CR140 Flapper Valve Performance...

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Just wanted to give an update. It has been a little over 10k miles since I pulled my flaps out. I went to the Tail of the Dragon over the weekend and had no issues what so ever. I beat the hell out of the car too. I got 48.4mpg on my 6.5 hour trip home. My average speed was 71mph. My previous best before the flaps was 10 hour trip to the keys in which I averaged 71mph and got 45.9 mpg.

I hooked up vcds today to my car and checked my ash load. I am at 60ml and I have 62k miles. I was at 48ml and about 52k miles when I pulled the flaps out. Removing the flaps does not seem to increase ash build up in the dpf. It seems I put about 1ml per 1k miles.

Have you been keeping an eye on the DPF ash load before the mod? It would be interesting to see what it continues to do. One thing that concerned me when reading this thread was it mentioned that there was an increase in soot at the tailpipe of the deleted rides, this tells me that under some condition there is more soot produced, from the sounds of it, the bottom end.

Just saying...

TDI<wagen>

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon, 6MT, pano, leather, media package
I have 2011 Golf wagon TDi with 92K kms, Malone Stg1.5 and DPF/EGR still intact. It seems that Malone tuned cars do not throw the CEL when flappers motor is unplugged. Is this correct? Does Malone tune leaves flappers always open?

1972SS454

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI
Well, I am looking into whether a 2014 intake is the same as the 2010 as far as shape and ability to fit...I thought I remember reading that it doesn't have the flaps and is not terribly expensive(I think it costs about the same as the engine cover :eek: ) So if I can sell my intake to recover some of the cost, I may go that route.

But, probably going to wind up pulling them when the HP EGR is dealt with.

Off for another test run...Top off the fuel and meth and see what happens. :cool:

Update:

Yup...something with the methanol injection and the flapper valve doesn't jive or the flapper valve was malfunctioning. Not even remotely close to the same with valve plugged in...I'm having remapped to eliminate it as well as HP EGR.

But I don't think I can be a reliable example of whether unplugging it helps performance if the valve is functioning properly.

I think mine was stuck closed or partially closed and methanol is now cleaning the side effects of that. I had the traction control kick in on a rolling start in 3rd at about 1700rpm...Don't remember that happening before.
The new Passat TDIs with CKRA engine have same intake manifold as us... just no intake flaps. part # 03L129711AR $237.64 on parts.com.

Too bad the EA288 intake manifold appears completely different .... it has air to water intercooler integrated into intake manifold and no intake flaps either.

Last edited:

mamock116

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I kept an eye on the ash load starting at about 30k miles. It seems to fill pretty consistently at 1ml per 1k miles. I use the OEM Castrol GTX oil only. I do mostly highway miles on my commute to work. I have not noticed any increase in soot on my tailpipe but I have completely stock exhaust.

TDI<wagen>

TDI
So tried unplugging flappers motors and leaving it unplugged for 30 min drive last night. CEL came up on the dash after about 15 min. I had to stop at the gas station and after restarting engine I got CEL. I did notice much more pull and less bog on the 2nd and 3rd otherwise nothing else. It could be easily a placebo effect. is there a way to remove CEL light for the time being with VCDS until I complete HW removal?

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
So tried unplugging flappers motors and leaving it unplugged for 30 min drive last night. CEL came up on the dash after about 15 min. I had to stop at the gas station and after restarting engine I got CEL. I did notice much more pull and less bog on the 2nd and 3rd otherwise nothing else. It could be easily a placebo effect. is there a way to remove CEL light for the time being with VCDS until I complete HW removal?

Who does your tune?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Just curious, what are the other good free mods?
Well... It may not be so free if your car throws a check engine light. Seems that some cars will and others won't.

I'm not sure if VCDS will be able to remove the flapper or not?

While it may not be related to performance...
There are some great software mods that you can do if you have a VCDS cable (price of admission is ~$250 for the Micro-CAN cable. for the one that supports all VW's it's $350.
http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html

One of the best mods that I've done with my cable is rolling up/down all windows when holding the lock/unlock button on my keyfob.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I just turned on the horn when unlocking. Really missed that from my beetle. Just like to know when I push the button that something is happening.

1972SS454

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI
I just turned on the horn when unlocking. Really missed that from my beetle. Just like to know when I push the button that something is happening.
I turned my horn off for locking/unlocking and enabled the turn signal flash instead. Better for me since i work nights

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
So I tried this on my way home from work this morning, and I got no error code. I am tuned with Malone Stage2 with DPF delete. Then tonight when I started my car to go to work there is the error code. I haven't read the code yet but I am pretty sure its due to the flapper motor. So I just plugged it back in. I saw no improvement in mileage. I just need to clear the code tonight.

So if its supposed to be tuned out with the tune; why isn't mine?

mamock116

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Interesting that you didn't notice an improvement in mileage. Maybe the car has to relearn. I am consistently getting 1.3 to 1.5 mpg improvement per tank in daily commute. Long road trips I seem to be getting 3mpg improvement. I also have a dpf which is another difference between mine and your car.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
.So I tried this on my way home from work this morning, and I got no error code. I am tuned with Malone Stage2 with DPF delete. Then tonight when I started my car to go to work there is the error code. I haven't read the code yet but I am pretty sure its due to the flapper motor. So I just plugged it back in. I saw no improvement in mileage. I just need to clear the code tonight.

