Cruze Diesel is rated at 52 mpg highway in stick version, 37 mpg combined

MRO1791

TDI
2015 Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Dodge Cummins
Over 8000 miles, best 50 mile average 59 MPG!

Yes, the car has been great. We had that one DPF issue in the first week, replaced and its been trouble free since. Had the first complementary service and oil change not long ago. Very happy with the car, it was a good change. :)

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Bump...

Any other Cruze Diesel owners out there that converted from a TDI? What do you like vs not like compared to your TDI?

I am considering getting rid of my modified 2006 Jetta TDI and looking at a CPO 2014 or 2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Yes, the car has been great. We had that one DPF issue in the first week, replaced and its been trouble free since. Had the first complementary service and oil change not long ago. Very happy with the car, it was a good change. :)
Well, we joined the Cruze Turbo Diesel club Saturday and bought a 4000 mile CPO 2015 in Tungsten Metallic with a Jet Black interior. I really like the car and as of now the 2006 Jetta TDI is for sale...

Looking forward to many years and miles in the Cruze as we had with the Jetta...

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Well, we joined the Cruze Turbo Diesel club Saturday and bought a 4000 mile CPO 2015 in Tungsten Metallic with a Jet Black interior. I really like the car and as of now the 2006 Jetta TDI is for sale...

Looking forward to many years and miles in the Cruze as we had with the Jetta...
How does the build quality compare to VW?

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
How does the build quality compare to VW?
Honestly I think it is very good. The seams and gaps are good as is the engine and transmission performance. The car is much quieter than any VW Jetta or Golf I have driven or ridden in. I expect it will last many years and judging by my previous GM experience I expect that it wont have the typical and constant VW gremlins like broken door wires and saggy headliners that my MK5 Jetta has.

I mean really, did the engineers at VW not expect the driver door to be opened A LOT of times??? Why did they use wire that would not hold up to repeated USE of the DRIVER DOOR of a CAR?!?!?!?!?!

My Jetta has many performance upgrades and currently carves corners better and brakes much better than the Cruze Diesel. But my modded TDI is almost exactly as fast as the stock Cruze Turbo Diesel so I expect that once I mod and upgrade the Cruze it will be much faster than the TDI. I hope to do a similar performance brake upgrade on the Cruze using brake parts from a Cadillac ATS like I did with the Boxster calipers on the Jetta TDI. If we can do that it will be a very great car, it is a very nice car as it is, but with better brakes, nice wheels and tires and more power it will be downright AWESOME!!!

Of course the back seat is a little smaller than the MK5 Jetta, but the front is just as roomy and more comfortable as far as the console not digging into my leg like it does in the TDI.

The automatic used in the Cruze Diesel is a very nice trans that is well tuned and programmed and can handle the power of even a 200 HP modded Cruze Diesel without any problems for over 50,000 miles according to my friends at Fleece Performance Engineering and they are even getting 50+ MPG since some of the funny lettered parts fell off...

Any TDI owner owes it to themself to give a Cruze Diesel a shot if you are thinking of replacing any TDI... They really are nice little cars, I got a great deal on my 2015 with only 4100 miles on it as a CPO and there are a few still out there that are new or low mileage CPOs that can be had... But during my research and searching about 6 of the ones I was honing in on sold out from under me so they are still moving...

Chevrolet says the new model will have a 1.6L diesel engine as a 2017 model soon and I expect that to be a great car too. I have heard great things about the 2nd generation Cruze and they are lighter so with the lighter weight car and smaller more efficient engine I would not be surprised to see a 50+ MPG highway rating, all with a functional/legal emissions system!!!!:eek::D:eek::D

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Test drove a Duramax Powered ,Colorado last week Nice!
I had one for a week to review and it was a great little truck!!! I was amazed at how much I could tow with it (a skid steer) as well as how good it did off road!!!

My review is on the newsstand right now in Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine with a shot of the Colorado diesel off roading on the top of the cover.

Check it out and let me know what you think of the article...:D

MRO1791

TDI

Congratulations! Glad you found one.. Mine is now over 13K, racking up miles fast, lifetime MPG is at 40, my wife does quite a bit of city driving, but it typically gets well over 50 on the highway, and has a record of 59.1 for a 50 mile average.

Once the initial DPF problem was resolved in the first week, it has been trouble free.. except for MICE!! Darn critters got under the hood and chewed on a cap to the vacuum pump that is used to adjust the variable vane turbo.. it is threw some codes, and had a loss of power, but the fix was easy, and now it's time to think about a few outside hunting cats!!

