CP3 pump install - it’s installed

JDM Mike 02

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 1996 Jetta GLS
For anyone that’s installed a CP3 pump on your CRUA, did you swap over a different pump gear? The kit I got from dark side has an adapter for a gear that bolts on to it but my factory gear does not bolt on. It’s two pieces but seems the first piece is pressed on to the shaft of the pump while the second is held in place by the center nut.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Both the hub pulley and the gear pulley are secured by just the large center nut. The CP4.1 you need that slack in the gear pulley to allow for tensioning of the timing belt. With the CP3 pump, there's no need to time it so the gear pulley can go over the hub pulley without needing to account for belt tensioning.

JDM Mike 02

TDI
I received the wrong pump kit. Darkside has the correct kit on its way to me.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
nice! please do share pics of the CP3. I'm curious due to 2015 Passat CVCA engine.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
more robust design that's proven to last for more hours, also if it fails, it doesn't send shrapnel through the fuel system.

Basically if you never want to worry about the driving line for the next +4 timing belts, invest in a CP3 and DEF delete.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Searched. Most are refurbished. Different tolerances after refurb? Any place that sells an entire pump brand new? Saw few vendors selling a "core". If there is a "core" is there a "shell" or "housing"?

JDM Mike 02

TDI
I finally got this installed and running. Had a delay waiting for the correct parts to come in stock at Darkside and then ran into further delays due to work and weather.

What’s a good image hosting site ?

This was by no means a quick and simple swap, it’s much easier on the previous generation TDIs. If you’re uncomfortable changing the timing belt and removing the front clip this isn’t for you.

You’ll need to remove the front clip and timing belt to get access to your old pump. The bracket that houses the pump is also the accessory bracket for the alternator and A/C compressor. There are 6 bolts holding this on. You’ll need to unbolt and remove the alternator and unbolt the a/c compressor to pull this bracket off. It then requires extensive modification to be able to mount the CP3 pump.

The kit was ok, the machined adapter did not line up with the 3 holes in the pump bracket. Two would line up but then the adapter was slightly off-center and the pump would not slide through the adapter and the bracket. I had to enlarge all three holes in the pump bracket, install the machined adapter on the pump, place it on the bracket so the pump slide through the hole in the bracket then tighten down the three Allen bolts holding the adapter to the bracket.

The reman cp3 came with a drive gear pressed on, so I had to purchase a gear puller to remove that. The three mounting holes in the pump body need to be enlarged for the included hardware. This was simple with a quality bit and cutting oil.

One of the biggest PIAs was bending the high pressure line to work with this pump.. don’t waste your money on benders from Napa/advance/auto zone you’ll bend them before you bend the fuel line.. I bought a bender from harbor freight that worked but it’s not able to make tight bends.. I used the end of a small cresant wrench to make the tight bends. Would be nice if the kit came with a prebent high pressure line.

And lastly get your ECU tuned for the cp3. I used Malone

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
You absolutely should not need to remove the accessory bracket to install the CP3. Unless the R90 version that DS sells is THAT much larger and cant fit between the bracket and charge cooler. If that's the case, I'd rather pull the charge cooler and clean it while it's off the car. They accumulate a lot of oil mist/EGR crud that reduces its efficiency.
I was able to fit my R70 in with the CUAA and it's even larger charger cooler, though I did have to shave a few MMs off the bracket in order to rotate/swivel it down and into the bracket.
Definitely agree on the line bender, spend a bit of money for one that can do tight radii...that line is stiff!

JDM Mike 02

TDI
You absolutely should not need to remove the accessory bracket to install the CP3. Unless the R90 version that DS sells is THAT much larger and cant fit between the bracket and charge cooler. If that's the case, I'd rather pull the charge cooler and clean it while it's off the car. They accumulate a lot of oil mist/EGR crud that reduces its efficiency.
I was able to fit my R70 in with the CUAA and it's even larger charger cooler, though I did have to shave a few MMs off the bracket in order to rotate/swivel it down and into the bracket.
Definitely agree on the line bender, spend a bit of money for one that can do tight radii...that line is stiff!
You’re not modifying the bracket with it installed

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know..that pump looks the same size but hard to tell really. I only had to trim the tiniest bit here in order for it to rotate down and in, and you can see there's about an inch or less of clearance between it and the charge cooler.

