Cranks faster than normal and no start

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
[RESOLVED] Cranks faster than normal and no start

Yesterday I came back from work and parked my car in the driveway, the engine was still running perfectly (each time I park the car, I listen to the noise of the engine at idle to notice if any new noise appeared; this time everything was OK). So I turned off the engine and stepped out of the car.
Like 2-3 minutes after entering the house, my GF told me she wanted me to drive her somewhere, so we both stepped into the car, I cranked the engine and I noticed the cranking was faster than usual and the engine was not starting. After 3 crank tries, still no start. ( my gf has always hated my TDI since i bought it; it stinks, its noisy, you know..., this moment surely didnt helped to gain my gf confidence towards my tdi :( )
I knew my timing belt is overdue but I wanted to wait until the spring to get it changed. I thought maybe the faster cranking means the timing belt broke and flywheel is spinning freely. I started to freak out, it was dark outside so I had to wait until next morning to check the condition of the TB.
So I checked the TB this morning and it's still on tight!
I also checked the antishudder valve was not stuck, there is fuel in the line and oil level is ok. Also when I was cranking, the RPM was showing ~200.
I havent tried again to crank the car, what should I do now? I have VCDS, ill check today if any codes are stored.

Last edited:

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
sounds a tiny bit like what is happening to my car except mine starts... but cranking time is really long. how long did you crank the engine? I crank mine far longer than I have ever done for a gas engine and longer than I would in warm or hot weather.

Was the glow plug cycle really long? On mine I have taken to running 1.5 cycles of the glow plug light due to hard starting.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Check the anti shudder valve. When they stick closed they choke off the air and engine will crank faster. It may be open on its own by now, though.

Look for a new girlfriend, this one tells her friends that you stink and are noisy.....:D

Bill

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Relay 109? Does the GP light indicator come on for a second or so when you turn the key to ON?
TB is tight, but is it in time and is the crank sprocket still turning the cam and IP sprockets?
Often the teeth strip off the belt around the crank sprocket and its pretty tough to see anything from above.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Try starting it. Maybe the ASV was stuck closed last night and it popped open by the time you looked at it this morning.

Datalore

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI- SOLD, 2000 VW Beetle ALH- SOLD, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE DSG
Sounds like Relay 109. When my GFs went bad, the car turned over faster than normal but didn't have any hint of ignition. One of the symptoms is the glow plug light will not come on at all when the ignition is turned to the "ON" position.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Relay 109 will have nothing to do with the speed of the engine cranking.

Try cranking it while watching the timing belt.

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Try starting it. Maybe the ASV was stuck closed last night and it popped open by the time you looked at it this morning.
I took off the TB cover today and asked my GF to look at the belt while I crank the engine, and it fired right away!! She was like.. wth..

Maybe the ASV was stuck and unstucked during the night :eek:

Thanks guys, Im on the road again!!!!!