Dealer battery vs other options (AGM, traditional lead-acid float)

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Ok I realize that this topic comes up from time to time but instead of resurrecting an old thread I figure out I start a new one.

I do not need a battery right away but I figure out I will need one by the Fall since the current one will be three years old and might not do so well if we make a trip to the mountains and so forth. So out of curiosity I called a couple of dealers and I gave my VIN number and this is the battery they have (cost $154), three year free replacement):

I realize the reserve capacity is important (72 AH) but so is the cold cranking amps (CCA). For this specific VW battery I was told it is rated at 380 CCA. Really? I am not impressed.

Ok, so having said this I wanted to discuss the pros/cons of installing a size H7/94R AGM battery such as this one (found via https://www.battfinder.com/):

Ok, so regarding this AGM battery I have some specific questions/observations:

1) Could there be any potential damage to the alternator or other electronics of the Passat by using this AGM battery?

2) Would the charging pattern of the car's alternator damage/reduce life/performance (in someways) of the AGM battery? Is there any VCDS settings can be changed for an AGM battery?

In looking at this link from Deka Battery, on page 11 there is this table:

I have been monitoring the voltage of the new re-manufactured Bosch alternator installed on the car and the voltage range I have observed is 13.45 to 14.1 volts so it is unlikely it will overcharge the AGM battery but it might under-charge it in colder temperatures.

Other thoughts, inputs welcome.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
My TDI is a 2005 and I am currently on my second battery (factory was the first). The replacement is a Walmart flooded lead-acid Group 94R and still going strong. It didn't cost anywhere near as much as an AGM and where I live, we get real winter every year. Normally, I plug in the block heater and battery warmer if the overnight temperature will be -10 C or lower, but have started it around -20 C without being plugged in. You may be underestimating battery life a bit. One thing I have found is that sitting idle for a couple of weeks depletes a battery a lot, new or old. Plus deep discharge is not good for battery life.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
We just replaced the original battery in (her) Mk7 GSW. I went to the dealer because VW had sent a 20% off coupon. Prior to going I called to see what batteries they were stocking for the upsized 72ah H6 replacement of the 61ah Enertec H5? that was OE. Based on VIN the parts guy read the replacement as 61ah, but I assured him the larger sized H6 would fit. After checking, he said they were stocking the Varta, made in Germany, which in our other VWs has been among the longer lasting batteries. The Enertec, stamped as Mexico, lasted 6 years which is pretty darn good, but it was undersized.

Unless you are running equipment that requires it, I think the cost of the AGM is unnecessary.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon

I realize the reserve capacity is important (72 AH) but so is the cold cranking amps (CCA). For this specific VW battery I was told it is rated at 380 CCA. Really? I am not impressed.

Ok, so having said this I wanted to discuss the pros/cons of installing a size H7/94R AGM battery such as this one (found via https://www.battfinder.com/):
The 72Ah battery is the size that would come from the factory. 72Ah would be an H6 equivalent size.
There is an 80Ah VW upgrade replacement option that you can get from the dealership. OH made a thread about it a decade ago.

The 80Ah would be H7 or Group 48 and 94R size in the common part stores. But if you still have the 72ah/H6 size, you'll need to get a different hold down bracket to fit the 80Ah/H7/Group48/94R size.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
With a hacksaw and a bit of welding, you can rearrange the original hold-down to suit the larger battery. It only took me an hour or so. Faster than chasing down a new part.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

Other than cost (and possibly explosions if they short out) , Lithium batteries are really good.

I would like a lithium battery for the huge weight savings and potentially better handling BUT the cost was also big ( I thing around $800 for the one I was looking at).

Maybe a group buy would get a discount ?

I'd be in if a large group purchase could bring prices down a bunch if anybody is interested ....

Andrew

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
My TDI is a 2005 and I am currently on my second battery (factory was the first). The replacement is a Walmart flooded lead-acid Group 94R and still going strong. It didn't cost anywhere near as much as an AGM and where I live, we get real winter every year. Normally, I plug in the block heater and battery warmer if the overnight temperature will be -10 C or lower, but have started it around -20 C without being plugged in. You may be underestimating battery life a bit. One thing I have found is that sitting idle for a couple of weeks depletes a battery a lot, new or old. Plus deep discharge is not good for battery life.
Scubanero, I think this is the one you probably have:

Thanks for all who contributed to this thread. I agree that the extra cold cranking amps (800 to 850) are not worth the extra money to pay for the AGM battery knowing that they are also more sensitive to heat vs a typical flooded lead-acid battery (see https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm). The Walmart MAXX-H7 seems the best bang for the money with a free three year replacement in my view.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
You being in Texas (usually warm right 😅), you don't need all the CCA, that a Canadian would need for instance.
I 'd buy a regular battery, and a NOCO jump start gizmo for when the extra CCA is needed or the battery is flat.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
You being in Texas (usually warm right 😅), you don't need all the CCA, that a Canadian would need for instance.
I 'd buy a regular battery, and a NOCO jump start gizmo for when the extra CCA is needed or the battery is flat.
Well we do travel to cold places from time to time. This past December we went to Gunnison, Colorado were the tempreratures dropped to single digits F at night. Knowing that in the past I have had trouble starting my Passat at those temperatures this time I went better prepared. Overnight I had the battery connected to one of these:

I also warmed the car with a space heater through the radiator vent (few hours before starting the car in the morning) and I added a winter diesel additive. The car started much easier!

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Scubanero, I think this is the one you probably have:
Looks right. It has been more than 5 years now and the price seems to have gone up a fair bit. I know it was pretty tight getting a battery warmer in with it. Like QuickTD said, there aren't many manufacturers. Lots of store brands, but identical except for the labels. I am willing to bet that factories don't change manufacturing routines for different customers.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I realize this is an older thread, but I’m seeking a new battery for a 3015 MK7 Golf TDI. The one now is definitely smaller than what’s in my 2003 Jetta TDI. Living in New England, a good CCA number is vital. No AGM.

What do you suggest?

(My apologies for posting in the wrong segment.)

chickenfriend

TDI
2004 Passat BHW
I'm all for AGM's. They can be defective however, so don't be hesitant to return them if they don't hold a charge.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I'm all for AGM's. They can be defective however, so don't be hesitant to return them if they don't hold a charge.
100% with this. I have had a total of 2 AGMs with right off the floor with a date of only a few weeks old have a charge of less than 10 volts. One had 7. Always bring a volt meter with you when buying.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
HI,

Other than cost (and possibly explosions if they short out) , Lithium batteries are really good.

I would like a lithium battery for the huge weight savings and potentially better handling BUT the cost was also big ( I thing around $800 for the one I was looking at).

Maybe a group buy would get a discount ?

I'd be in if a large group purchase could bring prices down a bunch if anybody is interested ....

Andrew
Unless you live in a cold climate. Lithium batteries have a low temp disconnect.