Custom check engine light

TDI
'05 Passat TDI in a '00 Jeep TJ
Hello y'all, I am currently putting a 2005 Volkswagen passat 2.0 TDI into a jeep TJ and I was wondering what I would have to do/which wire to splice into to get to make an aftermarket check engine light work properly.
If anyone could help me out that would be great. I have the wiring diagram for the engine harness and I pulled all the interior wires too. I just don't have the wiring diagrams for the interior dash wires (I don't know if I need them or not)

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
Hello y'all, I am currently putting a 2005 Volkswagen passat 2.0 TDI into a jeep TJ and I was wondering what I would have to do/which wire to splice into to get to make an aftermarket check engine light work properly.
If anyone could help me out that would be great. I have the wiring diagram for the engine harness and I pulled all the interior wires too. I just don't have the wiring diagrams for the interior dash wires (I don't know if I need them or not)
PM'd you.

TDI
I have emailed fast forward and they send that module would not work for my application that I want. Which is weird because that what the description of their product says it'll do that. Idk I also kind of don't want to spend another 200 dollars on something to just get a check engine light to work.
So does anyone know of a wire I can tap into off the passat wiring harness to wire to a bulb?

TDI
Yeah, that is what I thought was weird. I thought that was what their product would do and it does but when I emailed them asked how it works and such. They said I would need a gauge cluster from a yj to make it work, which I also thought was weird. I am just tired to find possibly another way to make a working check engine light without spending 200+ dollars.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I have emailed fast forward and they send that module would not work for my application that I want. Which is weird because that what the description of their product says it'll do that. Idk I also kind of don't want to spend another 200 dollars on something to just get a check engine light to work.
So does anyone know of a wire I can tap into off the passat wiring harness to wire to a bulb?
The CAN2DASH unit that Fast Forward Automotive sells certainly DOES give you a Tachometer and Check Engine / Glow plug light outputs from the BRM ECU, however, unless I misread something, it is your Jeep that doesn't have a conventional input for these signals. 1997 to 1999 use Chrysler CCD bus and 2000 and later uses CAN bus to get the signals to the ECU, unfortunately, it is a different CAN bus than what VW speaks.

amritbareta

TDI
hi brother i am new member

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
Call me daft, but do you still need the Heep CEL if you're TDI swapping it? What would need indicating other than the engine? Unless you are trying to keep the Jeep/Chrysler instrument cluster, then I understand the problem. I PM'd Je-wagon the wire info for the BHW cluster, I think he can take the K83 (MIL) wire from the blue plug on the Passat cluster and splice it into the Jeep's CEL/MIL. Unless I don't know enough about Jeeps, and what Quick TD and Hasenwerk are saying is the Jeep doesn't have a simple wire to work that way. Does the Jeep only light the CEL over can-bus and there is no physical connection in the cluster plugs? If that's the case, just wire a little LED to the BHW wire from the instrument cluster or the brown multiplug in the plenum and call it done.

If I'm not understanding the issue, I'm happy to be corrected.

TDI
I am trying to keep the jeep cluster functional and I have figured out everything but the check engine light. I want to use an after-market check engine and glow plug lights and bolt them to the dash somewhere. The Jeep cluster check engine light is lit up by a can-bus signal. I am not trying to get that light to work. Because I don't want to deal with trying to the two ecus talk to each other. I am trying to get a wire from the Volkswagen ECU to a separate after-market check engine light outside the stock jeep cluster. That pm you sent me was very informational and I believe that is what I was looking for; a wire to trigger the auxiliary check engine light to light up that's not can-bus or whatever signal Volkswagen uses.