CP3 pump install - it’s installed

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Pretty sure in the original CP3 thread from 2micron, they determined the CP3 did not need to be timed at all. Mine doesn't have any timing tab/pointer.
@JDM Mike 02 2365vklr in my signature

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
CP3 has two pistons, right? So. then to which pump piston stroke would one time the engine?

I guess it is either not critical to lock/time the CP4, or by luck I did not move it when I did my CVCA timing belt, because my car runs perfectly okay, same as before the TB job....knock on wood

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Go back a page and look at @TurboABA 's video of the CP3 pump internals.
And the erWin manual for CVCA/CRUA mentions the timing tab does not need to be perfect when tensioning the belt for the CP4.1

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
CP3 has two pistons, right?
I guess it is either not critical to lock/time the CP4, or by luck I did not move it when I did my CVCA timing belt, because my car runs perfectly okay, same as before the TB job....knock on wood
3 pistons. I agree, not critical. In my example, the HPFP timing affected NVH of the geartrain.

JDM Mike 02

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 1996 Jetta GLS
Added a Nicktane filter kit and rawtek delete.. I’ve put almost 3,000 miles on this setup and I’ve been averaging 52mpg to work (commute from PA to NYC) very pleased with everything.
Need to get a little barb fitting so I can delete that def injector

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice little setup, does that filter come with a bracket, or did you modify the stock one?
The coolant lines for the DEF injector, I used coolant caps to block off back at the hard-line in front of the fuel pump. They're not real easy to get at though!

JDM Mike 02

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 1996 Jetta GLS
Nice little setup, does that filter come with a bracket, or did you modify the stock one?
The coolant lines for the DEF injector, I used coolant caps to block off back at the hard-line in front of the fuel pump. They're not real easy to get at though!
it came with a bracket that didn’t work on my car. Perhaps it works on previous gen TDIs? I just drilled out the spot welds on the factory bracket and filter housing and used that.
Thanks I’ll try that.. would have been pretty easy when I have the front clip off.. not so much now..

VAGent

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hi everybody and Merry Christmas for everyone!!! I’m currently do the test fitment and future installation of Darkside CP3 kit for my mk7 Golf Sportwagen. I’m a little bit confused about height of cp3 pulley compare with upper timing roller (All bolts and nuts torqued by specs) Is it OK or I received wrong parts?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Hard to tell by those pics with the angle, but would shoot Darkside that question as they are pretty quick to respond (though maybe not with the holiday approaching).
The second pic, it appears to be fine but hard to tell with that POV. It looks like it's sitting right where the stock one does.

VAGent

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hard to tell by those pics with the angle, but would shoot Darkside that question as they are pretty quick to respond (though maybe not with the holiday approaching).
The second pic, it appears to be fine but hard to tell with that POV. It looks like it's sitting right where the stock one does.
Already shoot them. They will investigate tomorrow. Im confused because with a stock HPFP and timing the upper roller and HPFP gear are alined.

I marked red difference between roller and gear (3-4mm)

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, now I see.
Where does the belt sit when installed? If it doesn't overhang any of the pulleys, it should probably be just fine.
Looking back through my pics and my pulley is a different design without any adjustment slots (only uses the center nut), but your pulley looks to be sitting higher for sure. Not sure that's right or wrong since it's a different version though.

VAGent

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Ah, now I see.
Where does the belt sit when installed? If it doesn't overhang any of the pulleys, it should probably be just fine.
Looking back through my pics and my pulley is a different design without any adjustment slots (only uses the center nut), but your pulley looks to be sitting higher for sure. Not sure that's right or wrong since it's a different version though.
Belt sits exactly flush on upper pulley. Same like on another pulleys and gears. HPFP gear 3mm out of belt.
will wait respond from Darkside

Tdimrtwo

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon, 15 GSW, 02 Beetle
Was your original cp4.1 giving you any signs of trouble, or are you doing the retrofit before trouble strikes? I do have a 2015 CRUA that I’m considering doing the retrofit on.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Was your original cp4.1 giving you any signs of trouble, or are you doing the retrofit before trouble strikes? I do have a 2015 CRUA that I’m considering doing the retrofit on.
me too for the CVCA (2015 Passat)

VAGent

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
My cp4.1 is still OK. I'm doing this retrofit together with delete emission junk and for the future injectors and turbo upgrade.

VAGent

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
This information for those who want to order cp3 kit from Darkside. I emailed them about mismatch of alignment roller and cp3 gear. They were surprised at this moment. After their verification, they confirmed that their adapter is higher than necessary. I made measurements and their adapter had to be made lower at 3.4mm I will attach photos with the final result. Now everything is in the factory specs and timing belt in the position that should be from the factory

RedMoss

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
I finally got this installed and running. Had a delay waiting for the correct parts to come in stock at Darkside and then ran into further delays due to work and weather.

What’s a good image hosting site ?

This was by no means a quick and simple swap, it’s much easier on the previous generation TDIs. If you’re uncomfortable changing the timing belt and removing the front clip this isn’t for you.

You’ll need to remove the front clip and timing belt to get access to your old pump. The bracket that houses the pump is also the accessory bracket for the alternator and A/C compressor. There are 6 bolts holding this on. You’ll need to unbolt and remove the alternator and unbolt the a/c compressor to pull this bracket off. It then requires extensive modification to be able to mount the CP3 pump.

