Cruze Diesel Review in Diesel World magazine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Plenty of places have ZERO cell coverage.. even though the roads are paved.

Bill
Then his cell phone + AAA wouldn't work either now would it ;)?

That was my point.

(Not to mention OnStar uses GPS to locate, so technically it could get coordinates anywhere on the planet...transmitting them is the issue.)

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Then his cell phone + AAA wouldn't work either now would it ;)?
That was my point.
(Not to mention OnStar uses GPS to locate, so technically it could get coordinates anywhere on the planet...transmitting them is the issue.)
You win, after all you can't call AAA from a land line. :rolleyes:

Bill

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
You win, after all you can't call AAA from a land line. :rolleyes:
Bill
Is there a reason you're being smarmy? You can call OnStar for help from a landline as well. Both are near identical in the end. If I had a GM, I'd probably use OnStar over AAA for the other added benefits.

My point was, his statement was silly. TECHNICALLY OnStar can get coordinates anywhere on the planet (the transmission of them to HQ over cell is the issue), so saying that he "couldn't be found" was silly. And if he truly was in the middle of nowhere, a cell + AAA wouldn't help much either.

steveg241

TDI
No TDI's for now, 2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel
Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 5w40 looks like a reasonable option- available at NAPA
True, however, it is not the weight specified in the owners manual. The manual specifies 5w30 weight oil. How well could GM tell you used a heavier oil, I'm not sure. But I wouldn't risk my powertrain warranty over the wrong oil. I'm sticking with Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 which isn't Dexos2, but is ACEA C3 compliant and therefore a Dexos2 equivalent according to the manual.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
You take your diesel off planet? That's impressive.
Let me give you some locations for you to find. Most are on private lease roads and have no physical address. They are typically designated by this as an example:

Walter Smith Unit Injection Station #2 - well #13B.

Try to find that with Onstar!;)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Easy if coordinates are available. Many sites are not. Matter a fact, older sites in the oilfield were not recorded and the only *directions* are verbal from field personnel. Of course, what would you know or understand about this industry? Onstar is worthless in many field operations situations.

Try to find it:
Walter Smith Unit Injection Station #2 - well #13

Its in Stonewall County near Highway 83, just 5.2 miles south of Aspermont along an unmarked road that leads to east to the W.S. Unit Tank Battery 1-A. There are 40+ wells in the field, and about 12 are plugged or shut in. This is an injector and has no pumping unit. Go for it.

(here's a hint):

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
OK get me the directions to the well above and the coordinates.
That's exactly the point. You don't have to with OnStar. Car just knows it's at XX by YY degrees. Transmits to HQ. Done.

With AAA you have to do exactly what you're doing here (a poor attempt to prove me wrong), give verbal instructions.

The irony of this is astounding.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I think we're talking about different services.
One of OnStar's strenghts is in being able to summon help to the car's location, no matter how remote.
Exactly. He's saying OnStar can't, because "coordinates aren't available". It also seems like he's insinuating that giving verbal directions to AAA is the only option.
The cell phone is to call AAA. I use my diesel for a living and go to places Onstar wouldn't be able to find.
Most are on private lease roads and have no physical address. Try to find that with Onstar!;)
Easy if coordinates are available. Many sites are not.
He doesn't know how GPS works obviously.

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I think he was assuming that you were querying OnStar for turn-by-turn directions (another available service) to his obscure destination.
Perhaps.

But nothing in the context suggests that. AAA doesn't offer that service; why bring them up?

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
After looking hard at a Cruze diesel I decided on another VW diesel, but not pleased with the radio. It buried the am band.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Just "built" one on the chevy site: Just over 30K with some basic upgrades but without sunroof or trim upgrades...wow!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Exactly. He's saying OnStar can't, because "coordinates aren't available". It also seems like he's insinuating that giving verbal directions to AAA is the only option.
He doesn't know how GPS works obviously.
Maybe you don't get it. :rolleyes:

WE DON"T USUALLY HAVE THE COORDINATES TO THESE WELLS. :rolleyes:

We do use a Garmin once we establish the locations. Return field trips are with that device. We actually plot the field in Google Earth and locate each well and pipeline sales point on the map plot once we find them. Then we save the GE maps we make for later use. We have laptops mounted in our trucks and internet access through a Verizon link. We don't need Onstar after we get our data.

