Current price of diesel

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
For those of you that follow this stuff closer than I - why is it that years after the new “clean diesel” reformulation / accompanying infrastructure support changes that diesel pricing is STILL significantly higher than gasoline? Diesel used to be around the price of “unleaded plus”, but is now significantly MORE THAN PREMIUM GAS IN MY AREA (PHILLY)! ($5.50 vs $4.99).

What’s going on?!!!!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Without going into politics.
One word.....Government. People in office have a lot of influence in the area of fuel prices.

Also. No idea if this really has anything to do with it, but you can get more gallons of gas out of the same amount of oil then you can with diesel.
A very good question to ask and I'll stick around to see answers come about, but this could get interesting fast....

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Also sorry to hear of your diesel prices thats insane! I pay ~4$ where I live and i think its ridiculous.

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Also sorry to hear of your diesel prices thats insane! I pay ~4$ where I live and i think its ridiculous.
Yeah - I picked up my “unicorn” (Golf MkVII TDi SEL 6-spd) last year after a national search - having realized that I screwed up selling my cherry 2012 Sportwagen TDi back to VW after Dieselgate….
Found it in the Chicago ‘burbs” and flew out there during the pandemic to get it! Driving it home, noticed how diesel fuel was much cheaper in Ohio and Indiana vs PA……
So I’m sure that tax DEFINITELY plays a role….
Still happy I got it. Puts a big smile on my face every time I drive it….
But like you said, given that the trucking industry is so dependent on diesel it really surprises me that their lobbyists don’t have more influence - given how so many goods are moved by truck…..

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Thanks for sharing that.
This article pretty much answers my question and clears things up for me.
Sounds pretty ugly….
Sort of like Climate Crisis feedback loops - and no end in sight….
SMH…

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Jumped up to over $6 in NJ at some stations. I was filling up at BJ's in Howell NJ this morning. The digital price was $5.77 and the old price on the tags that handn't been changed yet was $5.29. So crazy, when is this going to end?! I am thinking about taking a huge pay cut, and working closer to home because of this. I near 50 mpg average in the sedan, but it's like $500 a month for fuel!

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Jumped up to over $6 in NJ at some stations. I was filling up at BJ's in Howell NJ this morning. The digital price was $5.77 and the old price on the tags that handn't been changed yet was $5.29. So crazy, when is this going to end?! I am thinking about taking a huge pay cut, and working closer to home because of this. I near 50 mpg average in the sedan, but it's like $500 a month for fuel!
I feel your pain! I commute ~ 300 miles to work per week and until the recent price increases I was still feeling good about my decision to rejoin the diesel family - instead of paying a premium for an immature, unsafe (fires) technology that is not as clean overall as they would have you believe…
Again - I would HOPE that given the importance of trucking in the deliverance of goods…and the economic impact of diesel prices on trucking…that this issue would definitely be on the bureaucrats radar screens…
Because when it starts affecting peoples bottom line (and thus their voting) is when things start to be addressed…

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
just drove from SW Florida 2000 miles to NE and the prices are all over the lot. as low as 5. in FL to 6.50 in NJ. There is a lot of crap going on for sure. I'll be parking my TREG for the summer.

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
just drove from SW Florida 2000 miles to NE and the prices are all over the lot. as low as 5. in FL to 6.50 in NJ. There is a lot of crap going on for sure. I'll be parking my TREG for the summer.
Thanks for the input.
Here in metro Philly the price is now up to $5.89 / gal - over $0.80 greater than premium gas!!! But I can’t stop driving my Golf TDi…
Not really an option….

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I am fortunate to have an Altrack that gets as good or better mileage as my TREG . AT uses regular ,TREG diesel 4,35 vs $6.00 no brainer

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
$500 / $6/gal = 83.3 gal
83.3 gal x 50 mi/gal = 4167 miles

You drive 4k miles/month?

TDI
2006 BEW
$6.00 per gallon? I'll take that.

Currently $2.54 per LITER where I am in Canada.

$2.54 × 3.78 = 9.60 per gallon.

