CR140 Flapper Valve Performance...

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06

I was reading on the Skoda forums and how they were talking about how they adjust the settings of there flapper valve for better performance even on the stock hardware.. Have we looked into this in our country?? I ask because it interests me.. One guy said when you unplug it, it is defaulted open and the entire engine and exhaust sounds change...

OPEN

CLOSED

Last edited:

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
I have removed this system for someone, the result is better throttle response, 7-9mpg increase, quieter engine under load, better use of rev range, more power

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4
I have removed this system for someone, the result is better throttle response, 7-9mpg increase, quieter engine under load, better use of rev range, more power
That seems like an unbelievable gain for this mod, why has this not been discussed here before?

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
How are you proving that claim? Is that what they told you after they left?

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
We did a before and after comparison based on the same roads at roughly the same traffic volume, total drive each way was 40 miles, and since removing the flaps and bar 7 weeks ago the car has been driven the same roads every day as its his everyday car. He has kept his RECIEPTS and only runs full tanks from full to light on and refills, he has run 2 full tanks and the comparison from previous refills to now he states is roughly 8mpg increase average

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
That seems like an unbelievable gain for this mod, why has this not been discussed here before?
It's discussed quite a lot in the uk, I've also given a chap in the us details on how to do it.

I've also done it on my own 2006 golf, with better results and proven dyno printout gains.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
realy hard to believe you would see anything on a dyno that is bigger than the tolerance of the dyno itself, at least on a non remapped car. the stock tune is so lean that extra air will not make more power.

maybe removing the flap gives a tad more airflow at high rpm. but during very light load it improves combustion stabilty and thus the bsfc of the engine. at 60 mph offcourse it will not help anymore

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
I get better flow right through, due to removing the restrictive flap and bar, it actually amazed me at how much of the total inlet area is taken up by this system,

Obviously under normal cruising round town at low rpm, there probably is a marginal change if any , but I certainly have noticed a jump in mpg, and power delivery when the right pedal is pushed

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
What faults are thrown with the intake flaps removed? I'd be interested if the engine derates or runs in some sort of protection mode. If it were to trigger a no EGR map, that would be awesome and I could see that significantly increasing fuel economy due to greater engine efficiency.

Last edited:

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
I'm looking into it...just been super busy with need school

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
Apologies for not getting back to the several people PM, ing me their email address, as explained to the first 3 people I had to go away quickly to deal with a familly burial

I will email you all the info over the weekend

DZLmk6

TDI
MK6 Golf
Thanks for the Info 2STROKECORKY ! One question . Did you keep the Flap motor on and plugged in after the mod so it won't throw any codes? Or is it okay to keep it off?