Crack in exhaust

TDI_Cubed

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328dX
My son's Golf developed a crack in the exhaust piping right after the catalyst. He was talking about getting someone to weld it. Is that possible or permissible?

raikky

Veteran Member
TDI
vw polo 1.4 tdi se pd
why not. i had a major leak coming from my cat and they welded that up nicely. that saidgetting a stainless steel exhaust measn youl never worry about them again.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
This is a highly discussed topic (in Maine).
The laws (in maine) conserning emissions & exhaust systems are loose and vague.
This problem leaves ANY state inspection station open to a wide interpretation of the intent of the law. In other words if the "inspector" FEELS that their is a "violation" of the Maine state inspection code the vehicle's pregistered owner is OBLIGATED for repairs to have said auomobile restored to state and federal mandates.

In other words....ANY Maine state automobile inspection station can and will set their own interpertation of the laws.

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Manual, 05 Passat
Having it welded should be fine and cost less than $50. I had a 8in section of pipe removed (had a Ubend) then replaced with a straight pipe and added the bung for the o2 sensor for $50. This was on my 03 Grand Prix.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
My son's Golf developed a crack in the exhaust piping right after the catalyst. He was talking about getting someone to weld it. Is that possible or permissible?
Yes and yes. Any muffler shop or a neighbor with a welder should be able to do it.

In other words....ANY Maine state automobile inspection station can and will set their own interpertation of the laws.
Relevance to the OP's question, considering their location is allegedly Damascus, Maryland? :confused: