CRUA Timing Belt Kit

CGK

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI
Out of curiosity, I searched for a timing belt kit for my 15 Golf with the 2.0L CRUA engine.
I'm not close to needing one yet but wanted to see if anyone out there has done a TB change yet and, if so, is there a source for the TB Kit.
I can't find one anywhere and not sure if the engine is still too new for vendors to stock kits for it or if there is something else holding up the availability.
I hope it's not related to the emissions problem and VW is just going to allow these engines to die of belt failure instead of supplying replacement parts for them.
Anyone have ideas?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
At this time VW says the CRUA has a lifetime belt. What's "lifetime" has yet to be determined. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to initially say a component lasts the life of the car and subsequently introduce a change interval.

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
Lifetime? Timing belt is listed at 195000km (~120000 miles) in the maintenance interval document I have from erWin. Oddly enough, the USA maintenance interval is listed at 130000 miles.

The TB kit for these will be pretty 'fun' considering the number of TTY bolts to reach the belt...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Well there you go. When the engine was launched nearly two years ago they were saying lifetime. Guess they introduced an interval when I wasn't looking. Good to know.

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
I think the "lifetime" belt is the one driving the oil pump as it's submerged in the oil.

Any chance you'll include it as part of your CRUA kit? I'll probably be needing one in < 3 years XD

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We'll look into it. Right now parts are going to be all from the dealer, I suspect. Continental just came up with a NMS Passat CKRA kit a couple months ago.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The lifetime is the length of time before it dies.
Then you are at the end of it's lifetime.
Like lifetime sealed bearings they have now.

At the end of life of the timing belt (Oil pump drive belt, really) you are out of oil pressure just like with the lifetime hex shaft in the CBEA.

TTolentino

Gentlemen and ladies on the forum, I hope this question is not too off topic. I have a 2002 Jetta TDI with 135K miles on it. The timing belt was first replaced dutifully at 80K in 2010. We put only another 50K miles on it since then, but some 6 years now have passed since the initial replacement. This is a daily driver and has had no issues other than a leaking fuel pump which was replaced by the dealership this year. When the pump was replaced they would, I assume, inspect the timing belt and associated pulleys. Since nothing was mentioned in the invoice as to recommended maintenance, I assumed their inspection was okay as far as the timing belt. Should I consider changing the timing belt now or am I good for another 30K before bringing it in for a TB replacement? Thanks to all for your replies/recommendations.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Gentlemen and ladies on the forum, I hope this question is not too off topic. I have a 2002 Jetta TDI with 135K miles on it. The timing belt was first replaced dutifully at 80K in 2010. We put only another 50K miles on it since then, but some 6 years now have passed since the initial replacement. This is a daily driver and has had no issues other than a leaking fuel pump which was replaced by the dealership this year. When the pump was replaced they would, I assume, inspect the timing belt and associated pulleys. Since nothing was mentioned in the invoice as to recommended maintenance, I assumed their inspection was okay as far as the timing belt. Should I consider changing the timing belt now or am I good for another 30K before bringing it in for a TB replacement? Thanks to all for your replies/recommendations.
You would should post this in the mk4 sub section.
But im Not sure of the interval on these, but if I'm not mistaken most are good for 10 years. All depends on what kind of kit was used etc. Me personally if I didn't know what kind of kit was used and who did it, I would probably consider doing it.

Like I said, post this in the mk4 thread. You will get a lot of responses. Very knowledgeable folks on here regarding the ALH engines

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's been 6+ years. Change the belt and rollers. Don't assume the dealer did any due diligence on the belt or roller condition.

TTolentino

To Sandmansans & IndigoBlueWagon, thanks for your replies. I did think about the timing belt after the work was done on the pump, which could have saved a bit of money while the tech was in there. Hind sight is almost always 20-20, as in this case. Thanks, again.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Np. That's what we are all here for. We all know something someone else doesn't.

But just make sure that you post in the right sub section of the forum next time. It helps keeping the threads clean, relevant, easy to follow and search. I would say some of the most knowledgeable folks on tdi club post in the mk4 section, so all of your questions will find answers and you will find answers to questions you didn't know you had!

Regards.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

C C

TDI
GSW
It's been 6+ years. Change the belt and rollers. Don't assume the dealer did any due diligence on the belt or roller condition.
Agree. My "local" dealer required three attempts to diagnose and replace a defective seat belt assembly, then failed to rotate the tires and refill the DEF tank as part of the free 10k maintenance. Kiddos' sidewalk chalk marks on the rear tires immediately confirmed one and soon after the on-board diagnostics alerted me to the other. I seriously doubt my oil was actually changed.

