CR Timing belt / thermostat replacement.

_Diesel_Dan

TDI
2010 MK5
Going to be doing the thermostat and Timing belt on my 2010 Jetta cjaa, manual trans. Any parts you guys suggest getting besides the obvious? Have read some threads about nightmares about doing the thermostat and different o rings and tubes I should purchase... however no part numbers are listed. Looking for input and possibly part numbers I should grab! Thanks

backfast61

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI automatic,2006 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
Go to IDPARTS.... GREAT service and great parts. You can also look at some of the suggested parts that they recommend.
Hope this helps....

billnlana

TDI
2006 5spd. sedan
Id parts.com Get the whole kit with the gates belt , tensioner, water pump. I have done it 3 times in 14 years. Never had a belt or water pump fail. Only did the thermostat once.

KidFromAkron

TDI
2010 jetta
Is it recommended to change the thermostat when doing the timing belt? I'm about to do this same job and already got my parts from through the links Dieselgeek has on his thread. I have the turbo back exhaust from Rawtek and stage 2 tune from Malone. My cruising temps stay at 160-170 and I wonder if its the exhaust or if I need a new thermostat?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Don't mess with the thermostat unless you have good reason to. The ECU monitors this, so if it gets bad enough you'll be alerted via a MIL requested DTC. It isn't a quick easy thing on the CJAA, and it really doesn't have much overlap with a timing belt anyway.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I'll say, I did one not long ago just because the customer wanted it. I'm not doing that again unless it's truly needed.