cracked block or head?

zukvw

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle, 04 jetta pd
ok, so i bought this car that i prolly never should have(hind sights always 20/20)...its a 2003 jetta tdi, the coolant was filled with water only, i found this out when i got home. i live in colorado, also for some reason the heater core was bypassed (worry bout that later)...so i drained all the water out left lines open incase i missed some. now after have a few freezes, it won t start.. the compression in (1 and 2 hold fine at 450psi)cylinder 3 and 4 build to 450psi then it leaks off.. what do i do now, pull the head, could the block be cracked, blown head or head gasket, what should i expect..i dont see any freeze plugs. any help appreciated

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Where did you drain from? If you pulled hose off t-stat housing, that should have drained enough so water could expand in a freeze.

If comp hits 450 at all, that is good. Bleeding off sounds like a leak in your tester. If comp was bad, it not hit 450 at all.

No start does not sound like it is caused by the freeze. Maybe you have air in IP or other typical no start causes.

zukvw

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle, 04 jetta pd
i drained the radiator, and also pulled a couple of the hoses that connect to the head next to # 4 cylinder. i thought for sure i would be ok, but now it wont start. not sure whay tester would work on 1 and 2, then leak on 3 and 4. but i will test again tomorrow, they di build to 450psi, then slowy leak down??

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Usually a leak down indicates either a ring or valve issue - gurus jump in here. If it was a block or head gasket you *should* see water in the oil or oil in the antifreeze if it's a bad enough leak. Otherwise, I'd be thinking about a bent valve, which would be more likely than bad rings. You might want to give Frank06 a holler. He knows a thing or two about these motors ;)

Any idea on when or if the timing belt has ever been done?

AFTER you check the timing, worry about the fuel!The fuel system could have "lost prime," in which case you should be able to pull vacuum on the return line of the injection pump and pull fuel back in. Then, crack the injector line nuts, one at a time, at the injectors and crank the car until you see fuel squirt out the top. That should bleed your lines and get your fuel back.

zukvw

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle, 04 jetta pd
thanks for everyones input, ski nc, you were right, the gauge was fualty, compression was good, fuel pump lost prime, got it running yesturday. thanks to all......