CUA (BiTDI) water to air intercooler meets PD130

intaketommy

TDI
VW Polo PD130
The Passat BiTDI 240hp has a very large water to air intercooler. It has a heat exchange power of 40kW.

Plan is to bring it directly to PD 130 intake ....it should be a integrated solution. Stay tuned ;)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Nice, make sure you locate it somewhere you won't be hating yourself later on for, mine needs five jointed wrists, three arms and a mirror to get the intake manifold bolts in, just stuck the core right above the cutoff ALH manifold flange.

Thought about making the IC core bolt to a big flange on the intake, but didn't take the time to do it. What's the outlet flange look like on that one? Looks like it'd maybe be an easy way to go.
ETA: oh, maybe that's just the cylinder head flange for a 16v CR huh

Last edited:

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
In Europe the new Biturbo T6 204hp vans have got a water cooled intercooler/charge cooler.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Would the CRUA unit not fit better in a tight space? Will be interesting to see what you come up with. The unit in the CRUA does a fantastic job already at keeping temps steady throughout any hard runs.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Might be good for low powered cars but i dont see it perform well with 300+hp. FMIC remains the best option for low IAT.

intaketommy

TDI
VW Polo PD130
Sorry guys, nowadays to be updated is little bit difficult.

Here are the pictures:

I cut off the flange of CUA flange.

Cut off the egr flange.

Building the "substructure".

Porting and little bit polishing the ports.

2" Pipe to the CUA water-air-cooler and welding a "box".

hot water exit.

Very tight fit behind the engine, because in VW Polo 9N not so much space.

But finally it works :D :) :cool:

source

TDI
Octavia MK1 ASV 81Kw
wau, this looks good, but do you have some real world measures ? what is your intake air temparute now ?

intaketommy

TDI
VW Polo PD130
wau, this looks good, but do you have some real world measures ? what is your intake air temparute now ?

On German Autobahn 240km/h WOT the IAT is 29°C. But my water radiator in the front is smaller one, I will upgrade this.

Take note the water-air-cooler sink heat out of the head, too.

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The Passat BiTDI 240hp has a very large water to air intercooler. It has a heat exchange power of 40kW.

Plan is to bring it directly to PD 130 intake ....it should be a integrated solution. Stay tuned ;)
40 kW? At what water flow? Water temperature? and last but not least, what air flow( and temperature )? I want a water IC too, and am fairly sure they can be fit with less troubles...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
I had a similar idea. Although 40 kW cooling power is not enough for me.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Tell that to the Formula 1 teams, they might rebuild their engines.:rolleyes:
You are comparing 150k of cooling system to what a dude does in his garage with sh parts lol.
We all know this is a solution but i just dont see how a guy with a 3k car will invest 1000 in making a proper water cooled system while the 100euro intercooler keeps iat 5deg above ambient at 3bar boost.

raffshore

You are comparing 150k of cooling system to what a dude does in his garage with sh parts lol.
We all know this is a solution but i just dont see how a guy with a 3k car will invest 1000 in making a proper water cooled system while the 100euro intercooler keeps iat 5deg above ambient at 3bar boost.
dude w t f, first of all it's very low to talk about car worth.
second he has an idea and builds it, should he ask you if it's a good idea?

Great work man keep us informed how it works

Gardner

TDI
ASV
Interesting job, but how about vibrations? VE TDI engine has no balancers as bi-tdi and charge cooler gets heavy with liquid. I would be worried to see cracks after a while. I have also watercooled VE TDI project but utilised original SMIC location to place charge cooler.