Dead Bug no fuel solenoid power after tb change

BigVWman

Veteran Member
Apex, NC soon to be back in the mitten of doom!
TDI
A1 cabriolet tdi and 01 nb tdi and countless gassers!
Hell everyone, I have arrived at a point where i'm kinda stumped and open to suggestion. Some background: i bought a newbeetle tdi on here it, had a TB failure. The PO did me the "favor" of taking it apart to see the damage before i bought it. So i have never heard it run or verified its prior condition or cause of Tb failure(other than crappy belt). I bought a super low mileage great condition used head and of course belt n rollers kit(ina and dayco isoran). I am at the point where i start it and check timing with vcds and adjust. I could not get the injectors to flow fuel with the lines cracked so i started investigating, though i know it can take awhile, and found no power to stop solenoid with key on. I then start to panic thinking i have fried the ecu somehow. I look around in the car and find a stray 109 relay laying in the cup holder and a new one(very pristine) in the 109 spot. When i turn the ignition on initially i get glow plug light for maybe 1/2 second then it goes out. I can read ecu with vag com and get no errors. Initially when i first plugged in i had needle sensor intermittant open and intermittant glow plug fault, probably when i bumped starter to line up belt position in rollers per tech.Cleared them and they didn't come back. I have checked all the fuses with the ecu symbol on the diagram.
Sorry for being long winded but i have no bentley yet for this one and other than swapping ecu i'm stumped and i hope that isn't it! I'm not a newb i have been doing vw's and vw diesels(as a hobby) now 25yrs and have tackled some pretty rough ones. Usually with ease, but i need help!

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
no start

There will be no power to fuel shut off with key on ,only when cranking.Listen for clicking noise at pump when turning on key if not you have further issues.

BigVWman

Veteran Member
TDI
Really?I'm starting to feel better maybe its just tons of air! On my previous diesels the solenoid always had power with the key in the on position. Wouldn't it stall out once you stopped cranking or does it somehow sense rpm and keep it from shutting off? Sounds like i need a helper to listen or crank.

Strange, as a side note i checked my bk ecu tdi has power to the solenoid when just in on position, my old 1.6 has power in on position but my FA jetta doesn't either its just like the beetle! I had to check to make sure i hadn't lost too many brain cells and was remembering wrong!!

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Are you sure that the pump is full of fuel and has no air in it?? If the car has been sitting for a while you may need to prime it - and some of these pumps can be stubborn and take a bit of time to purge all the air...

Good luck,

Yuri

BigVWman

Veteran Member
TDI
You guys are great! I would have been on an ecu witchhunt! IT is only powered when cranking and very briefly after you stop milliseconds briefly. I am now the proud owner of a horse syringe and mighty vac and also have a running beetle! Pump needed prime and then i mighty vac'd returnn also! Worked like a champ! Thanks again!