changes..:D

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
V, you picked the dealer over me to get your oil changed...I'm hurt!

They do use the Castrol 5W-30 505.01..if you went to Maud...

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Mach1 said:
V, you picked the dealer over me to get your oil changed...I'm hurt!

They do use the Castrol 5W-30 505.01..if you went to Maud...
I totally forgot about your shop... I'm coming there next time.

Do you have 505.01/507 on hand or do I need to bring some?

Mach1

TDI
V, I have about 5 different types oil, Elf CRV, Elf 507, Castrol SLX, S9000, VW 507.01, Motul 505.01.

V, I stock about 15 OF's, have both of the FF's, have the cab filters, AF's, and a complete DSG filter/oil change kit.

I have the Fumoto oil drain alves, rear brake pads, and about 20 containers of the VW brake fluid. I also have the G12 coolant- a few gallons of it.

I have enough 2.5" SS 304 to fab out a couple of Jetta exhaust systems.

Yes, give me a call next time. If you want we can sit down and drink a beer, if you are in the neighborhood.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Mach1 said:
V, I have about 5 different types oil, Elf CRV, Elf 507, Castrol SLX, S9000, VW 507.01, Motul 505.01.

V, I stock about 15 OF's, have both of the FF's, have the cab filters, AF's, and a complete DSG filter/oil change kit.

I have the Fumoto oil drain valves, rear brake pads, and about 20 containers of the VW brake fluid. I also have the G12 coolant- a few gallons of it.

I have enough 2.5" SS 304 to fab out a couple of Jetta exhaust systems.

Yes, give me a call next time. If you want we can sit down and drink a beer, if you are in the neighborhood.
Please register as a vendor. This post is technically shilling.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=222682

Thank you.

:)

Mach1

TDI
BK, thanks, inquireing into business status now.