JDM Mike 02

TDI
I don't know..that pump looks the same size but hard to tell really. I only had to trim the tiniest bit here in order for it to rotate down and in, and you can see there's about an inch or less of clearance between it and the charge cooler.

The body of the pump wouldn’t physically fit in the factory bracket with the darkside mount adapter. Do you happen to have a picture of your mount adapter?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Why would the 4.1 need timing?

I did lock it when doing the TB on my wife's CRUA (first CR I did), but I let it float for when I did my CVCA since it provided much more freedom.

Plus I didn't want to risk fiddling with that center nut, then potentially struggling for counterhold to torque it back on.

The role of the HPFP is to maintain rail pressure, depending on the demand of the engine. At least that's how I see it, please elaborate on why the need to lock the pump in a CR. It is very true for a VE, not needed at all on PDs, as it would be equivalent to locking the tandem pump when doing a TB job, although granted it is indexed by the cam, hence locked when you lock the cam.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I can't recall where I "think" I've read that, but it's most likely due to the lower flow per stroke.... I think it needs to be in phase with the injectors so that they don't get starved....

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The DS kit is a R90 vs my R70..interesting it's that much larger it requires a decent amount of trimming away. The R90, to my understanding, can flow a bit more but have been told by 2micron that my R70 should do 350hp with slight modifications to the metering valve piston. We'll see how it goes, but that's my target!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't recall where I "think" I've read that, but it's most likely due to the lower flow per stroke.... I think it needs to be in phase with the injectors so that they don't get starved....
But there is flow in excess always, that is why there is always fuel making it all the way back to the tank. Again, I struggle to see why timing the pump on a CR is at all important.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
That doesn't explain, just says it's needed

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I guess it's not a thing then, because it wasn't "explained" in further detail. :rolleyes:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you heard of Thomas?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Speaking from my day job, the frequency of the pump torque can induce some weird dynamic behavior in the drive system. Perhaps they were purposefully trying to have the two CP4 "pump" events occur within a certain window for this same reason?

JDM Mike 02

TDI

I did lock it when doing the TB on my wife's CRUA (first CR I did), but I let it float for when I did my CVCA since it provided much more freedom.

Plus I didn't want to risk fiddling with that center nut, then potentially struggling for counterhold to torque it back on.

The role of the HPFP is to maintain rail pressure, depending on the demand of the engine. At least that's how I see it, please elaborate on why the need to lock the pump in a CR. It is very true for a VE, not needed at all on PDs, as it would be equivalent to locking the tandem pump when doing a TB job, although granted it is indexed by the cam, hence locked when you lock the cam.
I know in the Fords powerstroke it’s to sync the pump strokes with the injectors firing. Perhaps this is the same reason on the TDI?

I personally liked the fact I could lock the pump, crank and cam.. timing belt swap on the CRUA (once you remove all the bs engineers put in the way) is one of the simplest TB jobs I’ve done. With the CP3 pump you are unable to lock it using the same tool but it was still an easy process.

For anyone that hasn’t already done so, throw a zip tie or two on your hood release cable little where it connects by the drivers headlight.. went to pop my hood yesterday and that little door popped open and cable end popped out. I had to use a 10mm wrench in the pouring rain and remove the two bolts that hold the hood latch on.. it’s a royal Pia if you’ve yet to experience it. Need to wedge a piece of wood between the grill and hood and you barely have enough clearance to get the wrench on i.. a long ratchet wrench comes in handy.

JDM Mike 02

TDI
The DS kit is a R90 vs my R70..interesting it's that much larger it requires a decent amount of trimming away. The R90, to my understanding, can flow a bit more but have been told by 2micron that my R70 should do 350hp with slight modifications to the metering valve piston. We'll see how it goes, but that's my target!
What turbo are you going with?