Creaking sound - trying to identify it....

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
My '03 has a significant creaking on acceleration & deceleration, most noticeable at lower speeds (come to think of it, I'm not bothered by it at higher speeds, so it may not be there - dunno). I'm fairly certain that it's coming from the left front side. I've pulled that wheel off and checked all bolts relating to suspension. Sway bar bushings look good and all other suspension compenents were replaced not terribly long ago. The sound DOES NOT occur with side to side motion like when I wiggle the steering wheel to get it rocking side to side.

Here's a clip I recorded at low speed, getting on and off the pedal slightly. Hopefully it will be apparent to someone out there what it is. It's bugging me to no end.

Any tips on how to manipulate the car with it not moving to locate the creak would be greatly appreciated as well.

Edit: Posting this spurred a thought that I should just put it in gear and rock it back and forth. Sure enough, it creaked loudly. I should be able to locate it tomorrow in the daylight.

Last edited:

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Sounds like a but dial. Check lower control arm ball joint bolts. I wont admit to it but may have snafued an in the dark driveway repair. One bolt was in anyway.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Door hinges? Do they need to be lubricated? Mine creaked even with the door closed. Took a long time to find the culprit.

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
I removed the skid plate and the creaking disappeared. Now to figure out why there's such flexing between the mount points for this plate....

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I removed the skid plate and the creaking disappeared. Now to figure out why there's such flexing between the mount points for this plate....
I have had that happen, just loosening and re-tightening the bolts fixed it. I reached under and did it with wheels on the ground, not sure if that made the difference.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Speaking of which, does anyone have an idea on what would make a good replacement for those poly washers after one or more are inevitably lost, or so malformed as to be less than useful?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Speaking of which, does anyone have an idea on what would make a good replacement for those poly washers after one or more are inevitably lost, or so malformed as to be less than useful?
Got some poly pipe and a hole saw?