CPO warranty claims, any suggestions?

252SportsWagen

TDI
2014 Sportswagen TDI
Hey hey,
First off if there’s already a thread on this please feel free to point me that direction. I did a basic search but wasn’t super fruitful.

I have a buyback 2013 Sportwagen which was purchased with 45k, sat south of Jacksonville for 1.5 years on one of the storage lots, and ended up in my driveway. Any how, it was a CPO car and the dealership was VERY soft on telling me what the warranty actually would cover. I’ve heard mixed things but wanted to see if the following things would be accepted or if you think I should go in with my fighting gloves on. I know I can fix many of these myself and feel comfortable doing so but would rather have the dealership do the work.

I’ve unfortunately had a fair amount of issues (most heat related from sitting on runway for so long)
-Head liner beginning to droop in corners
-Front door panel “leather” dropped, I glued them back in place but couldn’t get to stretch back in place all the way and the foam has disintegrated. Looks bad
-Defrost has stopped working until the car has been running for 15 minutes and AC takes forever to get cold.
-Air bag error, passenger airbags are disabled
-Radiator fan vibrates pretty aggressively when DPF goes in burn
-Second row seat belt guard broke
-Coolant overflow tank is starting to crack
-passenger mirror glass just fell off during road trip this week

I’ve been really disappointed with this car and VW. When the CPO was explained to me I was told all fluids were replaced, new tires, and their 15 billion point inspection complete. I later found out the DSG hadn’t been done, tires were original to buyback and two tires blew cords on a road trip, VW very hesitantly replaced all four after I griped loudly. So all that to say, is that a common experience for others who bought buyback cars?
We’ve put 25,000 on it in just over a year and it’s turned to be a nice road trip car and great for our lifestyle but not sure how much more small annoying things I want to handle considering my wife’s 2004 civic is 280,000 miles in and frankly in better shape than the VW.
Happy for any responses and thanks for taking the time.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
If the CPO warranty is still active on the car, then most if not all of those items should be covered. I believe CPO has a $50 deductible per visit,
so take the car and the punch list of issues to resolve for one visit. Do you have a copy of the CPO warranty and what it covers? Additionally, do you have a copy of the extended emissions warranty and what that covers? If you do not, get copies so you know what if covered (sounds like you know some of the coverage).

Do you have other available dealers to service the car? Another dealer may be more willing to work with you on the issues.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Your paperwork should include the CPO warranty paperwork, including the fine print. If not, it's available online from VW (and other sources). The CPO, at $50 per visit /item, covers items that are not maint (oil and filters), and not wear and tear items (tires and brakes). My guess is that they were very soft on telling what's covered because they skipped the 112 point CPO inspection (each wheel bolt is an item), promoted a 2 year CPO warranty, and hoped that you won't walk in and demand they put the warranty into effect (and fix every item you listed). The maint performed on the car was recorded by VIN, and if they didnt provide that paperwork, it probably wasn't done. Honestly, If my CPO was that neglected by the dealer, I'd get VW involved sooner rather than later, because it tells you what you can expect from the dealer.

frey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Fraud. Dealer slapped the CPO label on your car without the CPO inspection/maintenance. Dealers take delivery of these buy-back tdis and either auction them off as is or decide to spend the time on the CPO repairs/maintenance and jack the price. In your case, they CPOed the car without spending the time. Take it back to them and insist they actually do what they said they did. New brakes with fluid flush, coolant flush, filters, and repairs to everything that has deteriorated in storage. It's the deferred maintenance issues that will be costly once the warrantee expires (sell the car then). Then find someone else to maintain the car.