CRUA Turbo upgrade

cpinde

TDI
05 VW Passat, 04 Jetta, 06 BRM Jetta, sold 15 Golf current
So I've figured out that my turbo is toast and as such it's time to upgrade. I'm fully deleted and am thinking I'll go with the xman CR190 hybrid mostly because it's water cooled and that should help me make heat in the winter, which is just about impossible now. Who else has used the XMAN CR190? How did you plumb in the water cooling? Any gotchas? What tuning did you go with? Did anyone do it without upgrading the HPFP, injectors, and higher fuel pressure regulator? Did you later upgrade the fueling?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I'm thinking you'll find very few people have done it all. Not a lot of hybrid/bigger turbo mod info around here that I've seen. Likely some of that is because these cars are just getting out of scandal mandated warranty for a lot of folks.

There also the limits on power potential resulting from designing for efficiency. I'm not sure I've even seen a post about an actual drop in turbo upgrade like what Kerma offers. It makes sense though, a tune and delete is where you're getting bang for the buck.

We (the community, not me in, CA) are looking forward to your impressions though 😬.

cpinde

TDI
I'm thinking you'll find very few people have done it all. Not a lot of hybrid/bigger turbo mod info around here that I've seen. Likely some of that is because these cars are just getting out of scandal mandated warranty for a lot of folks.

There also the limits on power potential resulting from designing for efficiency. I'm not sure I've even seen a post about an actual drop in turbo upgrade like what Kerma offers. It makes sense though, a tune and delete is where you're getting bang for the buck.

We (the community, not me in, CA) are looking forward to your impressions though 😬.
Yeah I searched with very few hits. It’s not cheap to make power with these. If I can get close to the power that my A6 TDI has with spending around $2500 then I’ll be happy. The problem is I’m sure I’ll get the itch and want to go beyond in 6 months. I think I should just go buy the RS6 Avant now and stop messing around. Haha

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
if you don't have heat in the winter you have other issues. my 15 golf never has heat issues, even post delete in north texas a few month ago it would get warm just idling as i cleaned snow off with temps 30-40 in the morning.

i am also looking to upgrade my turbo as well but there seems to be absolutely ZERO info on how to and what's needed to run that Hybrid 190. i talked to Xman who basically said "idk, gotta buy it and figure it our yourself man". I'm not looking for a 200 page step by step install thing by any means but a basic list of extra parts, what needs to be fabricated and where to tie in the coolant would be nice so i can gauge install effort.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I almost said something about considering a water cooled turbo upgrade as a way to get heat. I'm in SoCal so it doesn't really get cold but my better half would vehemently argue otherwise. If there was any problem with the getting heat in the "winter" she would let me know.

cpinde

TDI
if you don't have heat in the winter you have other issues. my 15 golf never has heat issues, even post delete in north texas a few month ago it would get warm just idling as i cleaned snow off with temps 30-40 in the morning.

i am also looking to upgrade my turbo as well but there seems to be absolutely ZERO info on how to and what's needed to run that Hybrid 190. i talked to Xman who basically said "idk, gotta buy it and figure it our yourself man". I'm not looking for a 200 page step by step install thing by any means but a basic list of extra parts, what needs to be fabricated and where to tie in the coolant would be nice so i can gauge install effort.
Coolant should be easy to tie into. The EGR cooler lines would be one place as those are tied together now. The swap should be easy and except for the coolant lines no need for instructions.

I don't know how you're making heat. When it's below 35 degrees the cooling system is so efficient that if I don't block off the front then I get no heat.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Coolant should be easy to tie into. The EGR cooler lines would be one place as those are tied together now. The swap should be easy and except for the coolant lines no need for instructions.

I don't know how you're making heat. When it's below 35 degrees the cooling system is so efficient that if I don't block off the front then I get no heat.
even before the delete my car always had heat no matter the temp, even sub 20* i get heat within 4-5 miles of driving mine on the highway im at 190