Hope you also enjoy the new car, my wife is very happy and likes it much better than the 2012 Jetta we had for almost 3 years.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Congratulations! Glad you found one.. Mine is now over 13K, racking up miles fast, lifetime MPG is at 40, my wife does quite a bit of city driving, but it typically gets well over 50 on the highway, and has a record of 59.1 for a 50 mile average.

Once the initial DPF problem was resolved in the first week, it has been trouble free.. except for MICE!! Darn critters got under the hood and chewed on a cap to the vacuum pump that is used to adjust the variable vane turbo.. it is threw some codes, and had a loss of power, but the fix was easy, and now it's time to think about a few outside hunting cats!!

Hope you also enjoy the new car, my wife is very happy and likes it much better than the 2012 Jetta we had for almost 3 years.
Cool, good to hear you guys like yours!!!:D

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
We've been adding Cruze stuff to our catalog. We finally got the supply chain put together enough to have reliable stock on stuff. These things look to be *extremely* reliable, especially for a GM product, and DOUBLE so since they had to make the engine in house under a tight timeline. Finding parts has been a blast, actually, since GM did some SERIOUS parts binning - Saab part here, Opel part there, GM part somewhere else. Its pretty cool!

So far the only resource I've found is CruzeTalk. I hate it because it is an AutoGuide forum, meaning a whole lot of ads, slow servers, and poor content.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
We've been adding Cruze stuff to our catalog. We finally got the supply chain put together enough to have reliable stock on stuff. These things look to be *extremely* reliable, especially for a GM product, and DOUBLE so since they had to make the engine in house under a tight timeline. Finding parts has been a blast, actually, since GM did some SERIOUS parts binning - Saab part here, Opel part there, GM part somewhere else. Its pretty cool!

So far the only resource I've found is CruzeTalk. I hate it because it is an AutoGuide forum, meaning a whole lot of ads, slow servers, and poor content.
That's cool that you guys are covering the CTD also... I now have somewhere to turn when the time comes...

I've seen that on CruzeTalk...:eek:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Former member Derrel H Green has been racking up a lot of miles on his 2014 Curze diesel and is extremely happy with it. His previous diesels were a Jetta Wagon and an MB 320. We run into him now and then at Costco fuel pumps.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Former member Derrel H Green has been racking up a lot of miles on his 2014 Curze diesel and is extremely happy with it. His previous diesels were a Jetta Wagon and an MB 320. We run into him now and then at Costco fuel pumps.
I haven't seen him post in ages! Glad he's still around and enjoying his Cruze. :cool:

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
We are loving our little Cruze Diesel. We have put around 3000 miles on it so far and it is doing good! Got the windows tinted and did carbon fiber vinyl on the front and rear Bowties and it is looking good! I have most of the parts gathered up to do a big brake upgrade too so it will be stopping as good or better than out TDI Jetta with the Brembo's soon!!!

MRO1791

TDI
We are loving our little Cruze Diesel. We have put around 3000 miles on it so far and it is doing good! Got the windows tinted and did carbon fiber vinyl on the front and rear Bowties and it is looking good! I have most of the parts gathered up to do a big brake upgrade too so it will be stopping as good or better than out TDI Jetta with the Brembo's soon!!!
Thanks for the update.. If you get a chance, can you post up the parts and source for the brake upgrade.. when mine gets to needing new brakes I may well do that upgrade as well.
We are over 16K, had one more other CEL (Code P22FA), for the NOx sensor, no drivability problems.. emissions only. Replaced under warranty at the dealership.. just for my information, the probe was a $200 part.. the technician commented that it was contaminated with heavy soot.. I'd guess the early DPF failure where it was passing soot could have been a factor in the early NOx sensor failure.. there should be no soot there (my 2009 Dodge Cummins with 33K miles has no soot in the tail pipe, still, and the sensors are after the DPF). Hopefully there are no more issues, but the car drives great, and continues to get excellent fuel economy. Hope GM comes out with a 2017 Diesel Cruze.. my 96' Saturn is not going to last forever.. and I'd seriously consider another Diesel Cruze if the are again available.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the update.. If you get a chance, can you post up the parts and source for the brake upgrade.. when mine gets to needing new brakes I may well do that upgrade as well.
We are over 16K, had one more other CEL (Code P22FA), for the NOx sensor, no drivability problems.. emissions only. Replaced under warranty at the dealership.. just for my information, the probe was a $200 part.. the technician commented that it was contaminated with heavy soot.. I'd guess the early DPF failure where it was passing soot could have been a factor in the early NOx sensor failure.. there should be no soot there (my 2009 Dodge Cummins with 33K miles has no soot in the tail pipe, still, and the sensors are after the DPF). Hopefully there are no more issues, but the car drives great, and continues to get excellent fuel economy. Hope GM comes out with a 2017 Diesel Cruze.. my 96' Saturn is not going to last forever.. and I'd seriously consider another Diesel Cruze if the are again available.
When I get the brake upgrade figured out I'll be writing an article on it for Diesel World and/or Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazines. I'll include the part numbers for sure...

