CR 6MT jetta TDI drivetrain swap into a Tiguan

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Is this doable provided one has all the jetta parts? Possibly 2012-2015 both cars? I know it's been done with the DSG but the 6MT would be sweet. Hopefully ecu, pedals, etc would swap. Both FWD. The tiguan tdi 4 motion was also available in Europe and knowing them a manual gearbox was most likely available also. 4 motion would be sweet too.

Last edited:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Is this doable provided one has all the jetta parts? Possibly 2012-2015 both cars? I know it's been done with the DSG but the 6MT would be sweet. Hopefully ecu, pedals, etc would swap. Both FWD. The tiguan tdi 4 motion was also available in Europe and knowing them a manual gearbox was most likely available also. 4 motion would be sweet too.
It's certainly possible to have 6MT TDI Tiguan as I have one. The conversion was done by vwztips. He used a Golf engine/trans in the swap. As for 4Motion, there are plenty of 6MT Tiguan gearboxes available in Europe. The driveshaft and rear end parts you need can come from a US automatic Tig, so not too hard to find.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Can you tell me what rpm you are spinning in 6th at 70?
are you sure the Euro 6sp 4motion final drive gearing is compatible with the us Tiguan 4motion automatic rear?

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you tell me what rpm you are spinning in 6th at 70?
1800 RPM. Keep in mind it has a TDI Golf gearbox and the tires on a Tiguan are slightly taller than a Golf. I would think with a proper Tiguan TDI gearbox it might be slightly lower geared.
are you sure the Euro 6sp 4motion final drive gearing is compatible with the us Tiguan 4motion automatic rear?
Well I haven't done the swap, but are considering it. If you look up the part number for a rear differential for a US auto Tiguan it's the same part number you find on eBay UK for a 6S TDI Tiguan. So I'm reasonably sure they are the same. The takeoff for the rear driveshaft is after the final drive, so it shouldn't be affected by the final drive ratio.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
vwztips confirmed to me the rear diffs are the same 1:1. Did your build car have oe DSG or 6mt? If it was a DSG car, did all the golf manual stuff fit? What years engine will work ? GAA engine code?

Last edited:

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
. Did your build car have oe DSG or 6mt?
It was a factory 6 speed. The 6S Tigs are out there but not plentiful. BTW, only "S" (base) Tiguans were sold with a manual in the US.
I've added a few bits like a factory Navi radio with backup camera and rain sensing wipers.
What years engine will work ? GAA engine code?
Not sure what year engines fit, mine is a CJAA from a 2013 Golf.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did Jeff use the golf ecu? I assume your abs is good?

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Did Jeff use the golf ecu? I assume your abs is good?
Yes to both. I know he had the ECU tuned, not sure if any other changes were done. The cluster is also from the Golf, he had to get it modified, as I recall for the Tiguan fuel tank sender to work with the Golf fuel gauge. There may have been other changes but I'm not sure. I know the wiring harness had to be sorted to get the gas Tiguan harness to connect to the TDI ECU.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK. Will keep all that in mind. Thanks for your help. Let me know if you go 4motion and do a build thread if you do. I think Jeff is contemplating one now but he doesn't do build threads.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Yes to both. I know he had the ECU tuned, not sure if any other changes were done. The cluster is also from the Golf, he had to get it modified, as I recall for the Tiguan fuel tank sender to work with the Golf fuel gauge. There may have been other changes but I'm not sure. I know the wiring harness had to be sorted to get the gas Tiguan harness to connect to the TDI ECU.
OK. Will keep all that in mind. Thanks for your help. Let me know if you go 4motion and do a build thread if you do. I think Jeff is contemplating one now but he doesn't do build threads.
Correct , He is currently building one more and I programed all his cars :).
The biggest thing is Immobilizer programing and match ABS .

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Let me know if you go 4motion and do a build thread if you do.
I have the rear end and driveshaft. Still need the gearbox and front axles (the 4Motion axles are different). The clutch is different as well. Actually a real 4Motion Tiguan TDI uses a different gearbox to the Golf, a MQ500. It's supposed to be a bit beefier. I bought a 4Motion gearbox and axles a while back, FedEx lost the shipment, but that's another story. Anyway I would like to do the 4Motion but I have plenty of other projects ahead of that. Maybe in a year or so.