Crankshaft won’t turn after transmission install

BTING

TDI
2002 Jetta, 2011 Jetta Sportwagen
To start off with I’m not a mechanic by any means. I try to save myself some money and enjoy fixing things myself if I can. I have diagnosed and done several repairs to my 2002 Jetta by referencing the Threads on this forum and thanks everyone involved for the knowledge here.

So I recently removed my transmission from my 2002 Jetta (automatic) to replace the rear main seal. After reinstalling the transmission I cannot get the crankshaft to turn to install the bolts for the torque converter. I am using a 1/2 breaker on the crankshaft bolt and won’t budge it at all either way. I have read to only go clockwise but tried both to see if it would move at all. I could turn the torque converter on the crankshaft before I bolted the transmission back up. Am I missing something with the alignment of the shaft? Any help is appreciated

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Not trying to be an ass, but I'm surprised you didn't swap to a 02J. I did this recently on my 2003 Jetta, because I hate the 01M, and dealing with that torque converter is a PITA.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
To start off with I’m not a mechanic by any means. I try to save myself some money and enjoy fixing things myself if I can. I have diagnosed and done several repairs to my 2002 Jetta by referencing the Threads on this forum and thanks everyone involved for the knowledge here.

So I recently removed my transmission from my 2002 Jetta (automatic) to replace the rear main seal. After reinstalling the transmission I cannot get the crankshaft to turn to install the bolts for the torque converter. I am using a 1/2 breaker on the crankshaft bolt and won’t budge it at all either way. I have read to only go clockwise but tried both to see if it would move at all. I could turn the torque converter on the crankshaft before I bolted the transmission back up. Am I missing something with the alignment of the shaft? Any help is appreciated
I'm guessing something is not lined up right. Are the torque converter studs lined up with the holes?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to take the trans back out, and order a new drive plate and torque converter. You ruined them both. You need to line the STUDS up with the holes in the drive plate as you go back together.

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta sedan 2002 Jetta wagon
I have a used driveplate i can sell you. I might have the TC too id have to see if it threw it away or not. Send a PM for further details if interested

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
When you re-install again and you are sure you have the studs starting in the holes (as mentioned) -slowly- start to snug the bell housing bolts.
You should be able to wiggle the studs a small amount.
As you keep tightening keep checking the studs still move a bit.

If you removed the torque converter from the trans it may not be all the way into the trans.
Try spinning the converter and and wiggling it while pushing it back into the trans.

I use to have the trans point up so the converter drops down into it then spinning it.
Makes a pleasurable klick when it drops all the way in. :)

Don't know how many openings you have now so watch for fluid leaks if you flip the trans up.
The converter may also drain out.
Have a bucket handy.

BTING

TDI
Not trying to be an ass, but I'm surprised you didn't swap to a 02J. I did this recently on my 2003 Jetta, because I hate the 01M, and dealing with that torque converter is a PITA.
Not really wanting to put anymore money into this guy then I have to. I moved on to a 2011 sportwagen and plan on getting rid of this one. If I can’t get what I want out of it i would think about it

BTING

TDI
The torque converter studs are aligned through the drive plate. I even started one before I tightened down the bell housing bolts but thinking about it I’m wondering about the dust plate or whatever the metal gasket is in between the the engine and transmission. It had some dings to it I straightened up and thought would be fine once it was snugged down.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The plate having a few dings won't be an issue. When you tightened the bell housing bolts, was the transmission fully against the engine block, or did you use the bolts to pull the trans to the engine?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You may have bound something up then. Been there. Back it out and see if it bars over then.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Not really wanting to put anymore money into this guy then I have to. I moved on to a 2011 sportwagen and plan on getting rid of this one. If I can’t get what I want out of it i would think about it
Fair enough. And here, I'm in the opposite situation of you, trying to get rid of my 2010 Sportwagen, mostly because it has a DSG instead of a 02Q.

BTING

TDI
Fair enough. And here, I'm in the opposite situation of you, trying to get rid of my 2010 Sportwagen, mostly because it has a DSG instead of a 02Q.
Don’t get me wrong I like my 2002 better but my younger years tore the hell out it. It is all around a wreck interior and exterior

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Well, do what I do - get interior parts here and there from the junkyard that are nicer. The leather seats from my $300 2003 ALH went into my 2004 Golf, and I've been adding in trim pieces here and there from junkyards., All I need left are the plastic trim underneath the steering wheel (everything else is silver, when it was originally black).