Dashboard Symbol meaning-2001 Golf TDi.

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
Anybody care to share some light or explain whats the meaning of the symbol below ?
I don't have the owners manual for my car and this symbol has come and gone off twice today.I hope its nothing major.
I did a google search and was able to find the symbol but not the meaning.The symbol is the one the arrow is pointing.

Thank you.

Last edited:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
That's can't be out of a '01 unless it's had a cluster retrofit. Or the OP just used that pic as an example of the light.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
From reading the original post, I believe that is a (random) Google-searched image that shows the same symbol and is NOT the actual display from his own vehicle. None of the VW displays look exactly like that.

BUT ...

This doesn't add up, either, because if the original poster's profile is correct and the title of the thread is correct, there's still an inconsistency, because the Mk4 cars (2001 model year ...) didn't have bulb monitoring.

Last edited:

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
^^^^^The pic posted is NOT and I repeat NOT from my own 01 Golf TDi but if memory serves me right its from VW Phaeton.
And yes,I do have bulb monitoring,I was surprised and it felt quite good to know I had that option.
Unless the original owner did a retrofit and I wasn't told when I bought the car.I'm going to take a pic of the dash before and after that light comes on again...I still haven't changed the bulb yet...lol.
All of a sudden I love this car more....sweet.
And yes,my car is 2001 Golf TDi 2DR.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Is it a US spec car? If so it doesn't have bulb monitoring. I wonder if it's the one for worn brakes?

Do you see it in this picture?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I don't ever remember seeing that simbol on an '99.5 or a '00 Jetta but my '06 MKV has it. On the gas '00 jetta the glowplug light was the bulb indicator.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Here is a cluster card of an IMMO III cluster (2002-2006)

As you can see, it does have a spot for the light, so it has the capability. However, there is no LED behind it in the circuit board of the cluster. So it shouldn't illuminate. Also, this card is from a 2002+ car. The 2000-2001 cars only have 6 symbols in the centre, not 8, so they do not have that light on either the centre, speedo or tach portions of the face cards. So if you have this light, my guess is the cluster was changed at some point, or your car is not a 2001, but a 2002? What is the build date? If it was built in 2001, it could be a 2002 model.

Is your light in the same location as this picture?

Last edited:

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
Here you go guys....Check below.If anyone still have doubts,you are always welcome to come and check out the car...lol
I'm going to see if I can get hold of the dude I bought the car from to see if the cluster was changed or retrofited.
Thanks all.

LOL....

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Those pictures tell the story. The previous owner changed the faces on that cluster. See the extra lights in the centre of the display. They look like partial symbols. The 2000-2001 cars only had 6 symbols in the middle. 3 on top & 3 on the bottom. Your faces have 8 symbols and the extra ones are partially illuminated by the larger openings behind them. It looks like you have an 8 symbol face over a 6 symbol cluster circuit board.

Here is an IMMO II cluster with 6 large light pockets like you have in your car:

The bottom right light on a 2000-2001 car is the low washer fluid light. I bet you are low on washer fluid.

This is the face you have:

This is the face you are supposed to have:

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
awesome post wingnut, as usual.

also from his original post, with it turning on & off randomly, I also bet you are right. the washer fluid warning will do that (turn on & off randomly) when the level is just on the edge of being too low..

does this warning light also come with a very loud BEEP when it first turns on?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I wonder if the car was originaly a US car with miles on the speedo and the previous owner tried to swap the cards for a metric set?

If you would like to restore your cluster to its original face, I might have one lying around somewhere.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
That door stickers looks different to me but I'm only going from memory. Will check mine in the morning.