CP3 tune question

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
So back in 2017, I emailed Owain at Malone Tuning and asked him if I needed to retune for my CP3. I was told that no tuning changes were required. Fast forward to maybe a year or so ago, and I noticed that Malone has a CP3 tuning option, and was told that I need to get this CP3 tune. What gives? Does it really make a difference, or is it snake oil? Not trying to start a pissing match, but just wondering what benefit it really offers me. Like will it improve fuel economy and/or performance?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
So back in 2017, I emailed Owain at Malone Tuning and asked him if I needed to retune for my CP3. I was told that no tuning changes were required. Fast forward to maybe a year or so ago, and I noticed that Malone has a CP3 tuning option, and was told that I need to get this CP3 tune. What gives? Does it really make a difference, or is it snake oil? Not trying to start a pissing match, but just wondering what benefit it really offers me. Like will it improve fuel economy and/or performance?
With the CP3 and the correct metering valve you do not need a tune. But if you get a tune he can optimize the power a little bit more using the CP3 fuel pump.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
With the CP3 and the correct metering valve you do not need a tune. But if you get a tune he can optimize the power a little bit more using the CP3 fuel pump.
Now it makes me wonder if mine has the proper metering valve. Mine was one of the official kits by @2micron before he left the scene post-dieselgate that I picked up from Andrew Rodriguez.,

On your car - have you noticed any power or fuel economy gains with this tune addition?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
With the proper valve it just eliminates tubing if your on stock injectors and turbo. You don't gain much with stock components. I'm stage 4. Have yet to install mine. I will need a tune. I'll have bigger injectors. With the higher flow pump the duration inj duration can be lowered.
With the larger injectors even more so. Which will also lower my egt a sizeable amount. And I hope it will increase my mileage. Right now I get 36mpg doing 70mph.

Last edited:

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
So I have a CP3 from Darkside that's waiting to go on my sportwagen and there's NO markings on the metering valve.
I though it curious, as the CP3 I have on my A3 had a part number and I had to provide that to Malone for the tune update.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
With the proper valve it just eliminates tubing if your on stock injectors and turbo. You don't gain much with stock components. I'm stage 4. Have yet to install mine. I will need a tune. I'll have bigger injectors. With the higher flow pump the duration inj duration can be lowered.
With the larger injectors even more so. Which will also lower my egt a sizeable amount. And I hope it will increase my mileage. Right now I get 36mpg doing 70mph.
Is yours a DSG? Depending on foot control, I can get about 39-41 doing 70.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Is yours a DSG? Depending on foot control, I can get about 39-41 doing 70.
Yeah. Dsg. Was supposed to get better mileage with stage 4, not less. If it doesn't get better this summer, with the cp3 and injectors. I'll have someone else tune it.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
So I have a CP3 from Darkside that's waiting to go on my sportwagen and there's NO markings on the metering valve.
I though it curious, as the CP3 I have on my A3 had a part number and I had to provide that to Malone for the tune update.
Have to look. There's 2 sets of numbers on it. If you really can't find it. Email darkside and ask if their cp3 kit for your motor, requires a retune after installed.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Well, I didn't buy their CP3 kit. Mine is specifically the kit 2micron was making for TDIs, that he stopped doing after dieselgate was announced.

Unless you're saying to ask darkside in general, not specifically. What else do you have on your Stage 4? I had a Stage 3 with my DSG, and when I moved the tune to my 2013 (and sold the 2010), I opted for Stage 3, so I could read my EGTs. I figured that was more important than gaining about 10-ish whp.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Have to look. There's 2 sets of numbers on it. If you really can't find it. Email darkside and ask if their cp3 kit for your motor, requires a retune after installed.
Thats what struck me as odd, as there are no markings whatsoever on it. Once I'm ready to install it, I'll shoot an email to darkside to ask.
Malone recommends sending them logs any time you change to a CP3, just so they can confirm things are still ok.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thats what struck me as odd, as there are no markings whatsoever on it. Once I'm ready to install it, I'll shoot an email to darkside to ask.
Malone recommends sending them logs any time you change to a CP3, just so they can confirm things are still ok.
Well I bought the injectors. Just have to wait till I get them. Can you post a pic?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Which is frustrating, because Owain said they didn't need logs or a retune back in 2017...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I suppose I should add that it was on my Stage 3 vehicle.
Same, and I don't recall any markings on mine either.
I opened up a ticket on tunezilla, but with all the conflicting instructions I'm getting, it's almost tempting to have someone like darkside do a proper tune for me in the future (if we all truly need tunes for our CP3's to enable them to be most efficient).

Last edited: