Cruise Control Not Working After Engine Swap

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
BIgAndy is right, I was wrong, I just pulled out the Mk3 Bentley and only three of the four wires connecting to the switch come from the ECU, the black wire does indeed rely on power from S14. I had originally thought they all connected to the ECU. The connection to the switch is made from S14 that comes from D/11 and goes to a junction block where other connections requiring switched ignition power also connect. D/9 is the same, takes power from S14 and distributes it elsewhere.

I went and looked at my B4 wiring harness and the power connection for the cruise is shown in this old photo I did for someone else who was doing a Mk2 TDI conversion. The black wire with the green connector marked "D11" is the power for the cruise stalk. That green connector needs to be plugged into a green junction block above the fuse / relay panel. Find the one that has the wire coming from D11 and that will be it. If you've done that and still have no power check continuity between the junction block connector and the cruise stalk connector.

If this is all old news for you then I would check the green junction block for 12v with ign switch on. If that's not present then pull and reinstall the fuse or replace it and check again. When you get power to the junction block you should have power to the cruise stalk.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The arrow here is pointing to one of the green junction blocks. This photo is of a 96 Passat TDI fuse box, so it should be almost if not identical.

One of those junction blocks will have the connection from D/11. Connect that black wire with green single connector in the engine harness to that block and I think (hope) you will have the 12v you need.

Steve

logique

TDI
'96 Passat TDI / '03 Jetta TDI Wagon
Great stuff! Thanks Steve Addy and BigAndy for pinpointing the exact problem. I am now getting all the right numbers in VCDS. I will do a road test tomorrow but I'm sure the cruise will work.
I checked continuity at D/11 and it was very unstable. However, the wire was connected and seemed ok. Instead of trying to unpin and changing just that wire, I decided to swap the whole D green 12 pin connector harness. I still had the one from the TDI and they looked exactly the same. Before swapping, I plugged only the single green connector (D/11) and I got 12 volts with key ON. Swapping is a bit of a pain after the dash is installed and because of the whole spaghetti of wires but I got everything back together and it works. I can now declare the B4 VR6-TDI swap complete and successful!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Great stuff! Thanks Steve Addy and BigAndy for pinpointing the exact problem. I am now getting all the right numbers in VCDS. I will do a road test tomorrow but I'm sure the cruise will work.
I checked continuity at D/11 and it was very unstable. However, the wire was connected and seemed ok. Instead of trying to unpin and changing just that wire, I decided to swap the whole D green 12 pin connector harness. I still had the one from the TDI and they looked exactly the same. Before swapping, I plugged only the single green connector (D/11) and I got 12 volts with key ON. Swapping is a bit of a pain after the dash is installed and because of the whole spaghetti of wires but I got everything back together and it works. I can now declare the B4 VR6-TDI swap complete and successful!
That's awesome, I was hoping that this would resolve the problem.

I had a similar problem when I did my conversion, when the fuse box was hanging below the dash everything would work fine, but when I mounted it in the holders some things got very erratic. Come to find out a couple of the receptacles on the fuse box had corroded pins and when you would mount it in the holder you lost things. It took me several go rounds before I finally figured it out and went to the JY and bought a good used fuse box.

Steve