CP3 HPFP on my 2010 Golf 2.0L TDI

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
Woke up at 4am looking at Foretravel motorhomes and all I bought was 2x CP3's for the fleet :) Yukon's setup inspired me! CR170 and dp are going in tomorrow, then we'll see where we go from there :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Woke up at 4am looking at Foretravel motorhomes and all I bought was 2x CP3's for the fleet :) Yukon's setup inspired me! CR170 and dp are going in tomorrow, then we'll see where we go from there :)
Nice! You'll love the setup. I occasionally find myself looking at motorhomes, but the lousy fuel economy has prevented any purchases so far. If they only still made Vixen RV's with the bmw turbodiesel, they might get my money. Pretty amazing little RV's that claimed 30 mpg. Go Black Bears!

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
Nice! You'll love the setup. I occasionally find myself looking at motorhomes, but the lousy fuel economy has prevented any purchases so far. If they only still made Vixen RV's with the bmw turbodiesel, they might get my money. Pretty amazing little RV's that claimed 30 mpg. Go Black Bears!
Car54 has me convinced I need a motorhome :). I didn't realize there are so many Mainahs on here. Met a lot of great guys at TDiFest. And yes!! go Black Bears!!

assaultwagen

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagen
I scrolled through most of this, is this a kit available for purchase? If so, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I emailed Andrew few days ago. He's on pause until this vw headache rolls over.

Honestly for cost I plan to filter my cp4 until it grinds itself, and probably buy another cp4.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
^lol.. that will work, but those extra mpgs from the cp3 sure are temping... drive far enough and it pays for itself.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Mileage gain is that substantial with the cp3.? Just from overall crank resistance difference?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
one would expect the opposite due to the higher volumetric flow of the cp3, without recalibrating the metering valve/pump properly

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
one would expect the opposite due to the higher volumetric flow of the cp3, without recalibrating the metering valve/pump properly
^lol.. that will work, but those extra mpgs from the cp3 sure are temping... drive far enough and it pays for itself.
Alright. We need some numbers. 'nuff said.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Alright. We need some numbers. 'nuff said.

My fuel mileage went up, that's all I can say. My Fuelly was increasing but I stopped tracking it and don't pay attention anymore. I don't think it matters how much fuel is pumped, it's the fuel that is burned during combustion. I believe any excess fuel pumped is returned back into the system, but I'm not an expert by any means. All I know is there is less parasitic drag on the system with this pump which equals less energy consumed to turn the pump...increasing fuel mileage. I don't think it's a huge jump, but it's definitely measurable.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Hm. Andrew gave me a # for retro. It was up there.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

250k on original pump, no filter, and I'm a sitting duck right now.

$500 to filter this time bomb. Or just go cp3. At that point, cp4 bypass and such isn't needed, plus is a return filter needed for this cp3?

I'd hate to spend money to protect this cp4, then later go cp3.

I'm stuck to just stay cp4 and filter, or go cp3 if buying anything.....

Going on an 09, getting rust everywhere...

I'm rolling 30k a year in mileage.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
My fuel mileage went up, that's all I can say. My Fuelly was increasing but I stopped tracking it and don't pay attention anymore. I don't think it matters how much fuel is pumped, it's the fuel that is burned during combustion. I believe any excess fuel pumped is returned back into the system, but I'm not an expert by any means. All I know is there is less parasitic drag on the system with this pump which equals less energy consumed to turn the pump...increasing fuel mileage. I don't think it's a huge jump, but it's definitely measurable.
compressing fuel to lets say 1k bar and then returning to tank more like you would do with a cp4 doesnt sound like decreasing drag or? :p

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Hm. Andrew gave me a # for retro. It was up there.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

250k on original pump, no filter, and I'm a sitting duck right now.

$500 to filter this time bomb. Or just go cp3. At that point, cp4 bypass and such isn't needed, plus is a return filter needed for this cp3?

I'd hate to spend money to protect this cp4, then later go cp3.

I'm stuck to just stay cp4 and filter, or go cp3 if buying anything.....

Going on an 09, getting rust everywhere...

I'm rolling 30k a year in mileage.

