Cross-Ontario trip, where to fill up and more ?s

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
Yeah, I just didn't feel like searching.

Heading from Michigan to Syracuse NY (crossing borders at Port Huron and Niagara Falls) this coming Saturday (the 12th) and then back again on wednesday (the 16th). I'll need to fill up either in Syracuse or somewhere along the way, where's the best diesel? Any good BioD locations?

I also want to pick up some PC Duron oil. Can I get it basically anywhere? Do I have to declare it at the border? I'll be travelling with two Chinese citizens with Canadian travel visas, think that'll be a problem?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
There's supposedly a Noco fuelling station somewhere in Buffalo that sells B20. Sorry I don't have any other details than that. Otherwise, I don't think there's much benefit of tanking up in Canada because of the price.

Do a Google search for Beowolf's state-by-state premium Diesel directory to help you find good Diesel in NY-state. BP or Amoco would be your best bets.

Edit: if you and your passengers have all your documents, you may just be asked to go to immigration at the Canadian side of the border for the formality of having their passports stamped. I'd be more worried about getting back into the U.S.

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
Regarding PC oil, place I get mine from in London is a depot, and closed on weekends. It's Davis & McCauley Fuels @ 660 Clarke Rd. That's about 20 minutes off the 401.
They're open 8-5, but ya might want to call ahead like this wk to make sure they'll have what you want, they don't stock loads of it. (519) 453-6960, 1-800-465-6347.
It's not available all over the place, so I'm not sure where else you could just stop by & pick it up.
IIRC, it's ~CDN$24/4L in cases, a little more per litre in the 12x1L cases.

My dad just tried to get some from the dealer in Leamington, and the guy wouldn't even talk to him since he didn't have a farm account.
Been meaning to send a nasty email to Petro Canada about that actually

As for declaring, I would think you'd have to declare it, but no idea if you'd have to pay anything. Bringing goods into Canada, they typically let us go without paying if we're under $100 worth of anything except tobacco or alcohol.

04Wagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004.5 Jetta Wagon 5spd Tip, Black Leather on Spice Red.
Since you are travelling through Port Huron and then into Sarnia ( Home Of Sunoco in Canada ) you may want to fill with Sunoco Gold?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Surprisingly, in my many visits to and through Sarnia, I have found that town to have the most expensive fuel in Southwestern Ontario, even though it's home to no less than two major refineries.

But, yeah, if you must tank up in Canada, Sunoco Gold and Shell Ultra are considered the best. Husky, Ultramar and Irving (Fifth Wheel Truck Stops) are also sold in truck stops just off highway 401 along the London/Woodstock corridor and have decent fuel and high-volume turnover. Avoid the flying J though.

In Marysville, MI just south of Port Huron at the junction of I69 and I94 is a Marathon station (formerly an Amoco) that -- as of the last time I patroned there some months ago -- dispenses Premier Diesel fuel. You have to go south on I-94 from I69 though to get to the exit for the most direct route to this station, or you'll be searching as I was...

As for oil, consider getting some 4L jugs of Esso XD-3 Extra 0W-40, which is a Group-IV CI-4 Diesel oil that sells for less than $22 CDN plus taxes at most Walmart stores. There is a Walmart not far off the 401 highway in London (exit at Wellington Road) and find White Oaks Mall about 2-3 miles into town from the highway right on Wellington Rd on the left-hand side.

MWM

Veteran Member
TDI
Variant, 2003, Reflex Silver
Re: Cross-Ontario trip, where to fill up and more

The Petro-Can depots (warehouses) are closed on weekends, so that option is out.

You will probably find the Duron Synthetic 5w-40 at the Petro-Canada truck stops. There aren't that many, so look up the locations on the Petro-Can web site...
http://www.petro-canada.ca/eng/locations/7552.htm

...and call ahead to verify. Don't waste your time looking at the regular gas stations as they don't carry it.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
I'll be travelling with two Chinese citizens with Canadian travel visas, think that'll be a problem?
Ok, so that wasn't such a good idea. Now they're stuck in Canada, the US wouldn't let 'em back in.

(passport too close to expiration)