Cranks but won’t fire computer is good

MiTDIguy

TDI
2001 jetta 1.9 ALH
I changed my water pump last weekend and when I put it all back together it wouldn’t fire. Everything is at tdc but won’t fire all lights on dash are working.

PrintSmith

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - RIP June 2016 - 470,000 on clock. 2004 Jetta TDI Sport new to me June 2016
Diesels need two things to run - air and fuel. If you are sure your timing is correct, then you are not getting fuel to the injectors, your injector pump isn't timed correctly (my guess), your anti-shudder valve is closed (2nd choice) or your turbo is seized.

I'm thinking its injection pump timing because you were in there to install the water pump and that's most likely what was disturbed in the process. Good luck!

MiTDIguy

TDI
2001 jetta 1.9 ALH
Cam shaft and crank are both on tdc and I just made sure my injection pump is as well. Can the injection pump be so far out it won’t fire

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If an ALH pump can be pinned (in the right hole) it should be close enough.

Did you remove the fuel filter to get at the belt?

Loosen an injector line to see if you're getting fuel?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Lock tools for the cam and injection pump?

Sucker hole for the IP?

Diesel need THREE things to run: air, heat and fuel AT THE RIGHT TIME.

MiTDIguy

TDI
2001 jetta 1.9 ALH
If an ALH pump can be pinned (in the right hole) it should be close enough.

Did you remove the fuel filter to get at the belt?

Loosen an injector line to see if you're getting fuel?
I did remove the fuel lines from the fuel filter. I have cracked the injectors and have fuel at all. There is a little air in the fuel line

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
What they are saying is did you lock your injection pump with the special tool or a drill bit? If you did not than your injection timing is off and the car will not start. It needs to be in a very small window to actually start the car.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/a...acement-vw-jetta-tdi-golf-beetle-1998-2003-2/

Check this out, on the 10-15 picture is where you lock the cam. If you did lock the cam than your air shut off valve is shut when you are cranking and the engine isnot getting any air. But check this out first.

MiTDIguy

TDI
2001 jetta 1.9 ALH
What they are saying is did you lock your injection pump with the special tool or a drill bit? If you did not than your injection timing is off and the car will not start. It needs to be in a very small window to actually start the car.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/a...acement-vw-jetta-tdi-golf-beetle-1998-2003-2/

Check this out, on the 10-15 picture is where you lock the cam. If you did lock the cam than your air shut off valve is shut when you are cranking and the engine isnot getting any air. But check this out first.
Ok checked the link out and have just now put everything thing back to tdc cam shaft locking plate is in place injection pump locking pin is in place. If the cam shaft is locked means my air shut off valve is shut?

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I got it started now I just need to find tune with vag-com which I don’t have
So what was the problem? Some folks here have tried to help you with very little information given so the least you could do is let people know what the resolution was.:confused:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If your cranking it and you have the 3rd injector hose cracked open to prime it and no fuel is coming out, 2 things.
A fuel shut off silonoid
B there is a relay way up under the dash, i dont remember the number but its grey and its the relay for that solenoid, Wiggle it aggressively. I have this issue with this relay when it sits more than a month at a time. i guess its from rusted out floor boards letting in constant moisture from the heat of the day and it getting corroded. CHECK THAT RELAY.

Just realized post above this one. 109!

Just take a volt meter to that solenoid and if its not getting power than its the relay or maybe a fuse. my hunch is on that relay

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
So what was the problem? Some folks here have tried to help you with very little information given so the least you could do is let people know what the resolution was.:confused:
Evidently he tweaked the IP until he found a setting were it would start. Nothing confusing there..........

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I guess you did not have the injection pump in lock position. Well good thing it's running now. Just wanna ask you did you also replace the belt and idlers/tensioner while you had everything apart?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I get an itchy feeling reading threads like this. :(
Yep. It's times like this I appreciate IATN where you get bugged to post the fix and if you don't, you start losing posting privileges. Of course there, you can only post one reply to your original help request which limits the conversation and is why I usually use the forums.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Don't you just love the explanation.

"I got what I want. You guys can go fish now..."

HOW ABOUT POSTING YOUR RESOLUTION??

MiTDIguy

TDI
2001 jetta 1.9 ALH
Don't you just love the explanation.

"I got what I want. You guys can go fish now..."

HOW ABOUT POSTING YOUR RESOLUTION??
I apologize that I didn’t share the resolution. I took everything back apart and put it back to top dead center. Upon doing this I found that the injection pump was about 130° out of time. After placing that in true TDC and making sure nothing else came out of TDC I put it all back together crossed my fingers and cranked. It sputtered a little bit like it was Still a touch out of time So I advanced the pump and it fired right up. Again I apologize for not sharing what the solution was I am new to using forums And not to well-versed in all the proper etiquette

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Learn by your OR other's mistakes. Kind of the premise of just about all community forums. We SHARE so we can all LEARN, save others from added pain and expense.

130 degrees wasn't even close. Following procedures would never get you this far off.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
MiTDIguy, thank you for posting your resolution. There is a spot where the pin can go in and look like it in the correct spot, but it is not. I am glad you figured out the solution to your issue. Since the TDC pins lined up and she did not want to start, in my experience I have had he same issue; I advanced the pump timing a bit and she lit right up. Welcome to TDIClub, there are hundreds of great members here that are always wiling to help a "fellow TDI-er" get their vehicle back on the road. Sometimes we don't quite understand the colloquialisms of different regions of the country, and so being unfamiliar we may misinterpret something to be an insult that was meant the complete opposite.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I just had a 4th grade boy tell me a "Your Mama" joke, he said, "Your Mama so fat, when she sat on a rainbow she made Skittles."

MiTDIguy

TDI
2001 jetta 1.9 ALH
Learn by your OR other's mistakes. Kind of the premise of just about all community forums. We SHARE so we can all LEARN, save others from added pain and expense.

130 degrees wasn't even close. Following procedures would never get you this far off.
Come to find out I had pinned in one of the false holes and later made a few more mistakes trying to achieve my goal. But in the end I realized. my thanks to the help from the wonderful people on here telling me to check timing again and make sure I wasn’t in false holes.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I did my first TB I employed the help of a friend to look over my shoulder and go over every step (procedures printed out). I'd read the procedures many time before even picking up a wrench. I too ran into a couple of issues (one that I'm still keeping my fingers cross on- I'm about 45k miles now, so I think I'm likely out of the woods). Guarantee that the next TB job will be a heck of a lot easier! (it was for me)

Next best feeling from getting one's own things repaired correctly is in helping others to do the same. Why we're all here...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I hear ya, but really, If I do it, it damn well better be right, if it isn't I have no one to blame but me. It's kinda funny sometimes. When someone screws up, they will start playing the blame game instead of figuring out what They did wrong.

Helping someone attain a realistic level of awareness and attention to detail on their car is extremely satisfying and can get you a little bit of respect.:cool:

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^ I agree. Always the first thing I think of when something goes wrong is what I did wrong. Thinking in this way forces me to thinking from the "center" and going out. With few exceptions I will not let anyone else work on a car that my wife will drive.