If I didn't already have both kits, and it was available, I'd go cp3... I'd run the extra filter just because it's a good price, supports a great guy, slows wear throughout the system, looks cool, and helps introverts like me start a conversation, lol.. That's just me though, it's not a "right answer." Depends a lot on circumstances, our car only has 85k mi (~25k/yr)... with your mileage, maybe you got a "good" pump, and simply getting the both kits might serve you just fine... for all we know the cleaner fuel is helping prolong the life of the cp4 indefinitely (although some of the design flaws seem pretty apparent)... Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think we only know of one failure with a kit in place... Most importantly the kit worked; maybe the pump was already in "fuse lit" mode... The kits are truly a remarkable value for the scale of production, the value of everything they protect, and the time and energy I am sure Andrew has poured into his R&D. Cheers!

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Uhhhhhggggg, such a decision. Investment like this is a tough one!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Uhhhhhggggg, such a decision. Investment like this is a tough one!

I look at it this way...
Spend $ (I don't think the price has been finalized yet so we can't say for sure how much it'll cost) now on the CP3 kit and never have to worry about the HPFP gernading again.

Get the 2 micron filter kit to contain the damage in the event of a HPFP failure to the pump alone. Only thing that would need to be replaced in this case is the HPFP and filters. Then of coarse flush the contaminated fuel lines.

Or you could leave it to chance and if it does go out beyond 120k (VW extended the HPFP warrenty until 120k miles) miles you're on the hook for $5000+ in repairs.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Or you could leave it to chance and if it does go out beyond 120k (VW extended the HPFP warrenty until 120k miles) miles you're on the hook for $5000+ in repairs.
Over 230k. December 09 too.

Meh, I'll just buy the filter. I got another 100k before an8ther belt.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Over 230k. December 09 too.

Meh, I'll just buy the filter. I got another 100k before an8ther belt.

Just to clarify, this is the filter kit I was referring to:
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375803

So yeah if you're past 120k miles and are keeping the car at a stage 3 tune or below it's the best bang for the buck insurance to keep the possible pump failure costs to a minimum.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Yeah, we're on the same page with the filter.

I really don't mind bolting in another cp4 as long as I'm plumbed to prevent other headaches.

I've been getting really sloppy with optilube to prolong it until andrew can get me a kit.

Like 7oz a tank. Haha.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
Just a quick CP3 real world update:

Installed Andrew's CP3 kit at ~122,000 miles with a timing belt.
It's running perfect. Zero issues. Currently at 133,000 miles.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Just a quick CP3 real world update:
Installed Andrew's CP3 kit at ~122,000 miles with a timing belt.
It's running perfect. Zero issues. Currently at 133,000 miles.
11,000 worry free miles so far, feels good eh? :)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Does anyone has real world data of rpm limit of cp3 afaik there is no OEM apllication that spin the pump so fast as we do on 4 cyl tdi. I mean for easy drivers that shift at 2k5 most of the time there is no risk, but for those who race and have 2260 or bigger and shift at 5-5k5 i could maybe think this is out of the cp3's confort zone?

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
Does anyone has real world data of rpm limit of cp3 afaik there is no OEM apllication that spin the pump so fast as we do on 4 cyl tdi. I mean for easy drivers that shift at 2k5 most of the time there is no risk, but for those who race and have 2260 or bigger and shift at 5-5k5 i could maybe think this is out of the cp3's confort zone?
The specific CP3 pump in Andrews kit is sourced from an existing European diesel automobile. So this specific pump has been specifically designed and tested by a European OEM for small diesel engine applications. So rest assured this CP3 wasn't designed to be a low rpm irrigation pump or anything like that.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Bench it around 10k Ina closed loop and see how long it lasts.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
The specific CP3 pump in Andrews kit is sourced from an existing European diesel automobile. So this specific pump has been specifically designed and tested by a European OEM for small diesel engine applications. So rest assured this CP3 wasn't designed to be a low rpm irrigation pump or anything like that.
Sure I know what engine it comes from, there it spins at cam speed.. You spin it at crank speed..

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke

I run mine up to 5-5.25k rpm routinely w no problems at all. Have about 12k miles on it so far. Just did a 2200 mile road trip a couple days ago.

xaM-D

TDI
2011 Jetta TDi; 2011 Touareg TDi
I'm just curious whether this CP3 pump will work in a 2011 Touareg TDi?