Cruze Diesel is rated at 52 mpg highway in stick version, 37 mpg combined

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Any GM product likely would not be a top 5 choice for me. But if the car made sense, I would consider it.

However, if all they offer is a cramped 4 door sedan automatic like the last one, they won't be getting my money.

MRO1791

TDI
2015 Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Dodge Cummins
Thanks for adding parts, just ordered your filter kit

We've been adding Cruze stuff to our catalog. We finally got the supply chain put together enough to have reliable stock on stuff. These things look to be *extremely* reliable, especially for a GM product, and DOUBLE so since they had to make the engine in house under a tight timeline. Finding parts has been a blast, actually, since GM did some SERIOUS parts binning - Saab part here, Opel part there, GM part somewhere else. Its pretty cool!

So far the only resource I've found is CruzeTalk. I hate it because it is an AutoGuide forum, meaning a whole lot of ads, slow servers, and poor content.
I just picked up my SECOND 2015 Cruze Diesel. The original has not be completely trouble free.. the initial DPF replacement, then NOx sensor, then ECU (something odd about that, as the car was running fine, and had a O2 sensor code at the same time). Following the ECU, the P0133 again, and they then replaced the O2 sensor. If I had to guess, the soot that wiped out the sensors likely had its roots in the first week of bad DPF, coupled perhaps with something going on in the ECU.. but now the car appears to be OK.. well I do hope so anyway! (Now a bit past 19K miles). Despite this, looking for another car, I came upon what seemed to be a great deal on a 2015, the only downside was it was pretty high miles for a 2015, 44500! Lots of miles for 10 months of the first owner.. car was in great shape, so I went for it. As a result, I'll be doing some preemptive maintenance, the Car Fax shows what appears to be regular dealer maintenance, but I'll believe that when I inspect it and verify only.. so the filter kit from IdParts was a great help.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
Just picked up a 2014 Rainforest Green Metallic Chevrolet Cruze Diesel this weekend. The 2001 Jetta will soon be for sale.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I'm gonna keep my Passat for the next two years and decide what I want to do then. The Cruze looks like it might be in the picture at that time. My biggest question is........drum roll....who is gonna work on it except the inept dealership?

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
How does the Chevy Cruze turbo-diesel compare to the VW Golf/Jetta 2.0 CR TDI?

Does the Cruze have a six speed automatic also?

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
The Cruze does have a six speed automatic. It is a torque converter type automatic.
GM tried to make the car somewhat comparable, though it is smaller. They were aiming at VW owners. How well they did is debatable.

MRO1791

TDI
How does the Chevy Cruze turbo-diesel compare to the VW Golf/Jetta 2.0 CR TDI?

Does the Cruze have a six speed automatic also?
Well, coming from a Jetta TDI with the DSG.. my assessment is the engine is solid, more torque and Hp, has a solid, proven HPFP that won't die and kill your fuel system. The car is smaller than the 2012 Jetta, but drives nice. The DSG is a better transmission, I'd really like a manual, but not happening with GM anytime soon with a diesel. That said, the auto is not a bad transmission, it is an Aisin-Warner, made in Japan. Same transmission used in the ford Fusion, and several Saabs, Volvos, and other higher end cars going back to about 2005, it has a solid track record for reliable, long term operation, and can handle over 300 ft-lbs of torque. Being a torque converter box, it is not as snappy as the DSG, but it is a good transmission, and has a neutral free wheel mode, and lock-up, so does pretty well on fuel economy on the highway, and at idle. The first Cruze has had a few emissions issues, and mentioned earlier in this thread. That said, we have been happy with the car. Supposedly GM is set to come out with "whisper" diesel, a 1.6L engine for the 2017 Cruze. It would be nice if they would put the 2.8l in the Colorado in a SUV or crossover, or large sedan, that engine has a solid reputation. They could also put the 2.0L engine in a larger sedan and it would have plenty of power and torque to perform there also, like a Malibu or similar. I think GM is playing it really safe with US Diesel options.. after the VW cheat, and the former US GM diesel disasters.. I guess it is somewhat understandable, if still frustrating.

MRO1791

TDI
I'm gonna keep my Passat for the next two years and decide what I want to do then. The Cruze looks like it might be in the picture at that time. My biggest question is........drum roll....who is gonna work on it except the inept dealership?
Since I normally do all my own work post warranty, I don't worry too much.. but I get your concern. Some dealerships are better than others, and not all VW dealerships have the best track record. My dealer doing the warranty work repairs has done well, and as it turns out, they have a former VW TDI mechanic on staff there. GM has many Duramax Trucks out there, and now the 2.8l Duramax in the Colorado.. so they will have more and more experienced mechanics going forward. While certainly some differences, also some similarities and parts.. OEMs try to have as few parts as possible.. perhaps a futile effort it may seem.

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
I might have gone with the Cruze diesel if they had had a station wagon version. Ultimately, the 2017 Chevy Volt won me because its EV range covers my round-trip daily commute. Blind spots in the Gen2 Volt are a problem, however.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I might have gone with the Cruze diesel if they had had a station wagon version. Ultimately, the 2017 Chevy Volt won me because its EV range covers my round-trip daily commute. Blind spots in the Gen2 Volt are a problem, however.
Yes bring it in a wagon version and many who would not consider a GM product might change their mind.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I bought a Chevy Cruze a few weeks ago. I ended up with the gasser because you couldn't get 3 pedals with a diesel and I won't buy anything without 3 pedals. [OK, maybe a Tahoe for the wife, but not a car.]

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That's BS! Chevy stated the Equinox will be here next summer with the same Diesel engine
that will be in the Cruze and the Cruze is supposed to be 1st!
The Equinox with the diesel has been announced as a 2018 model and should be out no later than March. Maybe the new (redesigned) Cruze with the diesel will come out the same way. A 2018 model released in first quarter of 2017.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Now, if they only offered it in a wagon variant as well as a manual, I might give it a look... ;)

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
I bought a Chevy Cruze a few weeks ago. I ended up with the gasser because you couldn't get 3 pedals with a diesel and I won't buy anything without 3 pedals. [OK, maybe a Tahoe for the wife, but not a car.]
Oops!

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
AutoGuide and other news sites are reporting that Chevrolet is adding diesel to its Cruze next year. It's an Opel 1.6L with 275lb/ft of torque.
Chevy admits this is being done to grab VW TDI buyers who would have few other choices at that price point.
Would you consider getting a Cruze diesel?
No. Have no interest in a Chevrolet Cruze.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
Cruz hatchback looks small, cramped and ugly to me. The 1.4L gasser is priced at $22k - can only imagine the price premium for the diesel.

A 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT seems to have my name on it.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
That article is for GM Canada. No mention of offering the same three pedals in the States.
While I view my white TDI wagon - and the very similar white Alltrac at a local VW dealer - as very nifty..................

i actually would like to test drive GM's Cruze diesel wagon - - - with a real honest-to-god manual shift (complete with good clutch feel and decent synchros/shift gating)..................

...not holding my breath here (but I once had a Corvette from GM that set the bar (back in 1970)........................

ez