CV axle assembly front right

keith88250

TDI
Buying a 2000 Jetta GL TDI this weekend!
Hi I was quoted 99.55 for parts and 169 for labor to replace the cv axle assembly (front right) for a 2003 Jetta tdi alh

I think I can do this myself but wondering if it would require any special tools for example a puller. etc. Also, does anyone have a recommended part number to buy to get at least oem quality but hopefully better than oem quality? Car has 260k miles, any recommendations regarding other service items I should proactively address simultaneously? New owner and getting up to speed so please forgive if these are noob question.

finally, does the quote from the mechanic seems reasonable? Thanks

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Price is fair. Not too bad of a job really. Just did both sides on my '03 Jetta. I bought a pair of cheap eBay axles( for both sides). Then after I got them a set of Raxles came up for sale, so I bought them also. Car was clicking like crazy on full lock turns either way, so I didn't know which side was bad. I did driver side first, noise still there. Changed out passenger side, clicking is gone. I used the cheap axles for now, as I have a used tranny to go in(5th gear went bye bye couple years ago) eventually, and that's when I'll use the Raxles. As far as installation goes, not really difficult. All videos I saw on Youtube and each place I read how to do it said you have to remove 3 ball joint bolts from control arm, or loosen the shock pinch bolt. NOT TRUE! I was able to do both sides just by undoing sway bar link and turning it down. Sure, it's a little extra wiggling around, but alignment is still intact. Just have to be careful not to push grease/inner bearing out when working it into position. I also tightened axle nut to 165ft/lbs, rolled car forward 5ft, then back 5ft. Loosened axle nut while on ground, then retorqued to 165ft/lbs(this method was done by another member with good results).

keith88250

TDI
Don't use cheap axles, unless you like doing the job over again. The cheap solid axles are also very hard on the transmission. OEM only or re-joint the OEM axles.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Anyone have a part number for an assembly that is OEM quality at least (hopefully better than OEM quality)...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Is the axle bad? Or just a boot job?
Use oem stuff (junkyard ect. ) any box store or reman no name crap will land you right back here within 3 days to 30 months!
The boot job or OEM outer or inner replacment is fairly easy
Plenty of good videos on youtube.
A vice and 3 rolls of paper towles and 4 or 5 pairs of vynil gloves and 3 cans of brake parts cleaner and a ring crimper tool.

keith88250

TDI
Use oem stuff (junkyard ect. ) any box store or reman no name crap will land you right back here within 3 days to 30 months!
A vice and 3 rolls of paper towles and 4 or 5 pairs of vynil gloves and 3 cans of brake parts cleaner and a ring crimper tool.
To be honest I am not sure the axle is bad or not. It is on 2003 TDI Jetta I am considering buying. I took it for a pre-purchase inspection and it is one of the items to be addressed flagged by the mechanic. A few of the others were cam seal, valve cover gasket, starter motor, and timing belt/water pump...

keith88250

TDI
To be honest I am not sure the axle is bad or not. It is on 2003 TDI Jetta I am considering buying. I took it for a pre-purchase inspection and it is one of the items to be addressed flagged by the mechanic. A few of the others were cam seal, valve cover gasket, starter motor, and timing belt/water pump...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well that guy has no idea what he is looking at then. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that Chaxles are junk, especially in a Volkswagen, DOUBLE PLUS ESPECIALLY in a diesel Volkswagen. The car probably just needs a boot. Why so many techs just throw away a perfectly serviceable OEM axle and put a Chinese piece of scrap in there that will be bad in six months is beyond my comprehension. And if it has already been Chaxled, then you will need to find an OEM unit and install that.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yep.
Look at our trusted TDI mechanics list.
Imo as long as the car is rust free and you get a good price...
Assume it needs everything as far as maintenance including the timing but job.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have done the rebuild of axles and it's not hard. The hardest part is getting the axles out. On the passenger side, if the axle is a big tube, then it's most likely OEM. If a solid bar, chinesium axles.

If your axles are not making noises and just need new boots, then get them from idparts.com. I couldn't find any store in a large city where I live that even had any kits. They just want to sell you new crap axles. If they are making noises then you can get the axle rebuild kits for each part (inner or outer) of the axle. The outer ones will click when turning. The inner ones will vibrate if bad. The outer joints are the same on both sides. The inner boots are side specific.

If you already have crap axles, you cannot use the OEM type kits to rebuild them.