Dead automatic?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I just picked up a nice 2004 tdi passat with a slipping transmission. My question is if the automatic hasn't puked out the front seal is there a possibility it can be saved with a torque converter,valve body,shift solenoids,etc? The guy I bought it from didn't drive it any after the problem so that's a good sign. What code should I look for in VAG that might point me in the right direction?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the converter is bad, the only thing you will notice is the DTC set, and if you are really paying attention, the feel of it NOT locking up.

If the transmission is slipping*, it's dead. There will usually be gear ratio DTCs stored too. But generally once the TCM detects slippage in any gear, it goes into limp mode (which is fixed 4th gear, no lockup, unregulated (full) line pressure).

So start with OBD and see what you are working with first.

*assuming it is indeed full of fluid.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
OK GOT THESE TRANNY CODES FROM VAG:
17125 TORQUE COVERTER CLUTCH PO741-003 STUCK OFF/NO POWER BEING TRANSFERRED MIL ON
17118 GEAR 4 PO734 INCORRECT RATIO MIL ON
17195 EXCESSIVE CLUTCH SLIPPAGE PO811-03 MIL ON
17114 GEAR RATTIO MONITORING PO730 INCORRECT GEAR RATIO MIL ON

Sure looks like a bad torque converter. I just have to figure if that's all. Big job-hate to pull the tranny more than once. Reverse is fine. Forward gears are pretty much dead. Any other tests/checks I should do see if more issues exist?

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Pull pan and look for broken parts scattered in bottom of pan

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did find a donor car with a bad engine and good tranny. I will extract tranny codes with VAG before install. Anything I should do preventive maintenance wise before install?

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where should a new tc be sourced? VW? Are there any interactive measuring blocks I can look at in VAG like line pressure? Maybe put a rear main seal in while it's out and tranny front seal? The donor car with the perfectly working tranny has 370k miles on the clock so most likely tranny was replaced at some point. I should do a Carfax and see what shows up. The car was an Ohio government car but unfortunatley I have no records.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Vw for transmission.

Rear main along with any other rear leaks addressed, new coolant t at the back of the head.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I got a TC from Florida TCs. Reasonably priced, 30000 miles with no problems so far.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Change the transmission fluid in the replacement transmission. Replace the rear main seal on the engine and the tendon pump gasket with a new coolant manifold.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've confirmed the tranny I plan to use works perfectly. The donor car has 370k miles on it. I don't have access to records. Surely it's not the original tranny given the GMR failures out there unless it has mostly mega highway miles. The guy I bought it from thought that was the case although he can't confirm it.
is there a diesel specific torque converter required for the GMR?

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The GMR uses a specific converter, yes.

I have had a few ZF transmissions through here (with regular service) that were still working perfectly with 300k+ miles on them.

I think "lifetime fluid" is bunk, and so does ZF, who thinks they should be serviced every 100k km. So I flush all mine every 60k miles.

Keep in mind, the nature of the beast is that all [conventional] automatics will fail eventually. So really, any that get 1/4 million miles or so have given a decent service life. Not like manuals that can just keep going and going and going indefinitely.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'My research indicates the GMR torque converter has a 9 1/2" bolt circle whereas the gasser ZF's like in a 1.8t have 9 1/4". Should be useful info for folks trying to id them.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
'My research indicates the GMR torque converter has a 9 1/2" bolt circle whereas the gasser ZF's like in a 1.8t have 9 1/4". Should be useful info for folks trying to id them.

VW uses imperial measurements for the converter bolt circle diameter?

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I did find a donor car with a bad engine and good tranny. I will extract tranny codes with VAG before install. Anything I should do preventive maintenance wise before install?
Replace the heater/coolant hoses back there. Mine were just covered with oil and was deteriorating them. The skinny hose from the flange was scary bloated ready to pop.

Part numbers for you to ponder..
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=491043

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
As delivery valve said, Eriksson is the only tc place to get a good remanufactured one. I installed one 7 years ago and still going.