The kit was ok, the machined adapter did not line up with the 3 holes in the pump bracket. Two would line up but then the adapter was slightly off-center and the pump would not slide through the adapter and the bracket. I had to enlarge all three holes in the pump bracket, install the machined adapter on the pump, place it on the bracket so the pump slide through the hole in the bracket then tighten down the three Allen bolts holding the adapter to the bracket.

The reman cp3 came with a drive gear pressed on, so I had to purchase a gear puller to remove that. The three mounting holes in the pump body need to be enlarged for the included hardware. This was simple with a quality bit and cutting oil.

One of the biggest PIAs was bending the high pressure line to work with this pump.. don’t waste your money on benders from Napa/advance/auto zone you’ll bend them before you bend the fuel line.. I bought a bender from harbor freight that worked but it’s not able to make tight bends.. I used the end of a small cresant wrench to make the tight bends. Would be nice if the kit came with a prebent high pressure line.

And lastly get your ECU tuned for the cp3. I used Malone
I am working on installing my own darkside cp3 kit and having trouble getting the alternator unbolted and subsequent bracket unbolted.
Did you need to remove the entire front end or just the bumper to access the pump bracket, alternator, and AC compressor?

VAGent

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I am working on installing my own darkside cp3 kit and having trouble getting the alternator unbolted and subsequent bracket unbolted.
Did you need to remove the entire front end or just the bumper to access the pump bracket, alternator, and AC compressor?
From my experience it is the best way to remove the entire front end. It took 2-3 hours to remove and put it back together but save you lots of nerves.

RedMoss

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
From my experience it is the best way to remove the entire front end. It took 2-3 hours to remove and put it back together but save you lots of nerves.

Do you have a guide you could point me towards for that?
I've seen guides for other non TDI golfs but I don't know if they'd be applicable.
I've also downloaded all the Irwin guides for my car but I don't know which would have the right information.

VAGent

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
All MK5, MK6, MK7, MK8 models almost the same.

I don't have any manuals, but its really simple steps process:

- disconnect battery
- remove airbox and ducts
- disconnect hood cable, headlights, crash sensors, fan connector, ambient temp sensor, horns
- if you have fog lights, parking sensors or collision brake assist disconnect them too
- drain coolant and disconnect all hoses from radiator
- evacuate freon from AC and disconnect tubes from condenser
- remove grill and bumper
- unscrew headlights bolts (at the sides under bumper, at the bottom behind the headlights)
- unscrew bolts what what connects metal reinforcement on top of headlights to fenders
- unscrew 8 16mm bolts what's holding front entire end on frame

Pretty much that's it, may be I forgot something but just no rush and keep your eyes on everything

Last edited:

RedMoss

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
All MK5, MK6, MK7, MK8 models almost the same.

I don't have any manuals, but its really simple steps process:

- disconnect battery
- remove airbox and ducts
- disconnect hood cable, headlights, crash sensors, fan connector, ambient temp sensor, horns
- if you have fog lights, parking sensors or collision brake assist disconnect them too
- drain coolant and disconnect all hoses from radiator
- evacuate freon from AC and disconnect tubes from condenser
- remove grill and bumper
- unscrew headlights bolts (at the sides under bumper, at the bottom behind the headlights)
- unscrew bolts what what connects metal reinforcement on top of headlights to fenders
- unscrew 8 16mm bolts what's holding front entire end on frame

Pretty much that's it, may be I forgot something but just no rush and keep your eyes on everything

Thank you, none of that sounds too bad except the ac... Do you know of any way to do this without evacuating and refilling the freon?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you, none of that sounds too bad except the ac... Do you know of any way to do this without evacuating and refilling the freon?
to be honest, we installed 4 CP3's so far and never once evac the freon..... instructions for the CP3 install procedure never mention the evac of freon tho.

Edit: all 4 swaps are on the CJAA.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
to be honest, we installed 4 CP3's so far and never once evac the freon..... instructions for the CP3 install procedure never mention the evac of freon tho.
On the MK7 (or CRUA/CVCA), the R90 pumps are too large and require physical modification to the accessory bracket for them to fit and clear the A2W charge cooler.
The R70 pumps do NOT require any of this as they clear just fine...and they supply enough fuel for 350hp+. I think Whitbread has figured out which pumps to use for them, just as 2micron had originally.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
On the MK7 (or CRUA/CVCA), the R90 pumps are too large and require physical modification to the accessory bracket for them to fit and clear the A2W charge cooler.
The R70 pumps do NOT require any of this as they clear just fine...and they supply enough fuel for 350hp+. I think Whitbread has figured out which pumps to use for them, just as 2micron had originally.
ahh gotcha, just added an edit up there. I have considered of CP3 swap for the 2015 Passat with CVCA. will message you on that.

yeah I'm bummed that 2micron folded his business for good before completing the CP3 kit for the CVCA/CRUA's.

RedMoss

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
I managed to get the bracket and everything out by pulling the front end a few inches forward supported by some long bolts. Didn't have to undo the ac.

Now I'm having a really hard time getting this gear off my reman pump from darkside.

How did y'all go about doing this?