CV boot assistance

gdunn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2k, Green, Auto: Jetta 2003, Black, Manual
I dug into the CV boot replacement procedure this past weekend (passenger side) but hit a problem. The middle bolt (of 3) on the heat shield stripped. I thought perhaps I could still get the axle out, but with the shield in place, but I couldn't move the inner end of the axle far enough forward.

I could get a bolt-out onto the outside of the head of the bolt, but I didn't have enough room to get a socket or a wrench onto the bolt-out to turn it.

Ideas would be appreciated.

rydogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Not an enviable position. I've had some luck in the past with my Dremmel by cutting a slot for a big flat-head screw driver.

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
I would first try something like the Irwin Bolt-Grip Fastener Remover. I have also read reports of people hammering a socket (10mm I think) on to the outside surface of the fastener and being able to remove it that way. Some times the impact from hammering something on to the fastener helps break the tension so it can then be easily removed. ...can't remember how much room you have to work on that fastener, think it is really tight.

Last edited:

gdunn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2k, Green, Auto: Jetta 2003, Black, Manual
The Irwin tool looks promising. It has different drive options than my bolt out tool. My bolt out only allows for wrench/socket drives (which are both too big for the given area). The Irwin appears to drive from a 3/8" ratchet (which doesn't add any additional space--assuming the bolt grip tool isn't any larger in diameter than the bolt out).

Thanks for the pointer.