Crank but no start, No fuel?

BC Modify

TDI
1.9 1.6
Hi, I'm brand new on this thread. I have a problem. I installed a replacement engine into the car. Typically cranks perfectly but doesn't start. I decided to prime the fuel by taking out the glow plugs. Turns out theres no puffs of diesel mist at all off any holes. I took off the fuel filter and put pieces of brake pipes on the hoses to bypass the filter. So I tested the fuel flow. I shoved one of the pipes into the bottle. There is fuel flowing from the inlet pipe the bottle filled up, then I connected that up to the other pipe that leads to the inlet part of the tandem pump. I disconnected the return pipe and theres fuel flowing from the return pipe too. The lift pump is making working sounds. This seems to me that the injectors arnt playing ball or would it be a tandem pump fault? I plugged in the vcds there are no DTC's whatso ever except radio. no warning lights when cranking. the engine is not getting fuel injected. What might be the problem? will I reset the injector rockers? the belt is new and the tools slot straight into the holes and tentioned bang on centre. crank and cam sensor is on and vcds would have picked up those problems otherwise. I haven't checked the fuel relay and not sure which one is it. I checked injector connector plugs nothing loose. the car doesnt seem to know there is a problem. any ideas?

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
Taking out glow plugs for priming your car is not the way to go.
However if your leaning towards trying to prime the car.
There still might be air and bubbles circulating around the high pressure side of the fuel system.
Or, your high pressure fuel pump is not putting out as high as it should.
No codes on VCDS, should tell me that this may be fuel related, and the amount of fuel related parts you opened and disconnected from has caused bubbles within the fuel system specially in the fuel filter housing when you put tubes in to bypass the filter.

Your high or low pressure pump may have failed as well. (Worse case scenario)
As far as i know, there are 3 pumps on my 2009 Jetta TDI, yours might be the same or different.

Really there is not any information about
- Engine Type
- Car Model
- Both Car and Engine Year

It would be helpful if you could provide some this information and possibly some pictures of engine bay with new engine, some photos of parts you may have messed with and trouble shooted as well.

I have not messed with VCDS before, but im sure with the type of access you would have with VW ECM's you could be able to monitor current fuel pressure when trying to turn engine over. You can also activate fuel prime cycle commands for the high pressure pumps without having to start the engine.

I would use VCDS and run the high pressure fuel prime test a couple or few times with everything connected as should (This includes your glow plugs and fuel filter as well) Then i would try to start the engine after tests complete & VCDS is displaying fuel line pressures.

Update: Find the fuel relay, test and check that as well with a volt meter.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
you should not have to prime or worry about air bubbles on a tandem pump engine. Or crack the injector lines like an ALH. Look elsewhere ie timing, hp pump function, ecu connections,etc. Did the car sit long between running? Maybe the lift pump isn't working.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
you lost high side pressure, add another battery then crank 5 seconds, rest 5 seconds till it starts, it may take 10, 12 cycles

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
Reading what the OP says he can hear the pump in the fuel tank, so by cycling the ignition the fuel will be pushed through the tandem pump into the head. I will assume you have the fuel pipes the correct way around, feed in the top, return at the bottom of the tandem pump. Just because the crank sensor does not show a fault in vag-com it does not mean it's ok, this stopped my car from starting and I swapped everything else before I changed that sensor ! As your old engine was running I'd swap that over just to eliminate it, if you have not touched the injectors they won't need adjusting.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Lift pump running doesn't tell you much. It could be restricted or faulty and still make noise. I like afarfallas' suggestion. maybe the injectors on the "new" engine are frozen.