CR Timing belt / thermostat replacement.

_Diesel_Dan

TDI
2010 MK5
Going to be doing the thermostat and Timing belt on my 2010 Jetta cjaa, manual trans. Any parts you guys suggest getting besides the obvious? Have read some threads about nightmares about doing the thermostat and different o rings and tubes I should purchase... however no part numbers are listed. Looking for input and possibly part numbers I should grab! Thanks

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI automatic,2006 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
Go to IDPARTS.... GREAT service and great parts. You can also look at some of the suggested parts that they recommend.
Hope this helps....

billnlana

TDI
2006 5spd. sedan
Id parts.com Get the whole kit with the gates belt , tensioner, water pump. I have done it 3 times in 14 years. Never had a belt or water pump fail. Only did the thermostat once.

KidFromAkron

TDI
2010 jetta
Is it recommended to change the thermostat when doing the timing belt? I'm about to do this same job and already got my parts from through the links Dieselgeek has on his thread. I have the turbo back exhaust from Rawtek and stage 2 tune from Malone. My cruising temps stay at 160-170 and I wonder if its the exhaust or if I need a new thermostat?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Don't mess with the thermostat unless you have good reason to. The ECU monitors this, so if it gets bad enough you'll be alerted via a MIL requested DTC. It isn't a quick easy thing on the CJAA, and it really doesn't have much overlap with a timing belt anyway.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I'll say, I did one not long ago just because the customer wanted it. I'm not doing that again unless it's truly needed.

oilhammer

TDI
I take the front of the car off. It isn't too bad then. Still isn't the 5 minute job like on an ALH!

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
The ECU monitors this, so if it gets bad enough you'll be alerted via a MIL requested DTC.
How bad does it have to be for the MIL to come on? I recently picked up a '10 Jetta TDI and it seems like the temp gauge only spends half of the time at operating temperature. It warms up just fine, but then will cool back down if I'm driving down a hill. I've even seen it get as far as half way back down to cold coming down a mountain. I would have thought the ECU would have cared more about maintaining operating temperature than that.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
Monitor the ECU's data and see.
I can monitor the data, but that just tells me the operating temp. My question was more of when does it trigger warning light? Is it an issue of how long it's below a certain temp vs how low the temp gets temporarily?

oilhammer

TDI
What I was getting at, was the gauge isn't necessarily lock step the same as the ECU's input. The ECU time stamps the coolant temp at start up, then monitors the rate at which it climbs. Honestly, though, the TDIs, even the CR engines, seem to be pretty lenient about that sort of thing. I have seen a few set a P0128 (coolant temp below operating range) but it may be one of those things that if the temp has passed the threshold after the initial check, then the ECU is satisfied for that drive cycle, and if it cools back down (which, going down a mountain it certainly would), the ECU does not care.

But since you asked, I looked it up:

For the CJAA engine, the test criteria is start up coolant temp is below 60 C, but above -10 C. If it is TOO cold, the ECU is told to ignore this, as the logic knows the engine may NEVER get up to temp as it ideally should. Then the time is 900 seconds. It shows it wants to see an increase of 3K at the CTS, I would take that to mean 3k Ohms value change.

So looking at the CTS resistance chart, let's say you started the car at -5 C, it should be around 7K Ohm, and at 15 C it is around 3K. This difference of 4K Ohm so long as it occurred in 900 seconds, then the ECU's coolant temp logic is satisfied for that drive cycle. The drive cycle will not "reset" until the coolant is back down below 60 C and the engine is turned off.

So, in the Queen's terms, if you started your engine up cold with the coolant around 20F, and after 15 minutes it was around 60F, the ECU is happy, and will not flag a P0128 DTC. I can tell you though that most any TDI can get through that test easily. And once that is done, you can cool that engine back down to a block of ice if you want, so long as the engine has not been shut off, the ECU thinks everything is normal.

So, you could certainly still have a weak or (by most accounts) a "bad" thermostat and still not have the P0128 DTC setting, as the test criteria is not hard to satisfy at all.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
What I was getting at, was the gauge isn't necessarily lock step the same as the ECU's input. The ECU time stamps the coolant temp at start up, then monitors the rate at which it climbs. Honestly, though, the TDIs, even the CR engines, seem to be pretty lenient about that sort of thing. I have seen a few set a P0128 (coolant temp below operating range) but it may be one of those things that if the temp has passed the threshold after the initial check, then the ECU is satisfied for that drive cycle, and if it cools back down (which, going down a mountain it certainly would), the ECU does not care.

But since you asked, I looked it up:

For the CJAA engine, the test criteria is start up coolant temp is below 60 C, but above -10 C. If it is TOO cold, the ECU is told to ignore this, as the logic knows the engine may NEVER get up to temp as it ideally should. Then the time is 900 seconds. It shows it wants to see an increase of 3K at the CTS, I would take that to mean 3k Ohms value change.

So looking at the CTS resistance chart, let's say you started the car at -5 C, it should be around 7K Ohm, and at 15 C it is around 3K. This difference of 4K Ohm so long as it occurred in 900 seconds, then the ECU's coolant temp logic is satisfied for that drive cycle. The drive cycle will not "reset" until the coolant is back down below 60 C and the engine is turned off.

So, in the Queen's terms, if you started your engine up cold with the coolant around 20F, and after 15 minutes it was around 60F, the ECU is happy, and will not flag a P0128 DTC. I can tell you though that most any TDI can get through that test easily. And once that is done, you can cool that engine back down to a block of ice if you want, so long as the engine has not been shut off, the ECU thinks everything is normal.

So, you could certainly still have a weak or (by most accounts) a "bad" thermostat and still not have the P0128 DTC setting, as the test criteria is not hard to satisfy at all.
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to look it up for me!