Dangers of Tracking a Stock TDI?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I'd like to take my TDI to the track. Long story short, my actual track car needs a new engine so I am considering taking the Mk3 out for a spin.

I can't seem to find anyone who has tracked these TDIs in more or less stock form and what the issues are with heat, etc. It will get a good flogging on a hot track in California July (90+ deg F).

My main concerns are around EGTs and oil temps as it is a more or less stock car. It has upgraded injectors and a chip tune, but is otherwise stock engine-wise. So it doesn't have a big intercooler or oil cooler, just the stock units. For a 20-30 minute track session do I run the risk of melting the turbo? Has anyone seen big EGTs and overly high oil temps. I don't have any gauges and will probably only be doing this once with this car, so I'm not particularly interested in installing gauges for a single event.

Braking-wise, I would definitely swap over to some track-safe brake pads... That's not really a concern. But some recommendations pad-wise would help me out.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can beat on it all day long, it won't matter. And the dude in a 100% stock first gen Miata with rusted rockers, holes in the seats, a Bananarama cassette permanently jammed in the tape deck, and mismatched wheels with a half worn set of Dean Quasars will still be having far more fun.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I tracked my MK3 a few times, and my MKIVs many, many times. The MK3 had only a tune, everything else stock, except for a rear bar and a rear disc brake swap. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't fast. With firmer shocks (I had Koni Reds in it) and better tires it would have been vastly improved.

I ran my more heavily modified Wagon many, many times, and it never missed a beat. It wasn't uncommon for it to not even get hot enough to run the fans in a 20 min session, and that was with PP520s, an 11mm pump, and a 6,000 RPM tune. I do recall after one long session at Mt. Tremblant the coolant temp got up to 240, and the EGT gauge showed 800F even after idling into the pits. That was a hot day, track temps were over 100F. But still, no coolant loss or any other issues.

Here's IBW track side at Calabogie, in Ontario, Canada.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I tracked my MK3 a few times, and my MKIVs many, many times. The MK3 had only a tune, everything else stock, except for a rear bar and a rear disc brake swap. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't fast. With firmer shocks (I had Koni Reds in it) and better tires it would have been vastly improved.

I ran my more heavily modified Wagon many, many times, and it never missed a beat. It wasn't uncommon for it to not even get hot enough to run the fans in a 20 min session, and that was with PP520s, an 11mm pump, and a 6,000 RPM tune. I do recall after one long session at Mt. Tremblant the coolant temp got up to 240, and the EGT gauge showed 800F even after idling into the pits. That was a hot day, track temps were over 100F. But still, no coolant loss or any other issues.
What pads did you run?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's really hard to find track pads for stock brakes. I ran some Porterfield race pads on my Golf for a while, and all I could find for the Wagon (and the MK3, I believe) were EBC Yellowstuff pads. They worked OK, although I'm not that hard on brakes.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Dont waste time with track. Too costly. Go autocross or cross track at most. Track isnt really a stock cars area. Imo high quality soft track tires and some good pads with new rotors if your are old and a rear beam stiffening mod and your cooking for some good lap times.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think the OP knows he wants to drive on a road course. And although it's expensive, it's a lot of fun. The few autocrosses I've done the ratio of seat time to waiting time is terrible.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I’ve been to the track a few times, but I usually drive my Miata at the track. That car is unexpectedly down so I just wanna use the Jetta for this one-off event. It is a HPDE on a road course so stock brake pads are going to be borderline sketchy. But I won’t be swapping anything beyond maybe pads. Basically I just wanted to make sure the car wouldn’t melt its turbo during a normal session.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Stock pads will fade out to nothing pretty quickly, I can tell you that from experience. Otherwise it'll be fun. I bought an NA Miata for track days a few years ago, but I liked driving my modified TDI more.

LittleHercurock

TDI
Mk4 Jetta

Here's IBW track side at Calabogie, in Ontario, Canada.
That's a beautiful wagon IBW

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's a beautiful wagon IBW
Thanks. I still have those wheels and tires. The 16" Motegis weigh 12 lbs, with the Hoosiers they totaled 32 lbs. Made a huge difference. Hoosier treadwear rating was 75, I believe. They lasted about 12 hours on the track. Not cheap, but worth it.