CPO ‘13 JSW Pano…

Tyler.ayala

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen 6sp Manual
I know this topic has been beating to death. One of my short comings is forum searching/Navigating so I apologize in advance.

I have about 6 months left in my CPO warranty and the pano roof got stuck open last week. I rarely use it (maybe 7-8 times in the past 18 months). I went to close it this last time and the passenger side closed but the driver’s side got stuck open all cock-eyed. Also had a CEL pop up right before that for a sensor (don’t remember which. One before the cat).
Took it in to the dealer for CEL and Pano and they wanted to charge me $175 to diagnose CEL and another $175 to diagnose Pano issue.
They covered the sensor under Deiselgate warranty but said the Pano needs to be replaced because the rails are misaligned due to debris in the track.
I’ve never parked it under a tree with the roof open. I always park in the garage at home. The only time it’s been left open for an extended period of time was AFTER it was stuck partially open. Argued with the dealer (the better of the 2 somewhat local dealers here) and they say “no way it’s out of pocket for you.” with a quote of $4,800.
My question: Is this covered under CPO warranty? If not, ouch. I’ll get it closed and leave it closed forever. If it IS covered, can someone post a link to the warranty and give any guidance on verbiage to use with both the dealer and VWoA to get this resolved? (I know TurboABA posts the link quite a bit but, again, I’m fairly forum search illiterate and haven’t been able to find it again)

Thanks in advance!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Your pano issue was likely caused because no one fkn maintains the things. Clean and lube. Lube the cables etc.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
It is a little way from you but Tracy VW has been good to me in the past. Smart with the TDI's, which is rare.

It sounds like you need to synchronize the sunroof slider side to side, there is a procedure. When I first bought my car 2 years ago, the battery was changed. Immediately afterwards the roof was operating under an obvious misalignment strain. The dealer covered the procedure under warrany to sync the 2 tracks. That said Ive seen post where the dealer was great covering the pano and some not so good.

From my experiance and in general on this forum I would say VW dealers and policy are not exactly a VW selling point! All dealerships now want a customer to sign an hourly diag. fee JUST in case its not covered. It won't be charged if covered under warranty. It wasnt always that way with warranty work. At least when I worked for Ford back in the stone ages. BTW an honest/good dealer can get about anything within reason covered... warranty is just not as profitable as customer pay. AND if you feel you want to pursue another dealership, just give the writer what the roof is doing. If they don't know about the alignment you may think twice...? They also cant track what another dealership has said or done so dont add layers of dealerships ignorance IMHO. You can bring VW in to contest a claim also.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Rereading the details Im getting pissed. VW wants $4800 for what? run the sync. and maybe blow out the track? $4800 IS HALF of what I paid out the door for my 11 CPO!

@$175 labor rate hr. = 27.4 hours

unless they are replacing the whole track assemble I wouldnt even start to think it through

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
Yep that is more than half what the asking price was for my whole car.. I think that is their way of saying they want you to take it to an independent mechanic.

Tyler.ayala

TDI
Rereading the details Im getting pissed. VW wants $4800 for what? run the sync. and maybe blow out the track? $4800 IS HALF of what I paid out the door for my 11 CPO!

@$175 labor rate hr. = 27.4 hours

unless they are replacing the whole track assemble I wouldnt even start to think it through
They said $175 for Diagnostic, and the rest of the $4800 is replacing the whole Pano and shade assembly.
But why would they need to replace the shade assembly unless there was something wrong with it to begin with? It all sounds pretty scammy. Will call VW Customer Care tomorrow and give an update. Tracy isn’t too far from me (1.5 hours) if I need to go that route.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
At 4800 I would rather rip it all out and rivet a sheet of steel over the roof than pay. Like seriously.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
They said $175 for Diagnostic, and the rest of the $4800 is replacing the whole Pano and shade assembly.
But why would they need to replace the shade assembly unless there was something wrong with it to begin with? It all sounds pretty scammy. Will call VW Customer Care tomorrow and give an update. Tracy isn’t too far from me (1.5 hours) if I need to go that route.
Was there track or other damage from the misalignment? So did they give you the $4800 replacement cost before the $175 diag.?
From what you said, if there was no additional damage it sure sounds like a simple re calibrate. This dealer sure sounds like they dont want to do anything past oil changes. The headliners tend to have the factory glue come apart, common issue.

Id call closer VW dealers and ask them if they were familiar with pano recalibrate and take it from there

Tyler.ayala

TDI
Was there track or other damage from the misalignment? So did they give you the $4800 replacement cost before the $175 diag.?
From what you said, if there was no additional damage it sure sounds like a simple re calibrate. This dealer sure sounds like they dont want to do anything past oil changes. The headliners tend to have the factory glue come apart, common issue.

Id call closer VW dealers and ask them if they were familiar with pano recalibrate and take it from there
The $4800 included the $175 diagnostic. The service manager said that they’re err able to get it to close but “it took a while and a bit of force”….so, there’s that to add to the mix now.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The $4800 included the $175 diagnostic. The service manager said that they’re err able to get it to close but “it took a while and a bit of force”….so, there’s that to add to the mix now.
It's covered under the cpo warrenty. It's a mechanical failure.

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
I had new drains, pano assembly, glass, etc all covered by CPO a few years ago. They even had the headliner and carpet professionally cleaned due to the leaks.

Tyler.ayala

TDI
Update: I contacted Customer Care, who then contacted the dealer (Cardinale VW of Salinas), who told us timer Care that the damage was due to debris in the track which caused them to go out of sync. I was told by the dealer that it was “probably caused by debris in the track” but they couldn’t say for sure. Customer Care rep (Janet) said that, because damage was caused by debris in the track (100% according to what the dealer told customer care) it is considered to be caused by an “outside influence” and, therefore, not covered.
The dealer was able to get the glass panel closed….sort of. There is an air leak somewhere and it makes a lovely whistling sound so I’m skeptical that is is fully sealed even though they say it is.
Dealer also said that if I turn the knob, the glass will go right back to where it was when I brought it in.

Potential paths moving forward:
1) Now that the Pano is closed, I could go to another dealer, tell them there is an air leak in the pano, and go from there.

2) Hope the stupid thing is sealed enough to not leak during a wash or any rain, pull the fuse, and leave it be.

3) Take a chance and a junked JSW with Pano (found one at a “pick-n-pull” about 90 miles away and they was $60 for the whole assembly if I can remove it from the car), figure out for to replace pano with one from a wrecked car. I’m pretty mechanically inclined but I’ve read and heard that these things are a total pain.

4) Open to suggestions

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
It's something flagged to n the vin of your car. Best bet would be get a full assembly from a junkyard and replace it. I did this with my dad's. Wasn't debris in the track.

It was caused from not maintaining it. VW reccomends bianual cleaning and lube.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I would bet when you take yours out, you'll find part of the cable track is broken. Took about 8 hours to swap the pano.