Never assume anything, even if it's listed on the repair invoice and a video posted on YouTube.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
When the pump was replaced they would, I assume, inspect the timing belt and associated pulleys.
A very bad assumption to make. Unless there is a super obvious problem, you can tell nothing about the timing systems health with a visual inspection.

That is because a T/B almost never fails. What fails when you have a timing system failure is usually the tensioner, a roller, the water pump or the serpentine belt breaking and getting caught up between the T/B and the crank sprocket. The last reason may not apply to your 2002.

Last edited:

tdiDerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MkV Sedan; 2002 Jetta MkIV Sedan; 1999 Jetta MkIV Sedan
Has anyone done the TB job themselves? Or know where I can find a step by step? Need to do mine soon.
-Thanks --Derry

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Has anyone done the TB job themselves? Or know where I can find a step by step? Need to do mine soon.
-Thanks --Derry
If you are more of the monkey see monkey do type a found a couple videos on youtube from a channel called DIYdaly and GremcoGarage. The only thing I would note is to be cautious of pressure sensors inside the silver heat shield as they can break fairly easy. I myself didnt have to remove the adblue injector but I did remove the adblue feed line (careful with the clip) and coolants lines. Also, if you are going to remove the fuel lines using the connectors push them further onto the metal hose before trying to push the nipples in and again use caution. I forgot that it looks like a website called diesel geek sells a timing kit and if I recall they provide a how to video but I haven't seen it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What's the reason for some directions to unbolt the cam and HPFP sprocket?

To adjust for slop of the new belt or make it not need exact number of teeth between crank and cam?

greenthumb

TDI
2015 GSW TDI
-Thanks --Derry
I did mine with the help of two YouTube videos. One was made by someone in the UK, another by someone in the US. It isn't that difficult.
Here are the links to both videos:
2.0 TDI Timing belt & water pump replacement - MK7 VW Golf CRBC - YouTube
2015 TDI Timingbelt
What's the reason for some directions to unbolt the cam and HPFP sprocket?

To adjust for slop of the new belt or make it not need exact number of teeth between crank and cam?
Not sure. Personally I didn't need to unbolt any of the two.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
What is the correct torque specs for the engine mount bolts that need to be replaced? got some controversial info from the internet
-engine bracket to engine block?
-engine mount to engine bracket?
-engine mount to body?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
40Nm+90° for the mount to body
60Nm+90° for the mount to bracket (I've seen the standard 100Nm/74ft.lb. for this elsewhere, though)
Bracket to engine block: 40Nm+180° (in 3 stages AND in specific sequence (see second image))

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
40Nm+90° for the mount to body
60Nm+90° for the mount to bracket (I've seen the standard 100Nm/74ft.lb. for this elsewhere, though)
Bracket to engine block: 40Nm+180° (in 3 stages AND in specific sequence (see second image))
thank you Nuje
I was not sure about the 180 degree additional turn for the mount bracket 3 long bolts, seems like very easy to strip the threads in the block, some YouTube videos don't show the additional 180 deg, BTW is the block aluminum or cast iron?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It's gray cast iron, an alloy of cast iron and flake graphite. Per the self study.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
thank you Nuje
I was not sure about the 180 degree additional turn for the mount bracket 3 long bolts, seems like very easy to strip the threads in the block, some YouTube videos don't show the additional 180 deg, BTW is the block aluminum or cast iron?
From having done a few CJAA timing belts, which have that same sequencing and torque spec., that extra 180° is entirely do-able. Doesn't feel like "too much".
(Strictly postulating here, but that specified sequence of counter-clockwise from top-left had me curious as to why. Then I remembered that there was an issue with the Mk4 cars having a not-uncommon occruance where that top-left bolt would snap off a piece of the cast iron, leaving you with a very expensive boat anchor. But also leading to the ingenious "van gogh" repair kit. Maybe the engineers figured a way to mitigate that by anchoring that one first. 🤔)

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
So while doing the TB and cleaning the mess after the water pump removal I accidently knock the pin out of the fuel pump ( the belt was removed at this point), it obviously sprung back or forth not sure where, I believe it went forward since I had to rotate it back a little to align with the slot. I re-pinned it back in this position ( see pic) with the EHT facing up, can the fuel pump be rotated back a little or only forward? does it look good or do I have to worry about something now? I haven't put the TB yet.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Don't worry about the pump, that is no VE.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry guys, one more question. I completed the TB and set the tensioner pointer slightly to the right ( arrow touching the right side of the window) per instruction, but after rotating the engine 2x by hand i see that the pointer has moved slightly to the left , engine is cold. So do I re-pin the engine and readjust the tensioner or leave it alove? If I need to readjust the tensioner can I use the same nut or get the new one? or the new tensioner? The nut was new and I only rotated the engine by hand. I ve done a lot of ALH and BEW TBs never had this issue only this time on CRUA