Yeah, you poor darlings.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
$7.49 USD. Prices here are in the $6.25 - $6.50 range. So about $1/gal more in Canada.

TDI
2006 BEW
$133 CDN yesterday to fill my PD wagon. Making me rethink the suspension refresh I have slotted for this weekend. Might just park it and drive my truck. 😎

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I got premium diesel yesterday and it was less than regular d2. Yes it was onroad. Was still 5.12 per gal

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
51% of US petroleum imports came from Canada in '21, but the US was a net exporter of petroleum last year.

TDI
2006 BEW
Maybe J.T. will grow a pair and start keeping it in-house.

We've shut down several refineries on the east coast over the past decade. Maybe if we can hit that 2% GDP towards military (also doubt it), we could satisfy NATO's requirements and not have to act like scared little children shivering in the corner. 😔

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
My only comment is that fuel prices have jumped too much. Unfortunatly, all I own for cars are VW TDI's ( :) )

I found 1 station at $4.65 (that will probably change when they run out and get a fillup), just about all others are $5.19 -$5.49 (KC area)

I'm going to be taking a trip to Maryland (Havre deGrace area) the last week of June, then coming home over the July 4th holiday weekend. Route will probably closely follow I-70 / I-95.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
one thing that makes absolutly no sense, the price of propane?

propane and diesel always tracked rise and fall, yet currently completely different.

$6.09 gallon at the pump and 5.99 for home heating oil, in the Northeast, been that way for about two weeks now.

Irving in St John NB Canada must be rolling in it as I'd wager their cost to produce diesel hasn't jumped that much in the past 3 months.

My only guess is that it's a global commodity and other people (countries) are driving up demand. When Natural gas is shut off to parts of Europe the next easiest thing to ship cross the pond is diesel&distillate fuel.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
at about $6.39 here in CT from what im seeing, then $6.25 for home heating oil. i just so happen to be running low and will need a fill up...
looks like wiring up an in line electric water heat will be cheaper than filling the ol tank up :confused:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
My only comment is that fuel prices have jumped too much. Unfortunatly, all I own for cars are VW TDI's ( :) )

I found 1 station at $4.65 (that will probably change when they run out and get a fillup), just about all others are $5.19 -$5.49 (KC area)

I'm going to be taking a trip to Maryland (Havre deGrace area) the last week of June, then coming home over the July 4th holiday weekend. Route will probably closely follow I-70 / I-95.
Tip: Avoid the PA Turnpike. $$$$$

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Yeah rheems good. The low sulfur diesel has an extra step which involves removing hydrogen and that is done with natural gas. So a shortage or shutoff will drive up diesel price

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
at about $6.39 here in CT from what im seeing, then $6.25 for home heating oil. i just so happen to be running low and will need a fill up...
looks like wiring up an in line electric water heat will be cheaper than filling the ol tank up :confused:
As NWdriver mentioned hit up a hybrid hot water heater, we've had a GE unit that's only run on heat pump for 6 years.

It was $1000 for the 40gallon unit, another 150 for 10/3 and a breaker, but my friendly local utility gave me $500 rebate for the install, didn't even pull a permit. In CT i'm sure there is some sort of rebate these days. I maybe noticed $10/month increase in utility bill.

It also sucks the heat out of the basement (cools it down) as well as the moisture, i just have to empty a 5 gallon bucket every other week when it's supper humid out, no drains in our basement and didn't want to install a lift pump.

partlyvwp14

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI 2.0
For those of you that follow this stuff closer than I - why is it that years after the new “clean diesel” reformulation / accompanying infrastructure support changes that diesel pricing is STILL significantly higher than gasoline? Diesel used to be around the price of “unleaded plus”, but is now significantly MORE THAN PREMIUM GAS IN MY AREA (PHILLY)! ($5.50 vs $4.99).

What’s going on?!!!!

NC is currently around 5.49 a gallon. It is only going to go higher. I heard they are programming the pumps to be able to calculate and display 10.00 + a gallon fuel.