CP3 HPFP on my 2010 Golf 2.0L TDI

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
They are reliable as all get out.
Cummins has them in their Dodge Diesels and we do lots of fun stuff with em.
Starve them till we put a proper lift pump in.
Over work em puttin more fuel in to the injectors and they just don't .....seem to be a problem
That's really good to hear!

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Yep, one of the strongest pumps out there from what I have read and been told by numerous diesel techs. Psyched to have this on the car now!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Not only is the CP3 tough as nails, but it can easily support the extra fueling needed with performance upgrades. Congrats Yukon! I can't wait for Andrew to put this kit into production.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Ok, logging last night did not affect mileage at all. I'm still WAY ahead of where I normally am as far as mileage/fuel level for a tank. What a great added bonus, one that I wasn't expecting at all. Come to find out, it takes less effort to spin the CP3, creating less drag for the motor. Plus it's a more efficient pump...win win :)

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
^see, now you are just sowing the seeds of jealousy, haha. :) Guess we will see that 43 in your sig. trending upwards!

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
^see, now you are just sowing the seeds of jealousy, haha. :) Guess we will see that 43 in your sig. trending upwards!
Haha, sorry....really not trying to, just exciting! If it keeps going the way it is, it should go up! As long as I can keep my foot out of the Stage III :D

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'd be more then happy to help test this pump on my otherwise stock (for now) car ;)

jaymzaugust

TDI
2009 Jetta
I know this is probably waaay premature, but does anyone have thoughts on the 2Micron filtration kits versus a CP3 retrofit as way of preventing and mitigating the CP4.1 HPFP metal storm?

I would imagine the biggest deciding factors are cost, and also if you're above or below the new 120k mile extended warranty. Just wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I know this is probably waaay premature, but does anyone have thoughts on the 2Micron filtration kits versus a CP3 retrofit as way of preventing and mitigating the CP4.1 HPFP metal storm?
You actually kinda pegged the difference in your question. The 2micron fuel system modifications (both) are about mitigating the damage if/when the CP4.2 self-destructs. The CP3 replacement HPFP is all about preventing the self-destruction of the HPFP in the first place. They both tackle the issue from opposite directions.

Have Fun!

Don

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I would say the CP3 is a step down the power modding path whereas the filtration kits are a preventative measure headed down the stock to lightly-modded path.

My $.02

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I would say the CP3 is a step down the power modding path whereas the filtration kits are a preventative measure headed down the stock to lightly-modded path.

My $.02
So since I am planning to stay with my stage 2 tune and my Golf is under 30k miles, there really isn't a benefit to go with a CP3?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
So since I am planning to stay with my stage 2 tune and my Golf is under 30k miles, there really isn't a benefit to go with a CP3?
Reading over this and other threads about the CP3 pump it looks like the CP3 is easier to spin.
Which = less parasitic drag.
Which = more mpg.

I see no negatives to the pump even for those who have a less aggressive tune on their TDI :cool:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Reading over this and other threads about the CP3 pump it looks like the CP3 is easier to spin.
Which = less parasitic drag.
Which = more mpg.

I see no negatives to the pump even for those who have a less aggressive tune on their TDI :cool:
Only potential downside would be cost. We'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

C

Central Scrutinizer

As I see it, the CP3 is a preventative measure, while the PureFlow/ContainFlow kits are protective measures...in other words, should never fail, versus minimizing damage if/when it fails.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
^I see your point, but as someone stated, someone with hpfp failure w/ 2 micron kits had "soft failures" and advance warning... I daresay it's too late for some pumps, and only a matter of time with or without kits? But, if a cp4 is in good shape when that 1 micron filter goes in there MAYBE (given decent fuel quality and/or additives) the kits offer some protection to the pump, as well as the rest of the fuel system... NO EVIDENCE HERE, just a "hunch"... The failure rate is significant, but low enough that once can hope the kit might help cp4 longevity... and if not, oh well... cp3!!! :)

Now, given the other benefits of the cp3 (and depending on the cost of this swap when it is ready), I could see someone going that route instead of using the pure flow adapter (I'd still use contain flow with cp3) even without plans to modify/tune... Who wouldn't want a proven pump and more mpgs? :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'm curious too.

Are the cp4s sensitive to floaties or straight up garbage design to battle low sulphur.

Sent from an unlocked HTC One with CM12.1

Canary5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg. Malone Stage II
Subscribed!

Definitely would be interested in doing this to my car. If testing goes well, will there be a kit made? If so, timeframe?

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I'm curious too.

Are the cp4s sensitive to floaties or straight up garbage design to battle low sulphur.

Sent from an unlocked HTC One with CM12.1
There doesn't seem to be any real "definitive" data that proves to me that it's bad fuel, or a bad pump design. My opinion is that it's a little bit of both. So, going with a more robust pump, and filtering the fuel the best I can, was the way to go for me.

Subscribed!

Definitely would be interested in doing this to my car. If testing goes well, will there be a kit made? If so, timeframe?
This is something I can't answer, as that's 2Micron's realm. I'm sure he will provide more information about that, in due time.

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
Add me to the list of customers if/when this is offered. I am pleased to say that I have had both 2Microns PureFlow and ContainFlow kits installed on my TDI for some time now without any issue. Andrew, you're a genius! Keep it up.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have both kits you might as well wait for the cp4 to die! Then keep the contain flow and get the cp3. :) I'm willing (I think) to see just how far my cp4 is willing to go (then again better fuel economy can be temping too!).

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Nice work!

What kind of maximum recommanded railpressure is ok to run with this cp3 pump? Also What kind of maximum fueling do they provide at high rpm, lets say 4000.4500 rpm. either mg/stroke or hp would be fine to get an idea. Stock cp4 does 250-280 depening on the car and probaly revision of the pump (later cars tend to be able to hold more pressure as whereas older cars drop off around 250-260 hp mark)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'd be curious to see what happens with it once you get in the 230-250hp range. My Stage 3 graphs look just as good as yours, its once you get over that certain threshold where you start to have problems.

Do you have any plans to upgrade your turbo? Once I run out of fuel and all avenues exhausted, I'll be testing CP4.2 and CP3.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I'd be curious to see what happens with it once you get in the 230-250hp range. My Stage 3 graphs look just as good as yours, its once you get over that certain threshold where you start to have problems.

Do you have any plans to upgrade your turbo? Once I run out of fuel and all avenues exhausted, I'll be testing CP4.2 and CP3.
Possibly. I might consider a 2260 eventually if I can get one for the right price. I just installed the CR170 a month ago, so I don't know how soon I'd want to do it. If I had the parts sitting there, it would be in though lol

Need to upgrade my clutch and intercooler as well, though...

WalkingDrunken

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
In the last picture on the first post. Is that the lift pump on the right side there? So you only run a single pump with the CP3?

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
In the last picture on the first post. Is that the lift pump on the right side there? So you only run a single pump with the CP3?
That's the Electric Auxiliary fuel pump. With the CP3 pump, you only need the in-tank lift pump, as the the CP3 has it's own positive displacement gear pump :D

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
That's the Electric Auxiliary fuel pump. With the CP3 pump, you only need the in-tank lift pump, as the the CP3 has it's own positive displacement gear pump :D
If unplugged, will lights glow and a tune needed? Or is it a dummy pump and safe to remove and ecm doesn't care?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
If unplugged, will lights glow and a tune needed? Or is it a dummy pump and safe to remove and ecm doesn't care?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Mine wasn't tuned out, I just unplugged it, No issues at all!