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
Chevy Cruze diesel to return in 2017

AutoGuide and other news sites are reporting that Chevrolet is adding diesel to its Cruze next year. It's an Opel 1.6L with 275lb/ft of torque.
Chevy admits this is being done to grab VW TDI buyers who would have few other choices at that price point.
Would you consider getting a Cruze diesel?

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
I always consider American made first, however I am usually disappointed by the outcome. VW has probably lost me.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
They are interesting. If forced to sell the Sportwagen (I'm in a CARB state with a green governor and liberal leaning legislature), it is already under consideration to get a Cruze. Too bad they look like rental cars, though maybe a little less than a few years ago.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I always consider American made first, however I am usually disappointed by the outcome. VW has probably lost me.
While I value American built, I am indifferent as to where the design was done, and some of the American stuff looks like a badly implemented pinball machine to me . . . tacky, ugly, and stupendously poor ergonomics in the controls.

For American built, I like to keep jobs here . . . but (and please, let's not let this comment get out of hand . . .) I prefer to *NOT* fund any company infected with the Unskilled Apathetic Workforce, so VW, in that regard, fit my criteria well. My 2013 Passat has one of the best control layouts I have owned in quite a while - dedicated, easy controls and not a touch screen or menu in sight in primary controls, and build in the US by independent labor.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
2017 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160802/RETAIL03/160809957/gm-will-take-aim-at-vw-with-diesel-chevy-cruze

Nicholson said he believes the U.S. market for diesel-powered cars and light trucks is still viable, despite Volkswagen’s diesel emissions scandal. “I think the U.S. is one of the few diesel growth markets on the planet,” he said.

“I am very optimistic about the diesel market in the U.S. It has been abandoned by others and we are happy to step in and be the leader. Frankly that’s what we’d like to do,” he said.
It's still planned.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
Surprised no-one ever mentions Jaguar. The new XE and XF will both have the 180hp diesel as the default base engine. The XF will drop the 2.0T gasoline engine altogether. Seems like they have a lot of faith in the technology.

clark246810

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI, DSG Golf Sport Wagon
The DSG (manual with automatic feature) is now OBSOLETE! So are the manuals and the automatic (automatic with manual feature).

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...ages/news/us/en/2016/may/0511-10speed-gm.html

This thing really does change everything.
I have to hand it to GM they got all the pieces of the puzzle, TRANSMISSION, MAGNETIC RIDE SUSPENSION, CHASSIS,ENGINE( LT4 6.2 LITER SUPERCHARGED), ELECTRONICS, INTERIORS, (still room for improvement) Tho the noise cancel is trick as is the laminated windows, PRICE POINT, next is the implementation ACROSS ALL LINES.

I never liked GM, in fact I hated GM products, total junk.........fast forward .......now I feel like I am from Missouri, THE SHOW ME STATE.
They are leading by example and a very powerful example at that.
Patience is a virtue !

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I have looked at both the Chevy Volt and Chevy Cruze (same body, I know) in both 1st and 2nd generations. Just can not get excited about it. The view from the drivers seat leaves large blind spots for me. Have a buddy who leased a 1st gen Volt - LOVED it and purchased a 2016 2nd generation Volt and loves that one even more. Me? I will keep my 96 Passat Wagon and Anita will keep her 2015 Camry for another 2 years. Then she is talking about getting a Prius. Maybe she will go for the Volt, who knows.

Will also test drive the diesel Cruze when it hits the show room, just like I did the first gen Cruze diesel.

But I am done with Volkswagen. Just like I was done with Firestone tires in the late 1970's when 3 of the 4 Firestone 500 tires on my car crapped out. Never had another Firestone tire, no matter what.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
It depends. Not in the first year and only in the hatchback model....maybe. A six speed stick might seal the deal but only if the first year isn't full of bugs. Not thrilled with the idea of On Star but I like the idea of Apple Play.

I'll see how the VW fix works out for the Gen 1 but I'm not going to be the guinea pig. Only 3 months after they start doing fixes.