Cylinder #2 and #4 Injection Timing Codes

Twitchytoes

TDI
2014 NMS Passat TDI SE - 2.0L CKRA
Hello all,
My fiancee has previously asked me when driving our 2014 Passat TDI what it meant if the tachometer was extremely sporadic, going up and down. I had never seen it and wasn't really sure, but she was able to catch a video of it doing it this second time. It's been about 10000 miles apart from the last known instance. Both instances were at idle. When I scanned it under VCDS and with an EthosPro scan tool, both came up with Cylinder #2 and #4 injection timing codes. I'm not super familiar with working on diesels at this point, so I'm not sure where I need to chase this. I've attached some logs I pulled with different injection related items that seemed correct to me, as well as engine RPM. We get fuel at the same station as frequently as possible, and this current tank is from that station. It is a well trafficked Caseys. The passat has 122k miles, I haven't had really any troubles out of it other than wheel/tire related issues and the sway bar link starting to go out on me now. Video of tachometer You can kind of hear the engine here, but it's not super easy to hear. She said it sounded like it was going to throw a rod so she shut it off immediately after, it started up fine and behaved like it had never happened. If there's anymore information I can provide to better identify this issue, let me know and I'll do my best. Thanks in advance!
Injection Logs
VCDS Code Scan

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I wonder if it was going through a regen, and the ECU was getting confused with EGR adjustments and fuel timing.

Out of curiosity when was the fuel filter changed?

Twitchytoes

TDI
I wonder if it was going through a regen, and the ECU was getting confused with EGR adjustments and fuel timing.

Out of curiosity when was the fuel filter changed?
Fuel filter was changed about 10k ago at most. Maybe less. I plan on checking it this weekend but I won’t be able to today. She did say it’s been trying to regen and when she stops, it’s interrupted the regen. I did a hard drive today and tried to force a regen but it was only at 5g. Drive ended at 7 after keeping it above 2500rpm and several wide opens to 100.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
id keep any eye on in and just motor on.

Also driving at 2500 doesn't force a regen if the car doesn't say one is needed. If you saw 5g of soot, it was probably very close to finishing a planned active regen when last shut down, and you'll need another 200+ miles before another one pops up.

Twitchytoes

TDI
id keep any eye on in and just motor on.

Also driving at 2500 doesn't force a regen if the car doesn't say one is needed. If you saw 5g of soot, it was probably very close to finishing a planned active regen when last shut down, and you'll need another 200+ miles before another one pops up.
That was kind of my mind set currently. I used vcds to engage a regen while driving but it did not seem to start one. I also assumed it was close to finishing on the last shutdown.

Twitchytoes

TDI
So, to revive this thread... I took the car for this instance to the dealer under TDI warranty. They replace all 4 injectors and I was on my way, car was happy for 6 months or so. About a month ago, the weird shift hesitancy came again. Then it started feeling like neutral drops, all power lost at random points. Only when it's cold.... Had the wild tachometer event once. Took it back to dealer, said hey it's doing all these things again, and I have a cylinder 3 injection timing pending fault. Fast forward end of day on that visit, they cannot find anything wrong besides my oil being exceedingly low. Looks like I have a possible valve cover leak, but I'll tend to that later... I was able to catch cold start knocking on video, as well as sent the VCDS logs to my dealer, seeing as they want to claim there are no fault codes. I am now up to cylinders 1, 2 and 3 injection timing pending faults. I have another dealer visit scheduled and the car is parked until then, as I am 400 miles left on my injector replacement warranty. I do not trust that the injectors are the fault here.... What else could be causing this? The timing belt/water pump/tensioner were done 10/7/22 @ 129k. I'm at 135k miles now.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
CKRA injectors are very fragile. Sometimes you can reset the learned values in the ECU, sometimes some injector cleaner in the tank helps, sometimes they just need to be replaced.

I'd start using fuel from somewhere else, and use some injector cleaner at every service. That may help.

Most manifest it worst during warmup.... nailing, and sometimes a misfire if it gets really bad.

Twitchytoes

TDI
CKRA injectors are very fragile. Sometimes you can reset the learned values in the ECU, sometimes some injector cleaner in the tank helps, sometimes they just need to be replaced.

I'd start using fuel from somewhere else, and use some injector cleaner at every service. That may help.

Most manifest it worst during warmup.... nailing, and sometimes a misfire if it gets really bad.
I get fuel almost exclusively at Casey's, which should be my best option. Small % of biodiesel for lubricity and highly frequented in my town. I was using Hotshots EDT with each fill up for the most part, recently ran out but this issue was present prior to me running out. Where are the learned values in the VCDS? I plan to try and run it on a cold day soon and trigger CEL or a video of the behavior so the dealer can't deny me... I do add fuel additive directly into the fuel filter housing on changes. Should I start doing every 10k filters?

Twitchytoes

TDI
Nope, they are on top where you can see them.
Okay, cool. To clarify and make sure I understand: Gather codes off of the injectors, input these values into VCDS for each channel 71-74, bleed fuel system with pump (Not necessary if not pulling injectors? Good practice to do anyway?) shut ignition off, wait 10 seconds, ignition on, VERIFY THE NUMBERS, start and drive?

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
The codes will already be there when you open VCDS, at least they were for me. You will enter a "bogus" code, have that set and the value should read AAAAAAA (indicating it was incorrect). Then you will re-enter the original code and it should accept and save it. This will mimic entering the code for a new injector after replacement. Repeat this for each injector channel. And you are correct, you do not need to bleed the fuel system if you did not open it.

Twitchytoes

TDI
The codes will already be there when you open VCDS, at least they were for me. You will enter a "bogus" code, have that set and the value should read AAAAAAA (indicating it was incorrect). Then you will re-enter the original code and it should accept and save it. This will mimic entering the code for a new injector after replacement. Repeat this for each injector channel. And you are correct, you do not need to bleed the fuel system if you did not open it.
Gotcha, and having driven ~11k miles since they were replaced won't be a significant issue there? Also, maybe I'm just being a skeptic, but if they did not change the codes when they replaced the injectors previously, would I have immediately had issues or is it possible that's why I had issues pop out later?