Daylight driving lights 97 Passat

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Green And it's Possessed 2001 Audi A4 AFN SWAP
Is there a way to disconnect the front and back lights from coming on all the time in daylight. I use my vehicle to sit and watch things ( job ) and even at night I need some heat. Headlights on all the time draws a lot of unnecessary attention. I disconnected all them on my other cars. sort of stumped on this one. Thanks, Col.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The headlights, yes, by unplugging the yellow wire on the firewall. The marker lights, no.

On the '97 when the car is running the front marker lights will be on even with the switch off. On the '96 the front and rear marker lights will be on, in addition to the dash lights.

What you need is the headlight switch from a 1995, which has none of the lights on unless you turn them on. I know, what a concept, right?

skatanic

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
The headlights, yes, by unplugging the yellow wire on the firewall. The marker lights, no.

On the '97 when the car is running the front marker lights will be on even with the switch off. On the '96 the front and rear marker lights will be on, in addition to the dash lights.

What you need is the headlight switch from a 1995, which has none of the lights on unless you turn them on. I know, what a concept, right?

Hmm, my 95 has lights on no matter where the switch is set.

I'm guessing this is because it is a Canadian model.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Which lights? All models had the daytime running headlights which can be turned off by unplugging the wire connector. The marker and dash lights were dependent on model year, but it's possible your '95 could be an early '96. VW was funny that way with the muddling of years.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
DRLs were required in Canada IIRC for the 1991 model year so a 95 Canadian Passat has them while a 95 USA one does not.

-J

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
DRLs were required in Canada IIRC for the 1991 model year so a 95 Canadian Passat has them while a 95 USA one does not.

-J
The whole concept of DRL's bothers me when it's forced on people.

On the Mk3 there's a yellow resistance wire that runs down along the driver seat under the plastic cover that is supposed to reduce the headlights to DRL level. The last time I was in there I noticed the yellow wire was melted and wiring exposed, that's the last time I had functioning DRL's, the wiring came out and disconnected behind the dash.

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Green And it's Possessed 2001 Audi A4 AFN SWAP
Well now, as our friends north of the border would say " how aboot that ". I unplugged the yellow wire and all the daytime lights are off, headlights, marker and parking lights. Hooray ! They now work as normal lights should. No need to replace switch. Thanks to all, Col.