So if its supposed to be tuned out with the tune; why isn't mine?
Interesting that you didn't notice an improvement in mileage. Maybe the car has to relearn. I am consistently getting 1.3 to 1.5 mpg improvement per tank in daily commute. Long road trips I seem to be getting 3mpg improvement. I also have a dpf which is another difference between mine and your car.
After doing the afe stage 2 install i immediately noticed a drop in bottom end performance, after about 300 miles that drop starts to go away and the bottom end loss comes back. Saturday i had to pull it and reverse the tstat bypass for tue fuel return line off the rail and i could immediately tell the drop in performance while taking it for a spin to warm it up before the smog test.

Yes it does take time to relearn and the test for mpg change the guy did on the way home ins not accurate. I saw a drop in mpg with the above install initially which makes sense with the loss in the bottom end. That loss went away as well and i actually saw an improvement when looking at commute averages over a 3000 mile period doing aba testing.

If your going to test for mpg give it at least 300 miles to adapt, 500 to be safe, then judge.

Last edited:

TDI<wagen>

TDI
Go pay a visit and see if you can get runner flap deleted from Mark
Yeah, I'll call them today see how long will it take them to get updated tune back from Mark.

I guess mark didn't add this feature to your tune, so that's why it's causing the error code to pop up.
Mine doesn't throw error code because mark added this feature to my tune. The drive ability of the car is awesome and very easy to drive!
I've noticed the motor does two cycles when I shut off the engine so I guess if ECU doesn't get the signal it throws a CEL.

After doing the afe stage 2 install i immediately noticed a drop in bottom end performance, after about 300 miles that drop starts to go away and the bottom end loss comes back. Saturday i had to pull it and reverse the tstat bypass for tue fuel return line off the rail and i could immediately tell the drop in performance while taking it for a spin to warm it up before the smog test.

Yes it does take time to relearn and the test for mpg change the guy did on the way home ins not accurate. I saw a drop in mpg with the above install initially which makes sense with the loss in the bottom end. That loss went away as well and i actually saw an improvement when looking at commute averages over a 3000 mile period doing aba testing.

If your going to test for mpg give it at least 300 miles to adapt, 500 to be safe, then judge.
aFe stg2 as in air intake? I have their Pro Dry series that goes into the stock air box - haven't really noticed much gain with butt-dyno but it does make turbo sound louder. :D

For those who had flaps physically deleted or tuned out for a while - have you noticed any increase in the DPF load amount?

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
aFe stg2 as in air intake? I have their Pro Dry series that goes into the stock air box - haven't really noticed much gain with butt-dyno but it does make turbo sound louder. :D
After it's had time to adjust, I notice it in the top end. Hence the reason for wanting another stock airbox... I want to cut the end of the box by the fender to be able to mount a longer filter. You might want to try the fuel line & canister insulation and bypass the tstat in the fuel canister for the returned fuel.

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
So I need to just not be a wuss. Don't worry about the light, and just wait it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDI<wagen>

TDI
Hmm... Been reading the self-study document on CJAA engine and still on the fence whether to remove the flaps or not. It says that flaps are closed at the idle and low engine speeds <3000rpm which created high swirl formation -> good mixture.

THEN they say, at >3000 rpm, emergency operation and at the start, valves are open which increases through output -> good filling of combustion chamber.

SO if we have good filling of combustion chamber ALL the time (startup, idle and full load) why would german engineers put the device there to begin with ?? Is this to comply with emissions? to increase MPG when engine is cold?

mamock116, what is your impression so far with this mod?

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
stock turbo these flaps might be good, but once you start shoving 2x the air in the head is it really needed to increase swirl?

More air at the same boost pressure will result in higher velocity, and thus more swirl. These heads have a natural swirl in the port geometry that can not be removed with any form of sane porting/head work. Add to that the cam timing is different on each lobe to start a swirl in the chamber naturally. I don't really see any engine above stock power or even at stock power needing the flaps. It's an emissions item really for light throttle carbon emissions if I were to guess.

On a dyno I doubt you'd see much if any gain from adding the low range swirl at higher boost pressure. The more air you flow the more natural swirl you get. You can actually have too much swirl as well. The stock intake is incredible restrictive and overall not a great piece you can tell emissions and economy were the only goals in the design.

mamock116

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
mamock116, what is your impression so far with this mod?

Best mod I have done. I am getting so much better mpg now. Over the weekend I did a 1200 mile road trip. My average speed was 71 and my average mpg was 47.4 Previously with the flaps I would have gotten a little over 45.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
The intake flaps are there for one reason, to speed up the air during low/part throttle so egr soot won't stick to surfaces if it is flowing by faster. EGR duty cycle goes away at big drivers request, as does the flap duty cycle.

Best running CR's have egr delete, and flap duty cycle turned off, that's it. No need to remove the flaps. This is a 3-4mpg FE benefit in all diesels, CRD's, MB's, BMW's and TDI's.
;-)

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
So is the only way to disable the duty cycle by retune of the ecu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, and no. Simply unplug the motor and flaps default to open position, but will give fault. Remove the discs, and keep motor plugged in, and no tune needed.

TDI<wagen>

TDI
The intake flaps are there for one reason, to speed up the air during low/part throttle so egr soot won't stick to surfaces if it is flowing by faster. EGR duty cycle goes away at big drivers request, as does the flap duty cycle.

Best running CR's have egr delete, and flap duty cycle turned off, that's it. No need to remove the flaps. This is a 3-4mpg FE benefit in all diesels, CRD's, MB's, BMW's and TDI's.
;-)
So if I don't have EGR delete yet and unplug the flapper actuator (with possibility of removing the actual flaps later) I might have intake runners being plugged up with soot faster than normal?
I do about 60/40 highway/city mix of driving so a but more of idle and low rpm.