CVCA timing belts? (chirp, chirp?)

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Hello all,
Anyone have a CVCA with a 'chirping' timing belt? Have had our '15 TDI at the dealers for 3 weeks now. Mostly because they initially diagnosed the 'chirp' as a bad alternator pulley, and it took nearly 3 weeks for them to get another one.
Surprise, surprise, found out today that didn't solve it, so now they're doing a full timing belt service.

39k miles on it, CPO purchase in May this year, so I'm not out any money and will have a new alternator/timing belt service done on the dealer's dime. Hope their dealer TDI timing belt work quality is better than it used to be...

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Wonder if the water pump has a slow leak wetting the belt? It seems like more than a rare occurrence in 2015 GSW and Passat, CRUA and CVCA engines.

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Thanks Pedro...that would make sense to me. When we got it in June(@32k) the chirp was only on cold start and diminished after running 10-20 minutes. Now at 39k its constant, so a worsening leak on a buyback car put back into service makes sense, right?

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
FINALLY got the car back last Saturday.
From the notes they isolated it to the idler pulley making noise. They replaced timing belt, tensioner, rollers and bolts/nuts but not the water pump or serpentine belt. Silly me, thinking that would be part of a dealer timing belt job. Guess not under CPO warranty conditions? I gladly would have paid for a new water pump if they'd bothered to ask.

They took the time to take the new alternator out, and scrub any mention of that initial diagnosis from the paperwork.

So far this week its been fine, except for tripping the TPMS on the drive home from the dealer.

Guess I'll watch the coolant level and see if it recurs. 17 months left on this unlimited mileage CPO warranty, but might wind up heading out of state to a more capable and customer-oriented dealer service department.

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for details, I haven't delved into this engine more than an oil change yet. Sounds like something I definitely should check at next change(or beforehand). It's only at 39k miles. My wife just had a job change last month with a shorter commute(in town now!) so I'm estimating only 9k/year.