Anyway Mr. P:

Thank you very much for your advice and helpful suggestions. We appreciate your keen judgement and ability to provide technical strategies for us in the oilfiled. You are certainly a great asset to this forum. ;)

steveg241

TDI
No TDI's for now, 2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel
Just "built" one on the chevy site: Just over 30K with some basic upgrades but without sunroof or trim upgrades...wow!

There are no trim upgrades on the Cruze Diesel because it is already at a 2LT trim. Heated seats, leather, MyLink radio are all standard options. All it is really missing from the LTZ trim is the key-less ignition system, automatic climate control and fog lamps. The LTZ has 18" wheels versus 17" on the Diesel. I prefer this with all the potholes around.

The options are:

Sun-roof
Driver Convenience Package (Heated Mirrors, Auto-dimming rear view, one touch three blink lane change)
Enhanced Safety Package (Blind zone alert, rear cross traffic alert, rear park assist)
Navigation
Premium Sound System
Chrome Package
Dealer Installed Fog Lights

They are nicely equipped vehicles and have some options available the Jetta does not. The Jetta does offer a manual shift option however.

The equivalent Jetta to the Cruze Diesel I purchased is within $200 MSRP with a few differences here and there. After talking with dealers I was still within $500 after negotiating with local dealers for both cars. I owe that mainly to the limited supply of Cruze Diesels and the abundant supply of Jetta TDI's. Not saying one is better than the other, just that as a matter of fact there are many more Jetta TDI's sitting on the lot right now than Cruze Diesels.

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Maybe you don't get it. :rolleyes:
WE DON"T USUALLY HAVE THE COORDINATES TO THESE WELLS. :rolleyes:
It's obvious you're the one who doesn't get it. YOU DON'T ACTUALLY NEED THE COORDINATES YOURSELF, A LAND LINE, SMOKE SIGNALS, OR VERBAL DIRECTIONS FOR ONSTAR TO WORK, I.E., FIND YOUR WELLS.

It uses GPS, just like your Garmin. And if you have Verizon service out there, then guess what, OnStar would not only be able to find your location, but it could also even call 911 for you as that is who OnStar uses to communicate back to HQ.

So thank you for continuing to prove me correct, and your statements...

I use my diesel for a living and go to places Onstar wouldn't be able to find.
Most are on private lease roads and have no physical address. Try to find that with Onstar!;)
...completely incorrect.

Thank you very much for your advice and helpful suggestions. We appreciate your keen judgement and ability to provide technical strategies for us in the oilfiled. You are certainly a great asset to this forum. ;)
The ignorance you show is amazing. Not only do you continuously make yourself look like a fool, you then try (and fail) to insult me? Where did I ever post ANYTHING about your work in the oilfield? You said OnStar wouldn't work where you work, and you even gave an example. Well guess what, it would. Everything south of Aspermont, your "hard to find" example, is covered.

I suggest you do a couple Google searches and find out how OnStar and Global Positioning Satellites actually work. And then, you may actually get my original joke.

Last edited:

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
three reasons why this is getting locked:-

You seem to think you have the last word on everything around here.
But, if you don't want to read (or hear) what others think is a good feature I suggest you do not read a review, or a thread on a review then talk crap about it
The ignorance you show is amazing. Not only do you continuously make yourself look like a fool,
Please read the forum rules

http://www.tdiclub.com/Disclaimer/ForumRules.html

No flaming of other members to incite or perpetuate a conflict or argument. ANY personal attacks or name calling will get you banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.