Crazy Brake Life on the MK7

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I heard that the MK7 brakes have a long life, but it didn't really register with me until today. I picked up my car after having a tire balancing and alignment to correct some vibration, and I asked the service advisor if they checked my brakes. He gave me the measurement (which I forgot) and said they're practically brand new still. I said that's insane because I have 104k miles on the clock. He said there's no way those are the stock brakes, but I reassured him. I don't baby my car or brakes anymore, and overall I'd consider myself an average driver, so I'm very surprised that they wouldn't have significant wear by now. Kudos to VW!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Hi. Welcome to a 15 years ago. Old news. :p Nothing has changed.

Some of my customers have gone nearly 300k miles on original brakes. My 2004 Passat went 200k, and they were not even completely worn out. Proper driving habits, lots of highway miles, etc. will allow them a very long service life.

In your neck of the woods, it is far more likely the brake pads will need to be serviced from the effects of road salt long before the linings are actually worn out.

What is somewhat disturbing to me is that an automotive professional didn't know this about your car, and seemed shocked. Clearly he/she doesn't know Volkswagens very well.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Our Touareg which weighs 5000 lbs and supposedly eats brakes went 100k on the fronts and over 140k on the rears.

Pretty sure my MK4 was on original front brakes at 190k miles when I sold it. That car goes through rears more quickly.

VW seems to have brakes pretty well figured out.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My 2000 beetle went through the rear rotors around 25k miles. Just after having it serviced at the VW garage. Last time they saw that car. Anyway, learned my lesson and started keeping a closer eye on the brakes. I replaced the fronts around 130k because I couldn't believe that they were still good. Traded the car around 150k. One set of front brakes and IIRC, three sets on the back. My 2010 JSW has about 140k on it right now and the brakes are still good. It's due for an oil change, so I'll get an update on "how good" at that time.

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
The brakes pads on my 2016 wagon only last 15,000 miles, are you sure you are using them? I also only average 32 mpg so maybe it's the driver more than the car?

Last edited:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I assume they last that long with frequent services. Should they be done annually?

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Pads are amazingly long lasting, on my car I just changed the front pads at around 216K mileage, and as of now I am over 220K yet the original rear brake pads still don't seem to require changing them any time soon.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The brakes pads on my 2016 wagon only last 15,000 miles, are you sure you are using them? I also only average 32 mpg so maybe it's the driver more than the car?
No crumples in the front end, so I know she's not using other cars to slow down. :D

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
No crumples in the front end, so I know she's not using other cars to slow down. :D
Ha! When I was a 16 year old runaway in the 80’s I drove a Datsun 510 from San Francisco to Miami with grinding brakes and no clutch after New Mexico, at one point the side mirror wobbled on one screw for hours before I fell off..

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
brake pad manufacturers a very secretive about what goes into linings. VW uses trw as far as I know and the last set I put on had copper in them.

Geist296

TDI
2015 GSW SEL DSG White with Quartz/Black interior
I am at 95k and just had my 100k done today because taking her to Wookies thursday...Mechanic said at 6mm plenty of pad life left...I think it is awesome, since my stoptech rotors are on back order

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
My rear rotors have shown no measurable decrease in thickness over 18,346 miles.
My front rotors are both 0.06mm thinner over 18,346 miles.
My rear pads are a mean of 0.33mm thinner over 18,346 miles.
My front pads are a mean of 1.03mm thinner over 18,346 miles.
85% of my driving is highway/freeway.
I practice coasting up to stops to minimize brake use and maximize fuel mileage.
At this rate, the rear rotors should last forever, the front rotors should last 875,895 total miles, the rear pads should last 344,000 total miles, and the front pads should last 153,070 total miles.

Last edited:

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Does anyone know why this is? It seems like a fact for all versions of the Rabbit/Golf, I have a friend with an MK1 Rabbit that has lots of pad thickness left at 350k miles. At 200k my MKIV had about 50% left, but I replaced them anyway. Other European cars I've owned (e.g. Volvos) seem to use more or less the same brake component manufacturers, and also have a higher percentage of weight in the rear (which should increase pad life), yet the brakes last a tiny fraction of the time.

Because this is mysterious to me, I am always afraid that upgrading the brakes with "better" pads or rotors could break the "magic formula," and revert the car to normal car brake lifespan... but I upgrade anyway so I can tow a trailer in the mountains without stress.

Last edited:

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
Does anyone know why this is? It seems like a fact for all versions of the Rabbit/Golf, I have a friend with an MK1 Rabbit that has lots of pad thickness left at 350k miles. At 200k my MKIV had about 50% left, but I replaced them anyway. Other European cars I've owned (e.g. Volvos) seem to use more or less the same brake component manufacturers, and also have a higher percentage of weight in the rear (which should increase pad life), yet the brakes last a tiny fraction of the time.

Because this is mysterious to me, I am always afraid that upgrading the brakes with "better" pads or rotors could break the "magic formula," and revert the car to normal car brake lifespan... but I upgrade anyway so I can tow a trailer in the mountains without stress.
It's hypermiling by TDI owners, not super life brakes. I had a MK7 Golf R and got 15-20k out of brake pads, the same I get out of my TDI wagon. I also got 15-20k on my NA miata and and e46 M3.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They're just good quality brakes. I'm nearly completely incapable of hypermiling, and my Golfs brakes lasted twice as long as previous vehicles. Rear pads at 100k, front pads at 130k, and all factory rotors in place when I sold it at 175k.