Cr block alh head

Brewer

TDI
1998 jeep cherokee alh
Is the cr block any different than the alh other than small changes to the block design. I've never had a common rail but would it be possible to use a alh head on a cr block? Is it true cr blocks are stronger from factory than alh from factory

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
ALH head should fit cbaa/cjaa with no issue, however CR pistons will not work with the spray angle/injector position of the ALH head so you need to run BHW pistons with the CR rods and crank .... there is no provision in the CR block for a VE style crank sensor so you would have to communicate with a tuner to see if the CR crank signal (rear main) could run with edc15 or go mechanical pump... the only unknown is how the ALH accessory bolts to the block, i think it will work but have not tried

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
You must use a europe Audi accessory bracket ont e CR block. I got one from X Man in UK.Was going to put a CR into a MK4 golf

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Bump, looking to do this, ALH head on a CR block with BHW pistons. Problem is crank sensor, I would assume it would be possible to tune the ECU for the CR external crank sensor no?

Found a CJAA local to me cheap and have a set of BHW pistons ready to go. Cheaper than boring an ALH block plus lower end is way stronger. BHW blocks seem to be unobtaininum around here.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Bump, looking to do this, ALH head on a CR block with BHW pistons. Problem is crank sensor, I would assume it would be possible to tune the ECU for the CR external crank sensor no?

Found a CJAA local to me cheap and have a set of BHW pistons ready to go. Cheaper than boring an ALH block plus lower end is way stronger. BHW blocks seem to be unobtaininum around here.
Want stronger block, use a BEW bottom end. BHW fit the rods, have to add a hole for the timing belt idler pulley and swap over the crank toner ring off the ALH.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta 5sp TDI, 2010 bmw x5d, 81 1z MTDi Caddy, 97 jetta tdi
Would this be better than rebuilding an alh lower end and putting eBay rods in it to hold power? I may go this route as I just threw a severely bent rod through my oil filter housing on my Jetta. Too much boost lol. These motors don't care for 35psi

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
The rods help...but throwing a rod isnt usually because the rods are weak...its another failure...oiling, pcp or something else. At any rate. Decent rods, a ported head and the right turbo and tune and you will be well on your way.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Well looks like this a bust, CR uses a hall type crank sensor and ALH uses inductive pickup. Totally different sensors, ALH is self powered and the CR uses a 5V, GND, and signal type hall sensor. I do not see how you could ever make this work from hardware standpoint alone.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Want stronger block, use a BEW bottom end. BHW fit the rods, have to add a hole for the timing belt idler pulley and swap over the crank toner ring off the ALH.
CBEA/CJAA lower ends are way stronger than BEW/BRM engines. Bigger main bearings and stronger rods.