Cruise control error / exclamation point

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I read about other people having a similar issue. When I drive my 2010 JSW TDI at more than 3 mph the odometer disappears and shows an exclamation point with the cruise control symbol next to it, regardless of whether the CC switch is on or off. No other issues or lights. I replaced the turn signal stalk with the same part number, put everything back together - same problem.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? I don’t have OBD/VCDS, so unfortunately I can’t post a readout. Was thinking about getting a SWCU at the local U-Pull to switch it out, the contacts/pins where the turn signal stalk goes in look a little oxidized. Unless someone can point me in a different direction. Any help is greatly appreciated!

whawker

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI 6spd used to have '03 Jetta TDI wagon
I have the same problem, just occurred this last week. 2010 JSW TDI, cruise control was working on the highway, suddenly quit working (no noises or other symptoms), and now shows exclamation point on the multifunction display where CC info normally is shown. I have VCDS, but car is in a shop having the shift linkage repaired (lol separate issue, lost linkage to 1st, 2nd and Reverse).

I will run VCDS when the car is back, I'm thinking there will be some kind of code, since the computer shows the exclamation point. I would have thought the OP's replacing the stalk would fix it. Does this year/model still use vacuum lines and controls for CC??

Sounds like ThomasCo and I would both appreciate any advice!

Thanks

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
It’s the steering wheel control module that produces this error. I ended up getting VCDS and saw an intermittent signal issue with Cruise Control. Went to the junkyard and found the module revision that is in my JSW (the one ending in CD), replaced and coded it and no issues since.

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Thanks! I'll start getting on it!
Make sure to do an auto check and write down the exact part number for yours, as these modules are not (always) interchangeable. They come in like 20-30 different revisions depending on the original equipment of the vehicle, and finding the right one can be a needle-in-the-haystack operation unless you want to pay VW something to the tune of $500. Also make sure if you find the correct one to code it properly according to your equipment (i.e., auto tranny vs. manual, steering wheel controls etc.). It’s a super easy job with VCDS.

whawker

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI 6spd used to have '03 Jetta TDI wagon
An update as of this afternoon. I seem to have lucked out. The car went in the shop on Friday, the manual shift linkage had disassembled and I lost 1st, 2nd, and reverse gears, only 3rd thru 6th worked. Waited for some parts over the weekend, got the car back this afternoon, and amazingly, the cruise control returned to normal operation. I'm guessing there's a position sensor down there in the tranny or the linkage that was reporting a problem, the ECU decided to shut down cruise control as a safety measure, I'm thinking. With the linkage back, the ECU self-corrected.

So if you seen the Exclamation Point warning down where the cruise control info normally displays, which ThomasCo found as "intermittent", the problem may not necessarily be a fried steering control module, somehow find some expertise on sensors and/or linkage, have that checked out.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are no sensors anywhere on the transmission aside from the reverse light switch. The cluster displays the selected gear when the #1 clutch switch is NOT activated (so it knows your foot is not on the clutch pedal at all) and then does some quick math and compares wheel speed (supplied via the ABS module as an average of the four wheel speed sensors) and engine crankshaft speed, supplied by the Engine controller, and figures out what forward gear you are in.

The pins inside the Steering module where the turn signal stalk plugs in are very tiny, and can get a poor connection. I have opened those modules up and tried to solder them, but they are just too small. They are not really soldered to begin with, just a tight fit connection on the board. Kind of a cheap design, but such is the way with many modern electronics.

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
There are no sensors anywhere on the transmission aside from the reverse light switch. The cluster displays the selected gear when the #1 clutch switch is NOT activated (so it knows your foot is not on the clutch pedal at all) and then does some quick math and compares wheel speed (supplied via the ABS module as an average of the four wheel speed sensors) and engine crankshaft speed, supplied by the Engine controller, and figures out what forward gear you are in.

The pins inside the Steering module where the turn signal stalk plugs in are very tiny, and can get a poor connection. I have opened those modules up and tried to solder them, but they are just too small. They are not really soldered to begin with, just a tight fit connection on the board. Kind of a cheap design, but such is the way with many modern electronics.
Just to add to that, the tiny pins that oilhammer is talking about were all corroded on my SWCM. After I first replaced the turn signal stalk, the CC error was gone for a bit but came back shortly after. I am somewhat certain that cleaning these pins very carefully with a tiny steel brush or emery cloth would’ve solved the issue, but I was too lazy to give it a shot (after all, it’s quite a bit of work to get to the module and what if cleaning the pins wouldn’t have worked)?

Last edited: