CR140 Flapper Valve Performance...

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
its not super secret, its just certain things can be done in the us, and some can not regarding emisions

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Ok, did a little playing around the other day and found that if i unplug it.. the car is significant slower from a dead stop to 20mph, but the 20mph+ area the car wakes up more. I am not sure if this is significant to the fact i am big turbo.. but this is the results of my findings. I sent my tuner an email asking about it but still waiting on reply. He been superbusy with the summer time approaching and everyone wanting tunes for car shows and stuff.

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
Ok, did a little playing around the other day and found that if i unplug it.. the car is significant slower from a dead stop to 20mph, but the 20mph+ area the car wakes up more. I am not sure if this is significant to the fact i am big turbo.. but this is the results of my findings. I sent my tuner an email asking about it but still waiting on reply. He been superbusy with the summer time approaching and everyone wanting tunes for car shows and stuff.
Just unplugging it and leaving flaps in situ. Will cause the above probs due to the gasses getting drawn against the flaps. Removing the whole lot of junk completely is the only way forward

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Just unplugging it and leaving flaps in situ. Will cause the above probs due to the gasses getting drawn against the flaps. Removing the whole lot of junk completely is the only way forward
i dont know if that is the case as when its unplugged the flaps default open...
also weird enough the car didnt through a check engine light the entire like 20 min drive testing it out..

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
i dont know if that is the case as when its unplugged the flaps default open...
also weird enough the car didnt through a check engine light the entire like 20 min drive testing it out..
Yes but even in the open position they block flow... best to remove is what he is saying, what is the function of this?

DZLmk6

TDI
MK6 Golf
Copied from the self study program :
Through the positioning of the flap valves, the swirl
of the intake air is adjusted based on the engine
speed and load.

Flap Valve Function
During idling and at low engine speeds, the flap
valves are closed. This leads to high swirl formation,
with results in good mixture formation.

During driving operation, the flap valves are adjusted
continuously based on the load and engine speed.
Thus for each operating range the optimum air
movement is available.

Starting at an engine speed of approximately 3000
rpm, the flap valves are completely open. The
increased throughput of air insures good filling of the
combustion chamber.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Mark replied to me, we will be doing tuning on this in the near future to see if it can truely be tuned to help.. if we cant i will probably remove it.

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
Apologies to those that are still awaiting pics and details, my Internet is down at home so can't access emails,

Regarding mods to do this,
I recommend doing this regardless of tune, I'm aware the manual states open or shut details of what exactly the flaps do. And to be honest I think it's massively dramatised.

I see them as a restriction and nothing else, hence when I removed them I saw an average of 6mpg increase and lots more power with back to back testing.

I can talk anybody through removal if they so wish

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
TOTAL TIME roughly 5 hrs job done if your handy with tools, although that is with cleaning the inlet manifold out aswell..

all pm,s replied to

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2stroke... do you have pictures of the process?? i sent you PM but it says your box is full

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
Storx, I didn't do a full photo how to while I was doing it though, but it wouldn't take much to do one, as the photos you have already seen are of the fanimold off the car, if there was enough interest I could put a bit of a how to together

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
;)I just pmed you as well, I believe interest is high, and I'll paypal you a 6 pack for going through the effort as well!:cool:

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
I also agree that the interest is very high for this mod. I'm definitely glued to this thread.

MVJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I disconnected flap motor just to see what would happen. No check engine light. I seem to have lost some low end torque on the butt dyno. I also have noticed that the Jetta DSG doesn't shudder at low speeds (in a parking garage) but this is all during my lunch break.

I know I didn't remove the flaps but I wanted to see what it would do with the motor disconnected.

Codes P2017 and P2008 popped up. Reattached it.

Last edited:

j3tdi

TDI
2012 VW Jetta
Ive had my motor disconnected for a couple days with no CEL. Maybe because I have a Stage 2 tune?

Id like to find a used manifold to rip apart.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
just a little update. I have had mine unplugged for nearly a week now and driving it around i have not had a hiccup issue that randomly surfaced before yet.. the issue i had was that randomly i go to accelerate and boost would seem to rise like normal but the car just felt sluggish as if it was kinda falling on its own face.. but go away for a while after happening..and drive normal again.. since unplugging the motor.. i have yet to have this issue arise.. and its starting to make me wander if it possibly could be the issue i was getting randomly.. i will keep you guys updated as i am brainstorming what to do on removing this system. I plan to remove it but want to make sure its done correctly I dont know fully if the person i received the pictures from filled the ports connecting all intake runners together or not.. i know they tapped the end where the motor was but never showed the runners. i am trying to come up with a good solution to turn this is into a proper upgrade the easiest and pass the knowledge on to you guys..

Added the pics to page 1

Last edited:

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Thanks for doing the leg work as always Storx. If ever on the west coast or driving through Utah. Beer is on me. :thumbup::beer:

Those pictures don't make it look too tough. Did he JB weld fill the cuts or proper weld filling?

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
Storx that's one of the little traits with these engines, basically as the flaps are opening and shutting at different times dependent on inlet pressure it will effect the way the car runs.

Hence me putting in my first post that removing the flap system also removed all the nigly traits aswell