Crackling noise from rear speakers

joncfinney

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi alh
There is a crackling noise coming from the rear passenger side speakers/door area. It happens every when the volume on the head unit is all the way down or music is playing. It’s intermittent. I have noticed that when I hit the steering wheel it comes on and off randomly?
Anyone have this issue ever and have a fix?
03 Jetta tdi

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Does your car have the Monsoon system?

These cars are getting old enough that capacitor failures in the audio systems are going to start happening. But, if you can smack the dash and the noise goes away it might just be a connection / grounding issue. I'd suggest disconnecting, and reconnecting the plugs on the back of the radio first.

-J

joncfinney

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi alh
Does your car have the Monsoon system?

These cars are getting old enough that capacitor failures in the audio systems are going to start happening. But, if you can smack the dash and the noise goes away it might just be a connection / grounding issue. I'd suggest disconnecting, and reconnecting the plugs on the back of the radio first.

-J
Yes when I hit the dash it stops momentarily. I will try to pull the head unit out and check the connections in the back

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Get a can of plastic friendly contact cleaner, and spray into every gap and crack.
A good bath of MAF cleaner got my cruise control working again.

yeeet

TDI
golf mk4 110
Even though it's not the issue that you're having it wouldn't hurt to take the door card off (5min job) and see how the speaker looks. I recently bought 4 new speakers and upon taking the stock ones off, they were ALL blown, but surprisingly still played ok as long as I didn't abuse the volume knob

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I changed all 4 speakers shortly after I installed my Kenwood.
One rear speaker was blown after the car was at the dealer for some warranty issue.
I mentioned the reception was poor and in some areas I had no reception.
Don't know what the service manager wrote but the tech took it as no volume.
Finally found a pare in Best Buy clearance and bought them.
Put them in the back doors and immediately noticed the improvement.
Took a while before I installed the Kenwood and replaced the front speakers.
Also replaced the VW tissue paper wires with real 16 gauge (iIrc) wires direct radio to the speakers.
Yanked the amp in the back.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
My crackling stopped as well as all sound. Amp still powered, head unit still works, just no sound. Working on sending the amp out for an overhaul. Fortunately that's still possible. I got quoted over $1400 for everything wonneber did, speakers, amp, Kenwood head unit. Original one worked great for me.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
YIKES!!!
I didn't pay close to that amount.
You have to look in Best Buy clearance now and then.
I do see car radios now & then.
Could try bestbuy.com and search for car radio in clearance.

joncfinney

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi alh
I think i found the issue. When i push on the facplate to the headunit the noise comes and goes when i push in different places. I took the facepiece off and all the noise went away. reattached it and it came back. So it is the connection between the faceplate and the radio part.
now to see if i can get the connections to connect better or maybe i can get a new faceplate?