dead fuel gauge after sub 0* F cold snap??

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
About a week or so ago in my friends low miles 00 Golf TDI automatic the fuel gauge went dead. Every other gauge is working perfectly. The automatic trans is shifting without issue. We hit the -18* to 0* F range for about a week. The engine ran rough and the speedo went dead for a few minutes. Then the engine smoothed out and all the gauges but the gas gauge worked perfectly.

I have checked the speed pick up, it seems to be fine. I Pulled the speed pick up and ran it without the wire being connected. It immediately threw a speed pickup code. Reconnected the speed pick up and was able to reset the speed pickup code.

I pulled the fuel pickup out of the tank it looked fine. I hooked up a spare pickup I have and still no gauge. THe gauge is currently sitting all the way down, doesn't appear to be getting any signal..

I checked the ground connection under the battery, checked fuses inside & out....

There are no codes thrown and I am running out of ideas...

I am wondering if there is a relay that could possibly be causing the problem??? Could there be a broken connection in the cluster??

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Sounds like a wiring/ground issue or as you mention, a crack in a printed circut cluster board.
Haven't had any issue(s) with sub-zero temps other than one time after one of the Jettas sat out at work in -35F (was able to plug it in) the LCD cluster gauge displays were dimmed a bunch until it got running and warmed up in the cabin somewhere near "normal". The CheckTemp II display has never fully recovered.